Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #1

Aventa lx Towbar?

I picked up a lightly used aventa lx and am getting some conflicting info. Decided to put it in the hitch receiver today and when I rotated it out of the stowed position the legs fall to the ground. Blue ox said I may need a new ball shank $250 dollar part. So, I decided to read the instruction manual and in step two of hooking up it says to rotate out of stored position and place legs on ground. I guess my question is should the ball support the legs on its own horizontally requiring me to push them to ground or should the weight of the legs cause them to fall to ground. Thanks for the help, just want to make sure everything is safe!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The arms on my Blue Ox go to the ground also. I would examine the entire tow bar for wear or looseness that I would deem to be excessive and go from there.

I don't think just because your arms go to the ground that you should start replacing parts until further examination. Just my 2cents.

burfurd

Old 11-18-2011, 06:37 PM   #3

That is what I did today. Hitched it up, rotated it down, extended and locked arms and looked at all the safety cables. Looks like new, no obvious wear, pretty tight all around with the exception of the ball. The pivot bolt where the arms attach to the ball where it pivots during turns is pretty tight. Just wasn't sure whether or not the ball is supposed to support the arms horizontally while hitching.Some say yes others say no. The manual says to put arms on ground while hooking up, so there is some conflict in info. I'm hoping to not have to buy replacement ball shank for another couple years. Thanks for the info!
Old 11-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
If it's brand new or newly refurbished the arms will stay horizontal. But as soon as it's worn a little they fall down. Replacing the nylon bushings and tightening up the joint will make it stay horizontal again, at least for a little while. But if there's not a lot of play in the joints you're fine.

joe
Old 11-18-2011, 07:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
If it's brand new or newly refurbished the arms will stay horizontal. But as soon as it's worn a little they fall down. Replacing the nylon bushings and tightening up the joint will make it stay horizontal again, at least for a little while. But if there's not a lot of play in the joints you're fine.

joe
Not sure I understand what you mean by play in the joints? The only thing that isn't tight on the entire thing is the fact thatnitndoesnt stay horizontal, it goes right to ground. How do I check the joints?
Old 11-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
If it's all tight, then I guess you don't have any play to worry about.

joe
Old 11-18-2011, 07:27 PM   #7

Quote:
If it's all tight, then I guess you don't have any play to worry about.

joe
Was just looking for some advice. I have no idea really what is acceptable regarding play. First time towing for me. Just wasn't sure if it is absolutely necessary for the ball joint to be so tight for it to remain horizontal or not.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
No, doesn't need to be THAT tight. But if you yank on it and it seems to shift, then you probably want a pro to look at it.

If you're anywhere near northeast Nebraska, I highly recommend stopping in to the factory to have them take a look at it. Free campground too!

joe
Old 11-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think you and Blue Ox have a communications issue. "The legs fall to the ground" sounds like they fall FLAT on the ground. The knuckles fall to the ground (Which is what I believe you have) While the ball end remains in the ball. is 100% normal.

I Echo what Flying Driver said.

The knuckles are the part that hooks to the base plate on the car.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #10

The arms on mine have to be pushed to where I want them. Gravity isn't enough.
And this is after almost 20,000 miles.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:13 AM   #11

The ball end says level with the hitch, the arms automatically pivot down to the ground. Laterally, left and right the arms are tight when pivoted around the big bolt.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:34 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We bought our Aventa used also. It looked like it had very little use. I guess I am confused by what is happening here since ours also from the get go whe rotated out of the store position went to the ground. They are suppose to hold themselves up and straight out? If so what exactly do I need to replace? It would make it easier to hook up.

Going to Google now in search of the manual I never got.

Edit: Ours is an Aventa II BX7335 so it does not have the ball. Should ours still not go to the ground?

Edit 2: From the manual
Quote:
Pull
the legs out away from the towing vehicle and
place them on the ground.
Nevermind
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
We bought our Aventa used also. It looked like it had very little use. I guess I am confused by what is happening here since ours also from the get go whe rotated out of the store position went to the ground. They are suppose to hold themselves up and straight out? If so what exactly do I need to replace? It would make it easier to hook up.

Going to Google now in search of the manual I never got.

Edit: Ours is an Aventa II BX7335 so it does not have the ball. Should ours still not go to the ground?

Edit 2: From the manual Nevermind
Yeah, you read that and it sounds like it is ok for it to go to the ground. It would be easier it it stayed up though. It really doesn't matter to me as long as its safe and nothing catastrophicaly fails.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:06 AM   #14
paz

Quote:

joe
This is the exact experience I have had with our Adventa LX - tight when new and right after it was refurbished, but it got loose a short time afterward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
I picked up a lightly used aventa lx and am getting some conflicting info. Decided to put it in the hitch receiver today and when I rotated it out of the stowed position the legs fall to the ground. Blue ox said I may need a new ball shank $250 dollar part. So, I decided to read the instruction manual and in step two of hooking up it says to rotate out of stored position and place legs on ground. I guess my question is should the ball support the legs on its own horizontally requiring me to push them to ground or should the weight of the legs cause them to fall to ground. Thanks for the help, just want to make sure everything is safe!
I was told by Blue Ox that because the ball is totally captured by the housing that surrounds it, the swivel joint can not fail (no matter how loose the swivel is) as long as the bolts that hold the 2 halves of the housing together are tight. The ball itself inside the housing is in 2 segments with a Bellville spring washer between the segments. It is not wear of the ball that causes the joint to get loose, but it gets loose when the Bellville spring washer looses tension. Even if the Bellville spring washer cracks, disintegrates and falls out, the joint can't fail according to Blue Ox.

Other issues could cause wear of the ball shank, but I think mentioning that was just a CYA move on the part of Blue Ox. If you want your swivel joint to be tight, chances are all you need to do is order a bunch of new Bellville washers from Blue Ox and just replace them when the arms don't stay up anymore. Your tow bar should have come with a manual that has a diagram of the tow bar and a parts list, but if it didn't the manual should be available on the Blue Ox web site.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote