Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:01 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Auxiliary Tow Light Hookup?

When I was towing a small Hyundai I was happy using just the tow dolly brake/turn lights - there was plenty of clearance to see them from behind the tow'd. Now I'll be towing a Ford Edge and it's considerably longer and wider, possibly cutting down the lights' visibility.

Legally, in Nevada, I'm not required to use auxiliary tow lights, but I figure the more the merrier... especially towing the Edge. I saw these tow lights and figured they'd be just fine, except I'm wondering what's the best way to connect them?

Ideally, I'd light to keep the dolly lights on as well and have these auxiliary lights split off from some kind of Y-connector on the rig. I couldn't find anything like that, but I think it's because I'm not exactly sure of what to look for so I'm probably not using the best search terms.

Any ideas? What should I be searching for, or... is there a better / faster / easier way to connect the auxiliary lights?

Thanks in advance!

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2016, 06:34 PM   #2

splice in a 4 by 4 plug onto your current 4 wire setup.. color for color...

if you do not do wiring and soldering... any trailer shop can do it for a small fee.

and many use the magnet type setups.
but use felt between magnets and the paint.

Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:46 PM   #3

We use the Harbor Freight one's. They stay in place fairly well. I just plug them into the 4 pin flat connector next to the 7 pin round one.

When you string the wire route it under the hood back to the door pillar so you do not have it laying on paint in the wind. Trapped road grit is great sand paper. ;-) We route the wires through the vehicle and out the edge of the tailgate so there is only about a foot outside in the back in case a light gets knocked off. In front I use a bit of duck tape to keep the wire stable. I also lengthened the stock cable to make everything fit the way I like it.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:25 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another option is to install a harness on your Ford with a plug at the front and a plug at the rear.

Then plug your lights into the rear, and use a short patch cable to connect the front.
makes connections a snap.

Dan
Old 03-19-2016, 08:30 PM   #5
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just be sure the model Edge you are towing can be towed in the fashion you are intending.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:34 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Hammer View Post
splice in a 4 by 4 plug onto your current 4 wire setup.. color for color...
Yeah, I'm imagining this is exactly what I'll have to end up doing because I cannot find a pre-wired Y-connector anywhere. I don't get it... I can't be the first one trying something like this But, I'll make it work.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:38 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
We use the Harbor Freight one's. They stay in place fairly well. I just plug them into the 4 pin flat connector next to the 7 pin round one.
Interesting... I don't think I have a 4-pin connector next to my 7-pin connector, but then again I guess I've never really looked that hard. I really HOPE I have both... that would make things so much easier.

And yes, the Harbor Freight lights will work fine, but I'm planning on buying red and amber to separate the stop from the turn signals. Not 100% certain how I'm going to mount them yet, but that's the easy part.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:43 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Another option is to install a harness on your Ford with a plug at the front and a plug at the rear.
Installing the lights on the car isn't the issue. The problem is having the lights on the car AND the dolly working at the same time. The dolly plugs into the 7-pin connector so I don't have anywhere to plug in the 4-pin connector for the aux lights on the back of the car.

But I do like the harness idea

Old 03-20-2016, 02:58 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Just be sure the model Edge you are towing can be towed in the fashion you are intending.
Well, it's a FWD and I'm towing it on a dolly... pretty sure it'll be ok In fact, I know it will since we confirmed it in Ford's own 2013 towing guide before we bought it.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:52 AM   #10

A splitter like this

I temporarily used lights like this but found the magnets were not enough to hold the lights. I had to Velcro them to the luggage rack of the Equinox.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 05:22 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
To follow up on the Bruss' post, here's a link to a Google search for a four-flat trailer wiring splitter, which turned up additional products, such as this one.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 05:36 AM   #12

We added deck mounted magnetic lights when we towed our Buick LeSabre on a dolly. Rather than splice into the wiring harness with a 4 connector plug we used a 6 connector plug and socket assembly. We didn't need all 6 pins, but the socket came with a mounting bracket that could be permanently attached to the tongue of the dolly. We mounted the plug end to the light harness so the lights could be easily connected and disconnected.

Our lights came with plastic disks to place on the deck lid before attaching the lights. This helps prevent the magnets from scratching the painted surface. If yours don't come with something similar I suggest you find or make something. Also before putting down the barriers wipe the area with a damp cloth. Any dirt or dust caught between the barrier and the deck lid will act as sandpaper and scratch the deck lid
Old 03-20-2016, 06:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
A splitter like this
Wryly Blithe
Or this "Y splitter":
RV camper Trailer 7WAY Plug "Y" Adapter 1 MA to 2 FM | eBay

AND one of these "adapters":
http://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Tools-.../dp/B0088JR9X6
Old 03-20-2016, 07:21 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryly Blithe View Post
When I was towing a small Hyundai I was happy using just the tow dolly brake/turn lights - there was plenty of clearance to see them from behind the tow'd. Now I'll be towing a Ford Edge and it's considerably longer and wider, possibly cutting down the lights' visibility.

Legally, in Nevada, I'm not required to use auxiliary tow lights, but I figure the more the merrier... especially towing the Edge. I saw these tow lights and figured they'd be just fine, except I'm wondering what's the best way to connect them?

Ideally, I'd light to keep the dolly lights on as well and have these auxiliary lights split off from some kind of Y-connector on the rig. I couldn't find anything like that, but I think it's because I'm not exactly sure of what to look for so I'm probably not using the best search terms.

Any ideas? What should I be searching for, or... is there a better / faster / easier way to connect the auxiliary lights?

Thanks in advance!
I had a 4 prong plug wired into the dolly's light system, Then I could plug aux lights into the dolly whenever I needed to.

Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, tow