Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:24 PM   #15

Probably lots of opinions here but, what type is the best to get? I have 2 tow vehicles.

mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2016, 11:02 AM   #16

The choice of what type is best, falls into the category of personal preference, kind of Blondes, Brunettes or Redhead. I currently have an RVI Brake. It sits on the floor of the toad. Some Like that type and some don't. Some like air actuated versus electric. Some Like a permanently installed unit versus the box on the floor, while others like the cable operated. Each has it's good points and not so good. So in my mind, you have a "What kind do you prefer" question. Do the research, and you will find a wealth of information here. They ALL do one thing, stop the toad when you hit the brakes in the coach. How they do it, well now you're getting into it.

BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:54 PM   #17

Carolina Campers
Auxiliary Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
... They ALL do one thing, stop the toad when you hit the brakes in the coach...

Well, they actually do another very important thing, they stop the toad if it brakes away from the coach... So you don't end up with a battering ram the size of your toad hurling off by itself at freeway speeds, without any control... That is why you have a "break away cable" connected to the coach, with a small pin that gets pulled out if you have a break away occur. When that pin is pulled, the toad's auxiliary break kicks in and stops the toad, hopefully before it kills someone.

Someone said that having an auxiliary brake saved a young girl from being hit, because the driver was able to stop quicker. Well, can you picture an unmanned vehicle hurling down the road with no means of stoping...

So, yes, you need an auxiliary breaking system... Not only for your safety in stopping, but for everyone else's safety that may be in the path when a breakaway happens...

There are more than one reason that so many states require an auxiliary break system.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:06 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BounderDan View Post
Yes. Most states require brakes on towed vehicles based on varied (Google 'em) weight limits. Most cars clearly exceed these weight limits by 1000 lbs. or more. We tow a 2300 lb. Saturn Vue with our DP (air brakes) and supplemental braking on the toad (BrakeBuddy) makes a vary noticeable difference on a hard stop! I learned this when failing to fully plug-in the 12v power supply. Enjoy your trip!
Not always based on weight. Some, like WA, OR and CA go by a performance spec. when towing a motorized vehicle. Stop from XX mph in XX feet and you're fine. WA and CA are the same, OR is stricter.
Our Ody is less than 10% of the weight of our MH and the MH has all wheel disk brakes so I have no problem stopping it.
But, for safety sake I do have the BrakeMaster unit.
Laws for trailers are sometimes different than those for motorized vehicles being towed. In the three states mentioned above it changes the designation to a "combination" and laws/rules change.
In fact I have yet to see one of those charts that lists the towing laws get them right.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Not always based on weight. Some, like WA, OR and CA go by a performance spec. when towing a motorized vehicle. Stop from XX mph in XX feet and you're fine. WA and CA are the same, OR is stricter.
Our Ody is less than 10% of the weight of our MH and the MH has all wheel disk brakes so I have no problem stopping it.
Laws for trailers are sometimes different than those for motorized vehicles being towed. In the three states mentioned above it changes the designation to a "combination" and laws/rules change.
In fact I have yet to see one of those charts that lists the towing laws get them right.
Mr_D
I agree

BTW, IMO many RVers who have an auxiliary braking system on their toad is because they "think" they need one... (the "auxiliary brake business" is driven by MISINFORMATION and PARANOIA).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 03-09-2016, 08:58 AM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
What are you towing and how are you towing it?

If you are towing it on a dolly that is equipped with a braking system, maybe not...
If you'd look carefully is signature, the guy has a Chevrolet Malibu !
Old 03-09-2016, 09:12 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My thoughts are, I'd rather have them and not need them; than need them and not have them.

I really needed them a couple weeks ago north of Parker on Route 95.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:15 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Once the towed vehicle breaks away from you, will it now need to meet the performance specs ?

How do the 3 states address that ?
Old 03-09-2016, 09:37 AM   #23

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Alpine Owners Club
I am chiming in simply to ask; If you get in accident, how do they test your "combination's" stopping distance, or should you have it tested beforehand and where/who administers the test? I'm positive that I don't know everything,but the towed vehicle regulations( not the actual law or code book) I've seen pertain to the weight of what is being towed with no mention of weight ratio to towing vehicle.There is also some information (physics stuff) about how much force is applied by a vehicle weighing x amount traveling x fast , basically it's a tremendous amount more than the weight of the towed vehicle. Bottom line is that the right thing to do is use a braking system on the towed!
Old 03-09-2016, 09:55 AM   #24
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I thought if you are legal in your home state you'll be legal in any state you pass through regardless of the laws of the state you are visiting. Otherwise you'd need to get a Texas exempt CDL if you live out of state and drive your motor home across Texas.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:33 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I thought if you are legal in your home state you'll be legal in any state you pass through regardless of the laws of the state you are visiting. Otherwise you'd need to get a Texas exempt CDL if you live out of state and drive your motor home across Texas.
barmcd
Although your state's "drivers licence", "vehicle registration" and "licence plates" are legal in any state you pass through, (or drive in)... each individual state has their own "motor vehicle equipment requirements" which you must meet when driving through, (or in), that state.

BTW you can't legally ignore a different state's equipment requirements any more than you can legally ignore the speed limit on interstate highways in a different state because the interstate highway speed limit is higher in your state.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 03-09-2016, 07:10 PM   #26

Carolina Campers
Auxiliary Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by normandlegra View Post
If you'd look carefully is signature, the guy has a Chevrolet Malibu !

Well, that explains a lot..... If it was a Ford Tornado, it would mean something else altogether.... I can't tell you what it would mean if he had a '62 Cadillac, with fins and a tilt tail light for the accessing the gas cap....
Old 03-09-2016, 07:29 PM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSteer View Post
I am chiming in simply to ask; If you get in accident, how do they test your "combination's" stopping distance, or should you have it tested beforehand and where/who administers the test? I'm positive that I don't know everything,but the towed vehicle regulations( not the actual law or code book) I've seen pertain to the weight of what is being towed with no mention of weight ratio to towing vehicle.There is also some information (physics stuff) about how much force is applied by a vehicle weighing x amount traveling x fast , basically it's a tremendous amount more than the weight of the towed vehicle. Bottom line is that the right thing to do is use a braking system on the towed!
Do as I have done: Read the laws of the various states and you'll find it. As I said none of the charts I've seen are correct. Most are taken direct from the AAA listing for towing non-motorized vehicles like TT's, then it is by weight as you say.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:31 PM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Not on vehicle equipment, you must be legal in each and every state you go into or through which is unlike drivers licenses and insurance. You are confusing two completely different things.

Tags
brakes, brake