Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:22 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
I will be purchasing an auxilary brakeing device for the toad soon. I am debating on the brake buddy or the brake buddy vantage. I am curious as to how one knows how much pressure is to be set for effective braking? With the vantage I am understanding that one can adjust the pressure from the control in the coach as versus guessing with trial and error to find a proper setting. Does the light activated on the remote relate acurately as to when the toad brakes are applied?

2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2008, 06:22 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I will be purchasing an auxilary brakeing device for the toad soon. I am debating on the brake buddy or the brake buddy vantage. I am curious as to how one knows how much pressure is to be set for effective braking? With the vantage I am understanding that one can adjust the pressure from the control in the coach as versus guessing with trial and error to find a proper setting. Does the light activated on the remote relate acurately as to when the toad brakes are applied?

2007 Jeep Wrangler
Old 02-02-2008, 06:28 AM   #3

I have an Even Brake by Roadmaster, which is similar to the Brake Buddy. It has 3 sensitivity settings, which I keep on the lowest setting.

I think most would agree that you do not want the toad brakes to actuate under light braking events, as the coach is capable of braking both units. Especially if your coach is a diesel, you do not want the toad brakes actuating when the engine brake actuates.

With my system set a low sensitivity, the toad brakes actuate under heavy braking, such as coming to a sudden stop when a traffic light turns faster than you expect.

This provides me the safety of toad braking under sudden stop situations and also provides me the safety of a break-away system.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:38 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I have the Brake Buddy "Classic" bought before it was a classic.
To andwer your questions... The indicator light does accurately reflect the brake's usage. The pressure you should use is easily figured by trial and error and from the manual.
I do think I will switch to a true "proportional" system as soon as I can figure out which will best suit my needs, but the Brake Buddy used correctly (as additional help in a sudden stop)is certainly adequate.
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:24 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Please post your outcome and final decision. I too will be purchasing something very soon. I did call Blue Ox today who told me the Apollo is out of production, done, no more.
Seems BB is the least invasive system. Anxious to hear of your results
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:44 AM   #6

I just bought Saturn Vue and am about to buy Southwind 32'.

As I get prices for braking system (and tow bars), dealers are pushing Unified vacuum system. The price is nearly double what I can get Brake Buddy for (and do limited install myself).

SOOO.... I too will be interested in you research and thoughts of others.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:07 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I set the pressure of my brake buddy per the instruction, it is by the weight of your toad. Set the sensitivity in the middle to try it out 5 years ago and have not changed it.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:27 AM   #8

How do you get the toad brakes to be effective during long down hill sections? As I understand the system they will not engage unless the motorhome decelerating.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:47 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How do you get the toad brakes to be effective during long down hill sections? As I understand the system they will not engage unless the motorhome decelerating. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't want the brakes applied constantly on a down hill run. You want them only applied when you apply the MH brakes.

If you don't have an exhaust or engine brake on the MH, then downshifting and/or periodic brake application is required.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:32 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On long downhill runs, I will brake hard infrequently rather than lightly frequently. I brake hard enough to activate the toad brakes because I want them to do part of the work.

I keep the sensitivity in the middle also.

When setting the pressure, think of your toad's real weight as opposed to what the manufacturers say. I had my Jeep weighed at the same time as MoHo and was surpised by the actual weight being about 600 pounds more than I expected.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:10 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to all who helped whit my decision makeing. I happened to luck out purchasing a brake buddy. The storage facility where I store the coach also has a lot for RV's sold on consignment. A owner who inherited a coach from his dad that recently passed away was selling the coach on consignment. He had no use for thr brake buddy and so I purchased it from him for a very reasonable price. I had upgraded to the coach from a pop up and the consignment people sold my pop up for me/ In case anyone is interested the link for the consignment facility is http://www.jpsrvs.com/custominvsearc...=usedinventory

2007 Jeep Wrangler