Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2015, 05:00 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
I think the OP actually already has his mind made up.

Personally, I have never, ever heard of anyone "cracking" a tank by being underway with a full or partially full tank; absolutely ever single RV water or waste tank would be damaged if this were true.

I still think an extra length of sewer hose is the quickest, easiest way to deal with his issue.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2015, 05:06 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Nope, I have a Dolly so I'm screwed, if my car was rear wheel drive I would definitely do it. So far as the bind you were in did you try to pull forward a little to relieve it?
I couldn't pull forward. That's why I was trying to back up.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Well, Mody N Domy, count the No's and count the yes's. I think the answer is obvious.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:15 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What would happen if.....

Answer is very bad things.

How do I deal with that?

I have multiple methods for dumping tank.

I have the original free with purchase of motor home sewer hose which at the moment is the precise length I need to dump plus or minus nothing and is doign a great job (10 years old next month)

I have a Tetford Smart hose (Default at most sites)
I have 10 and a 20 foot 3" extension hose (never use 'em all)

I have a Portable Macerator (Fly-Jet) With 50 feet of BLACK garden hose 3/4" along with a home made Ground Adapter.. This is what I use when the dang dump is at the very rear of the site. or uphill or otherwise a long way for the stuff to flow.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:24 PM   #19

Why is it so hard for people to DISCONNECT in situations like this???? I mean, what, maybe 1-2 minutes and you're disconnected and you can do whatever you want with either the coach or the toad. We've been in a couple of situations where, it's either damage the tow bar and or the toad because of the need to back up or, DISCONNECT! Well, the wife and I have disconnected in about 45 seconds to a minute in one or two situations.

The OP can do whatever he feels is right for his situation but, it's just not that hard to disconnect. Even if it took 5-10 minutes for disconnecting (I couldn't take that long if I was asleep while doing it) it's still way better than breaking or damaging something and then what do you have? You may not even be able to proceed with your trip until you get if fixed. Your choice.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:34 PM   #20

There are numerous threads about backing a toad with a motorhome. Those who do it or have done it and those who will never even think of doing it.

Despite all the doomsday warnings, there are a number of us who do it with minimal problems and no damage. CAN it be done? Yes, of course. Does it take skill and practice to be sure you don't break anything? Again, yes. If you're willing to practice and develop the skills, do it and enjoy the benifits of your new skill. If you are not willing to spend the time and effort to develop the skill, just know that you'll have to unhook when a backup may have saved you the time and effort.

Your rig, your choice. Whatever flicks your Bic.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:42 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
There are numerous threads about backing a toad with a motorhome. Those who do it or have done it and those who will never even think of doing it.

Despite all the doomsday warnings, there are a number of us who do it with minimal problems and no damage. CAN it be done? Yes, of course. Does it take skill and practice to be sure you don't break anything? Again, yes. If you're willing to practice and develop the skills, do it and enjoy the benifits of your new skill. If you are not willing to spend the time and effort to develop the skill, just know that you'll have to unhook when a backup may have saved you the time and effort.

Your rig, your choice. Whatever flicks your Bic.
That learning curve could get VERY costly. Just sayin'
Old 04-26-2015, 05:56 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mody n Domy View Post
I like to dump my tanks before we pull out for the days trip I dont want the weight of the water bouncing in the tanks going down the road. That puts a lot of stress on the tanks causing cracks.
With all due respect, I don't think this is true at all. I have always (even with my TT) dump the tanks before leaving and then add at least a 1/3 tank of water plus some liquid Oxy Clean laundry detergent (and sometimes some Calgon water softener). Rocking motions going down the highway will slosh the soapy solution around in the tank and help keep the tank and sensors sorta clean.

I've never experienced a cracked tank nor have I ever heard of anyone else experiencing one.

As far as your proposed method of backing up a toad....give it a try and let us know how it works. I'm always open for new ideas.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:14 PM   #23

I have unhooked the toad several times when I needed to. Not difficult. Not counting elapsed time. Not thinking of alternative ways. Not messing with basic physics.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post

And then there are those of us the did it without thinking!

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:42 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I think you have already decided to proceed with your proposed method of backing up a toad....so give it a try and let us know how it works. Always open for new ideas.
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:24 PM   #26

Freightliner Owners Club
You could always pull out of the spot, "drive around the block" and pull back into your spot only as far as needed and then dump.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:39 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
NO DON't DO IT !!! The tow bar itself is a hollow tube and is subject to collapse when pressure is applied on the ends. Take a drink straw and pull all you want, no damage. Take that straw and push on both ends and somewhere in it's length it will collapse. Just as your tow bar could.
If this were the case, ant time we hit our brakes hard, we could expect the toad to slam into the back of the coach, as the tow bar folded up.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:52 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I too have a Portable Macerator (Flo-Jet)for just this situation. Takes up little room and is simple and easy.

Tags
toad