Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I've backed up 5 or 6 feet. The toad and motorhome were aligned straight.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The sight of an accomplished person backing a 4 down toad would impress me as well.

Mine is a tow bar and that is all I will ask of it, towing. Pushing forces are different.
I get out and unhook. Twice in ten years; not terribly onerous.

Takes about five minutes, removes the risk to my equipment. I try to never get in a hurry or resent a minor inconvenience.

But backing is an art form no matter the set up and if you RV enough you will see plenty of the artfull, and the painfull. Both are worth watching.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #17

I originally approached this with a great deal of hesitation. Now, I find I can maneuver pretty easily, have backed around a corner on a couple of occasions. The only time I've had any trouble was on pea gravel. The toad's steering would not return to center after baking around something or another. This was something seen easily in the rear view camera. No bent/broken parts because I generally am not giving the coach any gas while maneuvering like this. It's in gear idling. I've learned I can assume that if it won't go on it's own, something's wrong. In this case I had to get out, turn the toad's steering to the direction we were heading, and get back in to the motor home.

The last time I was in a Flying J (or similar). The truck in front of me had me blocked. I could not leave without backing out of the stall and avoiding a curb that was maybe a truck length in back of me, which I negotiated without issue - much to the surprise of a few that were watching for the train wreck....

I agree. Know your limits. To do that though, you need to push them on occasion?
Old 09-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #18

At one time we towed a '99 Subaru behind a Bounder. Could back up if everything was straight for about 20 feet then it was all over. Now I've got enough experience that I rarely get in a situation like that.
sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:03 AM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I did it once with our Jeep GC, bent the towbar slightly. Not enough to need replacing but enough to notice when I slide the bar together.
I've also done it with the dolly with no trouble but only a couple feet.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #20

This is very disturbing that someone thinks that towing only means forward. The toad is always pushing on the MH when stopping unless your brakes are set to actuate too much. Backing should be no worse than that especially if you are going slow. I cannot see how someone could bend their tow bar backing up unless the front tires on the toad jack-knifed and the driver didn't notice or wasn't watching.

It also could be affected by the angle of the tow bar. If the MH is above the toad 3 - 4 inches, it should back up smoothly especially straight back. Am I right?

Roadmaster recommends +/- 3" but I think it should be 4" down, ie, - 4". Thoughts on whether the angle affects backing?
Old 10-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Shoot, when we were towing 4-down, I even had the front wheels flip to the right whan I was making a slow sharp left turn with a sport of a speed bump. I was watching in the left side mirror as the dinghy wheels hit the bump and ...bingo, it decided to do right...and they did not go abck to center or left. I stopped...blocking traffic, cranked the wheels around the proper directions and went on. That was the only time that ever happened.

But back up....never more than a foot or two.

jwwing, if you look at the geometry of the front end of a car, it is designed to be stable when going forward. The toe, caster and camber are what keep it stable and wanting to return to center. Now if you go backwards, all of the alignment settings are now backwards for stable operation. Don't believe it, push a bicycle forward, now try to push it backward while holding tha handle bars only.

Ken
Old 10-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #22

jwwing - I think geometry has a great deal to do with how a toad is going to back, and the driver is going to have a lot to do with it as well!

To back up the geometry thought (pun intended!) an observation I've made whenever this topic comes up? I've noticed people pulling Jeeps almost universally agree the wheels will cock to one side or the other almost immediately when backed, while others seem to have mixed results?
Old 10-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #23
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Backing causes the front wheels of the TOAD to go in the opposite direction (geometry). An experienced person can sit in the TOAD and counter act the turning. However the motor should be running and the person holding the wheel better be strong and prepared for the terrific counter pull required to keep the wheels straight.

I do believe that there are some towing systems that will allow backing if the TOAD is heavy enough to track, such as a truck or heavy suv.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:56 AM   #24

Dangers are all a bit overrated if you have the right combination of MH and Toad. Have done 25-point turns in deadend carparks and forest clearings with copilot holding the toad steering wheel and keeping the turns slow and tow and towed lined up in a gentle curve. No different to a truck backing with a pig trailer (4 wheels, short wheelbase and no turntable).

Big heavy toad and short tow vehicle might be a different matter though, as would continuing to back once the toad wheels had castored away from straight ahead.

But I agree - apart from the brief satisfaction of proving the pundits wrong, it is invariably quicker and easier to disconnect and turn the two vehicles separately.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:16 AM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I do believe that there are some towing systems that will allow backing if the TOAD is heavy enough to track, such as a truck or heavy suv.
There used to be one, it was big, ugly and heavy. Haven't seen it for many years now.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:19 AM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwing View Post
I cannot see how someone could bend their tow bar backing up unless the front tires on the toad jack-knifed and the driver didn't notice or wasn't watching.
'97 Jeep GC, only backed a few feet, that was all it took, but the Jeep was not straight to begin with. Still using the towbar when I tow four down.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:46 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
It really depends on The two Vehicle's ,and the Way that the Castor is set on the Toad.
I have had to back up a few feet on several occasions. It doesn't always work out but often I am able to back straight enough to extricate Us from the situation without having to disconnect.

DSDP towing a 2 Wheel Drive Geo Tracker
Old 10-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRV View Post
It really depends on The two Vehicle's ,and the Way that the Castor is set on the Toad.
I
DSDP towing a 2 Wheel Drive Geo Tracker
It is CASTER....

Ken