Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:23 PM   #1
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I am considering one of the following braking system(s) to use when towing our toad behind the MH:
Roadmaster AddaBrake-http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...33933&src=SRQB
Roadmaster EvenBrake-
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm/Outdo...kunum=30333:src=SRQB
Or one of the last three from the IRV2 online store.
BrakeBuddy Classic, Blue Ox Apollo, or Blue Ox Luxor.
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....TS&Category=87

I've pretty much decided on going with RoadMaster TowBar kit but haven't decided on the auxillary braking part. All of these units appear to be pretty straighforward in their installation: set on vehicle floor, clamp to brake pedal, move seat forward aginst unit, plug into cig lighter receptical and go... Some of the units come with cables, brakaway switch and remote sensor. Some do not and will have to be purchased separately. Since the prices/shipping charges seem to be relatively close, I'm looking for reliability and quality.

Would like input from anyone that has used any of these.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2007, 03:23 PM   #2
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I am considering one of the following braking system(s) to use when towing our toad behind the MH:
Roadmaster AddaBrake-http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...33933&src=SRQB
Roadmaster EvenBrake-
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm/Outdo...kunum=30333:src=SRQB
Or one of the last three from the IRV2 online store.
BrakeBuddy Classic, Blue Ox Apollo, or Blue Ox Luxor.
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....TS&Category=87

I've pretty much decided on going with RoadMaster TowBar kit but haven't decided on the auxillary braking part. All of these units appear to be pretty straighforward in their installation: set on vehicle floor, clamp to brake pedal, move seat forward aginst unit, plug into cig lighter receptical and go... Some of the units come with cables, brakaway switch and remote sensor. Some do not and will have to be purchased separately. Since the prices/shipping charges seem to be relatively close, I'm looking for reliability and quality.

Would like input from anyone that has used any of these.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I'm quite satisfied with my Brake Buddy as are my friends that have them.

I believe the Blue OX Apollo requires tapping into the toad's brake light wiring for the remote indicator. Brake Buddy does not.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:21 PM   #4

I have an older evenbrake.Not much to it,basic design.I think the newer ones are a little more accurate.If I do it again I will go with a built in system.Just because it is easier to deal with.That box does become a pain when you need to store it.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:23 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am in the process of installing a US Gear Unified Braking system. Install is a royal PITA for DIY, but it sets up for tow in about 15 seconds and no stowage problems (built-in). Not good if you have multiple "toads", but all the people I know that have them, love 'em. That's why I bought mine. Just another option, I don't think there is any "one solution fits all" in brake units.

Any of the more popular units seem to have their fans. I am sure you will get many posts.

I wanted a quick hook-up and no hassle set-up for my toad and I only have one toad.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:45 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I would recommend the Tow-V-Aire system....worth checking out!!!
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:59 PM   #7

I used the orignal Brake pro by roadmaster on old toad worked great, Just installed the SMI Silent Partner in new toad what a great unit just flip a switch hook up and go, Plus no more money than the Brake pro.

Earl

www.gsowners.com/
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 05:23 PM   #8

I have the even break and it cost about 300.00 dollars more than the cheeper one I at first got the cheeper one and found out at the winnie dealer it would cost more to install the cheeper one so took it back and got the even break. We went on a 1,000 mile round trip to Gatlinburg last week and it worked great. I had my wife tape me and the teck hooking up and unhooking it and watched it alot before we left. Everything worked great . Hope this helps. This is all new to us to and have heard the break buddy is just as nice.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:42 PM   #9

Called Brake Buddy today, Rep told me over the phone they are giving $500 credit for old Brake Buddy's for there New model. Just thought I would pass along the info.
Vet Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:38 PM   #10

JC2, I sent you a couple of PMs re abobe, Ken....
Old 04-29-2007, 03:01 AM   #11
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hey JC2,

I have the BrakeBuddy with brakaway switch and remote sensor. I have had this set-up since 2001 and have not had any problems with it at all. I have towed both a 1995 & now 2004 jeep wrangler. Hope this info helps some, and good luck with what ever you get!
Old 04-29-2007, 05:46 PM   #12

My brake buddy was a bust, probably due to "operator error." Mine locked up the toad brakes, burned the pads, warped the rotors, and later found out it caused my front wheel bearings to go out too. (Don't even ask the costs!)

That was on a 2002 Adventurer. Now have a 2005 Dutch Star DP with the SMI Air Force One model. It is a DREAM to hook up (15-20 seconds), no box to store, etc. For non air-brake models there is a small compressor added under the rear of the RV, so the hook up, etc is the same as with a DP.

Check it out at http://www.Hendersonslineup.com for the best installation and price. Or for the DIYer www.rvupgrades.com

This unit is easily transferred to another toad. For price, ease of hook-up, no box to store, etc I this was my choice. Good luck!

OpaRon in Gaston, OR

2005 Dutch Star (4009)
OpaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:36 AM   #13

I installed the SMI Silent Partner. Part of it goes in the coach and most of it goes in the toad. The install was not hard but did take a few hours; mostly because I am anal about exposed wires or tubes and a quality install takes time.

We used this system on our recent 1000 mile trip through the mountains on 5-6% grades and it was a wonderful addition. The toad weighs about 5200# so is not insignificant when pushing on a 19,000# coach going down hill at 60+ mph. The SMI is a proportional system and can be adjusted from the coach cab. We found that feature to be very useful and used it several times on some nasty downgrades.

It cost a bit more than some of the others and takes a bit longer to install but to me it was well worth it. I saved us from smacking a red Civic that darted in front of us without warning. We did not hit him but only because of the toad brakes helping to slow the rig.

Once installed I only have to flip a switch in the car and plug in the break-away pin and it is good to go.

I also use a Toad Charge which I installed to keep the toad battery charged. My car will dischage the toad battery while the key is in the acc. position and I don't feel like pulling fuses and rembering to stick them back in or installing a fuse switch. Also, this keeps any other items that are on while the car is in tow from draining down the battery. It works great and only took an hour or so to install..most of it under the coach running wire loom along the frame rails.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:02 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
M&G is the standard for tow brakes. You can check them out at: M & G tow brakes
I have NEVER talked to a single person that owned a M & G brake system that did not swear by it.

Glenn