Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:58 PM   #15

Originally Posted by tom41 View Post
got my 2008 taurus installed with blue ox base plate and the taillights wired and everything for the taillights were supplied by the installer (I had bought the baseplate) was $270.00 out the door , and a good job. Thos was in middle tn
Hey Tom,
Glad to hear it worked out well for you. Sounds like a good price. Next time (if there is one) I will investigate getting someone else to install as I am sure I would not do all that work for 270 bucks. Maybe younger guys don't have the sore bone thing which definetly raises the price.

Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #16
Just had a local body shop install a roadmaster tow bar on our 2012 CRV. 2.5 hours labor. Cost was $120.00. I did the wiring. I did not want to tear apart a brand new car.

In my rural area the BS's charge ave of $45/hr

Schoolsout2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #17
Thor Owners Club
thanks Dennis, Yep I couldn't believe the price when he quoted me $270.00 and that would includes the taillights, wiring, diodes, all complete! This was done in Tullahoma Tn., he also will install my Ready-Brake as soon as it is here
Tom and Nancy
1998 Four Winds class C, 31ft, V-10
2008 ford Taurus in tow
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #18
Sure is a wide variety of prices indicated here.

When I bought my 2008 Malibu I took the car over to Nebraska where the Blue Ox company scheduled the install of baseplate. I did that and they also wired up the brake and tail lights, plus installed the switch to isolate a fuse so my battery would not run down. Total price out the door, was just barely under $1000

When I replaced the Malibu (it was developing transmission problems that GM wasn't seemingly able to find) with a 2007 Honda Odyssey, I decided to do the job myself.

I bought the baseplate from local RV dealership and that price was $420 and I hauled it home. Taking the front off the vehicle was a piece of cake, however the baseplate install proved slightly more difficult as the specs of either the Honda frame member, or the baseplate (one or other) was off by 1/8 inch. I had to use a chisel to make that slight indention to the Honda frame (and normally this isn't an issue). However I slipped and put a skin in my "condenser" ---- I applied the liquid soap to the skin, sure enough I created a bubbling leak. So - I went on e-bay and located an aftermarket supplier and had it shipped to me ($76 delivered to my house) --- cheap considering Honda wants a whole lot more.

So - I did the job for an end price of just under $500 start to finish, but wasn't satisfied there so I bought a custom rock protecting grill and put that in at the last minute too. Ok - price went up a little, but still under $600

I decided to not go the hard wire route - I bought magnetic wireless lights and they surely do work nicely. They cost me $390.

Now regardless of what vehicle I decide to tow my Wireless lights will be placed on that vehicle and good to go.

The job took me a number of hours, however spread out to well over a week because of the wait time for the condenser.

New condenser works great, by the way. I forget how much 134a I had to replace in it --- but wasn't a lot.

God Bless

Sepisllib is offline   Reply With Quote