Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:54 PM   #1

Backing a MH with toad idea

While driving east on I 84 out of Boise ID I was thinking about our next 1 night stop in Heyburn ID. The sewer hook ups are all the way to the back of the pull through lots and if wanted to drain my hold tanks I would either unhook the toad or backup which is a no no. So I got to thinking what would happen if I unhooked 1 arm of my tow bar and collapsed it. That way when you back up there would be no strain on the tow bar because you are only pushing the toad from 1 point. You could have someone in side the toad steer it to help. This way you could back up with out unhooking the toad. Then reconnect the tow bar arm and go on your way. I think this should work so if anyone has any input be it good or bad it would help us all.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2015, 04:02 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Well perhaps you can just pause on your way into the site and dump the tanks before you dock.If the campground is not busy I would be tempted to do this before unhooking anything and backing up.

2009 Beaver Contessa
2015 Ford Edge SEL
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:13 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
NO DON't DO IT !!! The tow bar itself is a hollow tube and is subject to collapse when pressure is applied on the ends. Take a drink straw and pull all you want, no damage. Take that straw and push on both ends and somewhere in it's length it will collapse. Just as your tow bar could.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:23 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
It's not a good idea. They do get weak and break, mine did. I now dump at a vacant site in the morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-16_13-02-19_907.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	92631  
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:33 PM   #5

Bad idea, IMO. If you're very very careful, you can back straight for a few feet with the toad attached. Unhooking one arm of the tow bar will make it IMPOSSIBLE to back the toad up in a straight line, and you will cramp the wheels of the toad over (which isn't something your helper will have the strength to prevent) and possibly damage the bar.

Why not just dump as you pull through when you arrive, if your tanks are so full- or buy an extra $10 length of sewer hose. The chance of destroying your tow bar is hardly worth it.

Or it wouldn't be to me. We carry an extra 30 feet of additional sewer hose; that's always been enough to reach any hookup, even if you have to "walk it" empty.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:41 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Best idea I have heard is "if you really want to leave the toad hooked up" pull the motorhome backwards with the toad. Leave the MH in reverse and idling.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:47 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Best idea I have heard is "if you really want to leave the toad hooked up" pull the motorhome backwards with the toad. Leave the MH in reverse and idling.
Have you tried this? Didn't work for me and then the towbar was in a pressure bind and VERY hard to unhook.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:06 PM   #8

Thanks for your input, I like to dump my tanks before we pull out for the days trip I dont want the weight of the water bouncing in the tanks going down the road. That puts a lot of stress on the tanks causing cracks. I have seen where if you back only a couple feet you should be ok. My thinking is with one side of the bar unhooked there are 2 pivot points between the MH and the toad. This would greatly reduce the stress on the tow bar opposed to leaving both sides hooked up. I am not talking about backing up any great distance and I think the person steering the toad would have no more problem than if you were pushing it backwards it is not held rigid by the tow bar with only 1 arm being connected. And yes you could bend the single bar like a straw but backing with both bars hooked up would add a lot more stress if the toad wheels should turn. Just some thoughts for discussion.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mody n Domy View Post
While driving east on I 84 out of Boise ID I was thinking about our next 1 night stop in Heyburn ID. The sewer hook ups are all the way to the back of the pull through lots and if wanted to drain my hold tanks I would either unhook the toad or backup which is a no no. So I got to thinking what would happen if I unhooked 1 arm of my tow bar and collapsed it. That way when you back up there would be no strain on the tow bar because you are only pushing the toad from 1 point. You could have someone in side the toad steer it to help. This way you could back up with out unhooking the toad. Then reconnect the tow bar arm and go on your way. I think this should work so if anyone has any input be it good or bad it would help us all.
Mody n Domy
When you have "unhooked 1 arm of your tow bar and collapsed it" the toad is nearly half disconnected...(and you have already spent half of the time it takes to completely disconnect your toad).
Why on earth would you NOT simply finish the job before backing up?

In other words why do want to do a HALF FAST job?

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 04-26-2015, 05:20 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Mody n Domy
When you have "unhooked 1 arm of your tow bar and collapsed it" the toad is nearly half disconnected...(and you have already spent half of the time it takes to completely disconnect your toad).
Why on earth would you NOT simply finish the job before backing up?

In other words why do want to do a HALF FAST job?

Mel
'96 Safari
OUCH
Old 04-26-2015, 05:29 PM   #11
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would be very concerned about placing any loads on a tow bar that was not completely attached and locked.

I back my toad on a regular basis, its not big deal.. My only precaution is if I back it any distance or through any turn, the DW is spotting for me and also watches the toad steering wheel to make sure it follows the turn and does not caster to the end stop.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:29 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This is not a good idea.
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:50 PM   #13

mel s, well there is still safety cables,Protect-A-Tow, breaking system, break away line,light pig tail and shifting transfer back in to gear. So the job in not nearly half done it is only 1/2 of 1 step in a 7 step process. But again thanks for your input. As far as doing a job "HALF FAST" I wanted input from an open mind not criticism from a closed one. It was an idea I had and I wanted to see what others thought.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
Have you tried this? Didn't work for me and then the towbar was in a pressure bind and VERY hard to unhook.
Nope, I have a Dolly so I'm screwed, if my car was rear wheel drive I would definitely do it. So far as the bind you were in did you try to pull forward a little to relieve it?

Tags
toad