Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2017, 08:06 AM   #1

Backing up a tow dolly with surge brakes

While I realize that it's not recommended to back with a dolly, I've heard it can be done. I have a Master Tow Dolly with surge brakes and was wondering if anyone has any experience doing this - specifically - the effect of backing up with the surge brake. thanks
Jfs999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2017, 09:15 AM   #2

Most surge brake systems won't let you back up as the rearward force generated is enough to activate the brakes. Several companies make a steel rod that keeps the coupler from compressing thus not activating the trailer brakes or a disc such as this:

"BACK UP BUDDY" A .UFP. SURGE BRAKE LOCK OUT KEY...BOAT TRAILER..MAGNETIC KEY | eBay
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfs999 View Post
While I realize that it's not recommended to back with a dolly, I've heard it can be done. I have a Master Tow Dolly with surge brakes and was wondering if anyone has any experience doing this - specifically - the effect of backing up with the surge brake. thanks
I had a Master tow dolly with surge brakes and yes you can back up with it at very slow speed in a straight line. The Master Tow dolly has a override spring on the surge master cylinder that prevents it from applying when low force is exerted on the system such as backing up or coasting down a hill.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:31 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
MT used several different surge couplers over the years. Mine has a lock out (auto resets as soon as I pull forward). Even without using the lockout I can reverse short distance without wheel lock ups.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:40 PM   #5

I've backed my Stehl Tow, loaded, a few times a short distance.

Empty, it skids so I take the hitch lock pin out and stick it in a hole in the hitch, that blocks the hitch from activating the brakes.

There are line lock solenoids sold that actavate with the reverse lights. Boat trailers need them.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:49 PM   #6

Not sure about any of the specific tow dollies but on my boat trailer there is a solonoid operated valve that opens when the tow vehicles backup light circuit is energized. This allows the brake fluid to circulate back to the master cylinder instead of applying presume to the brake wheel cylinders or calipers. Once you place your tow vehicle gear selector in reverse your trailer brakes are deactivated.
There is also a manual lockout on the trailer tongue. It will not reset itself so you have to remember to switch it back to the normal setting so that your brakes work when you are moving forward.

I would assume that the tow dolly manufacturers have this information available for anyone that is willing to contact them directly.
Stevie3508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:06 PM   #7

ACME has a key that prevents the surge brake from activating. They show its use on their web site if I recall.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:55 AM   #8

Got my answer - I called Master Tow (should have done this to begin with) and spoke with one of their techs. He advised that the surge brakes on the Master Tow Dollies are designed so they will not work when going in reverse. thanks for all the responses.
Jfs999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:50 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you got the MT. Go ahead and find a truck/trailer parts place and replace the filament lamps with LED. I found them at a Big TEX shop for only $9/each but be sure to get the 3-way (tail.stop,turn) for both red and yellow lamps. A 7/16 socket and a couple of minutes to unplug, remove, replace, re-plug will save frustrations when the filament ones fail. MUCH cheaper than getting the upgraded lamp parts from MT.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, dolly, tow, tow dolly