Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2016, 06:16 AM   #1

Auxiliary Braking on the Toad is a Good Thing!!!

I broke the coach out of storage yesterday. I drove over with the new Grand Cherokee, hooker her up for the first time and put the RVI Brake in and hooked it up. My travel distance is only 3 1/2 miles to home, but better safe than sorry, especially on the first trip with the new toad. I make it to 1/2 mile from my house. I'm in the right lane doing 40 in a 40 MPH zone. I look ahead about 150 feet and there is a county police car sitting at a stop sign on the right. at about 100 feet from me, she turns on her lights and pulls right out across my lane and STOPS! All I can say is, BOTH sets of brakes worked well, and I stopped about 8 feet from her. as you can imagine, all kinds of stuff slid off surfaces, even the stuff on the rubber grip mats. The cop then looks up at me like "what are you looking at me like that for?" Some people should not be allowed to carry guns. If that's all the common sense she has, we are in trouble!

End of Rant!
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2016, 07:22 AM   #2

I know what you mean. We all make mistakes, but the one you mention seems to happen more and more. I guess they get tunnel vision and only see what they are after and forget everyone else.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:16 AM   #3

Glad you and the rig are OK except for cleaning up the mess. I'd add that folks that drive RV's without toad brakes fall into the same category as the cop. These brakes are important.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:08 PM   #4

I am looking for some direction on this topic. I am told by my local Camping World that due to the weight of my 2009 Jeep Wrangler, that I do not need a toad braking system. I am looking for feedback on this, as well as input as to the dynamic that while a braking system for this toad my in fact be subjective, It seems that the need for a break away break of some sort is not? Any feedback would be appreciated. This is my first toad and brand new to the concept of towing a toad
behind my RV.
Eaglefreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:13 PM   #5

2009 Jeep Wrangler Toad Braking

I am new to this long term RV'ing and pulling a toad. I was told by my local Camping World that due to the weight of my Wrangler, I do not need a supplemental braking system to tow it behind my RV? While this MAY be subjective, it seems not to some, and at a mimimum, do I not need a break away breaking system of some sort? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as ramp up for hitting the road this next year with my family.
Eaglefreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:13 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglefreedom View Post
I am looking for some direction on this topic. I am told by my local Camping World that due to the weight of my 2009 Jeep Wrangler, that I do not need a toad braking system. I am looking for feedback on this, as well as input as to the dynamic that while a braking system for this toad my in fact be subjective, It seems that the need for a break away break of some sort is not? Any feedback would be appreciated. This is my first toad and brand new to the concept of towing a toad
behind my RV.
You need to do the research for yourself. The rules for pulling a trailer do not apply to towing a vehicle in Texas. We have rules for trailer towing--from small two wheel trailers up to long pole trailers. Some of the rules are based on weight and others on speed. THEN you have rules for what they call vehicle towing and saddle towing. Saddle towing is what we call a tow dolly. Some other states are the same and some are not. Most places that sell trailers recite the trailer towing rules and not vehicle towing rules.

BTW, I'd get a brake system for the TOAD whether it needed one or not.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:43 PM   #7

Auxilary Braking on the Toad is a Good Thing!!!

Quote:
behind my RV.

There is a little girl on a bicycle that is not dead because I could stop sooner. And I am not in jail.
I toad a Wrangler, and without aux breaking would have been illegally towing in that State.
Just because it may be legal where you live does not carry over to other States. And a breakeaway is also required in some States; what the heck, it's another safety feature.
And CW does not always steer you straight.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:39 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I am new to this long term RV'ing and pulling a toad. I was told by my local Camping World that due to the weight of my Wrangler, I do not need a supplemental braking system to tow it behind my RV? While this MAY be subjective, it seems not to some, and at a mimimum, do I not need a break away breaking system of some sort? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as ramp up for hitting the road this next year with my family.
I towed a friend's Wrangler without a braking system for many miles. When I bought my Wrangler Sport, the first thing I added was an RVI2 brake. I can tell a major difference in stopping with the braking system versus without one. I would never have another toad without one. While you may be legal in your state, if you ever travel outside of it you will be illegal in states that require a braking system. Unlike driver's license reciprocity laws, you are required to follow the equipment laws in whatever state you travel through.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
I broke the coach out of storage yesterday. I drove over with the new Grand Cherokee, hooker her up for the first time and put the RVI Brake in and hooked it up.
Bill,

Are you happy with how your Bay Star tows your new Grand Cherokee? We have a '13 Wrangler but our other car is caught in the VW dieselgate mess. Depending on how the whole thing plays out we might consider buying a Grand Cherokee as a replacement. Then we would be able to use either of our two vehicles as toads. Plus give us the ability to use the Grand Cherokee to tow the Wrangler.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
Bill,

Are you happy with how your Bay Star tows your new Grand Cherokee? We have a '13 Wrangler but our other car is caught in the VW dieselgate mess. Depending on how the whole thing plays out we might consider buying a Grand Cherokee as a replacement. Then we would be able to use either of our two vehicles as toads. Plus give us the ability to use the Grand Cherokee to tow the Wrangler.
Avid_dk

I towed our 2015 Cherokee for about 2,500 miles last year and our Bay Star had no issues what so ever. The 2016 Grand Cherokee is a little over 500 lbs heavier, and I haven't towed it enough yet, but I did add a 5 Star Tune. We are headed to the TN mountains in the Fall, so it's jus a little insurance. I will let you know. I have to love the Grand Cherokee!
Old 03-30-2016, 07:56 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Read this if you do not have a braking system on your toad.

Supplemental Braking: The Moment Of Truth

I know of two elderly ladies in SC are alive today because I had
brakes on my toad. They inadvertently pulled out right in front
of me, and I missed them by less than 10'.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:59 PM   #12

Quote:
I can say with ABSOLUTE certainty, that had I not had auxiliary brakes in the Grand Cherokee today, I would have hit and hurt if not killed that police officer. There is no way I would have stopped in time.

Under normal circumstances, you may get by without auxiliary brakes, if everything goes as planned. I didn't NEED auxiliary brakes for the majority of my drive home. But for those 5 seconds, they paid for themselves. You don't get the brakes for normal driving. You get them to give yourself the best possible chance of stopping in an emergency. IMHO
Old 03-30-2016, 08:36 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The laws of physics apply in all 50 states.

That toad behind you possesses lots of energy (kinetic energy = 1/2 mass X velocity^2) when you're underway. Before you (and the toad) stop, all of that energy must be dissipated. That can be from brakes or impact with another object.

Toad braking WILL decrease your stopping distance, possibly preventing impact with another object.

Why take a chance, regardless of the particular laws in a stste.

The laws of physics apply in all 50 states (and everywhere else, too)!

Take care,
Stu
Old 04-01-2016, 04:51 AM   #14

Most people, me included, have used scare tactics when talking about the use of auxiliary brakes for the toad. To put it simply, nobody wants to wreck their coach. It does happen, and sometimes people get hurt or killed. If somebody did get hurt or killed, and I hadn't taken every possible step to be able to stop my coach and toad quickly for whatever reason (money, hook up hassle, or the legal requirements), I wouldn't think very much of myself, especially if it was a family member that got hurt. I think we have both a legal and moral obligation to protect those around us. If our hitch should fail, and it does happen, in our case there would be a 4,600 lbs free wheeling missile that's going to go somewhere and hit something or somebody. At least with the aux brakes and the breakaway switch, it will start slowing itself down. It will probably still hit something or somebody, but maybe it will be going slower. One simple question. If you knew the front bakes on your coach were not working at all, would you still head out on a trip? Consider the toad brakes your rear-rear brakes. Now ask yourself that same question. it's pretty much the same thing.

In the end, it's a personal choice, whether you are legally obligated or not.

I will now get off the stump, and let somebody else talk

Tags
toad