Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #29

The fear of inability to back up or having to disconnect makes me plan the situation better. I thought i was going to have trouble getting out of a pull thru yesterday but took it slow and somehow made it. I have a ready brake tow bar. Would slow backing be enough to activate the dingy brakes? I guess i could unhook the tow bars brake cable.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9crazy5 View Post
The fear of inability to back up or having to disconnect makes me plan the situation better. I thought i was going to have trouble getting out of a pull thru yesterday but took it slow and somehow made it. I have a ready brake tow bar. Would slow backing be enough to activate the dingy brakes? I guess i could unhook the tow bars brake cable.
There's a pretty stiff spring that must be overcome to allow braking. It will usually prevent the brakes from applying when backing as long as the toad is able to roll easily? It's the same spring that keeps the brakes from applying going down a hill? Keep in mind the Ready Brake works identically to surge brakes found on many trailers of all sizes - all able to back up just fine?

Where you might get into trouble is when there's some resistance to backing, like backing up a hill or on something like pea gravel that won't let the toad roll easily.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #31

I'm very new so pardon if this sounds stuiped. What would be wrong with putting the DW in The toad, starting it up, put in in reverse and put a strain on the tow bar. Seems it would work if backing straight up. We will be using an SMI break system.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I may have just watched the luckiest guy in the world pull in to camp here in Ottawa, Ontario.

We were sitting outside when this beautiful KSDP pulled in towing a small Ford crossover and headed for his pull thru site several down from us. I watched him stop on the access road and then saw his back up lights come on and heard his reverse beeper sounding.

My eyes got really big when I realized he was actually going to back up!

I couldn't believe it as, with no spotter or anyone in the toad, he backed up what I'd guess to be about 6' to 8'. Straight back... while the toad nicely tracked.

I don't think I'll run right out and try it though.....

Rick
If your are going to be stupid, you better be tough. Lucky he didn't wreck the whole unit.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:47 AM   #33

Quote:
couldn't believe it as, with no spotter or anyone in the toad, he backed up what I'd guess to be about 6' to 8'. Straight back... while the toad nicely tracked.
Experience as to how his rig behaves + a good reversing camera means no spotter required.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #34

[QUOTE=calhyatt;1340658]If your are going to be stupid, you better be tough. Lucky he didn't wreck the whole unit.[/QUOTE]

I am really curious how somebody backing carefully might "wreck the whole unit"? Especially when moving straight back?

I get that the potential for stuff to go wrong is great, especially if you struggle backing to start with, but I don't believe this is the guaranteed train wreck many (who may have never tried?) make it out to be.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #35

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by calhyatt View Post
If your are going to be stupid, you better be tough. Lucky he didn't wreck the whole unit.
Backing straight isn't impossible, in fact it's far from it. I routinely hook up my Cherokee then back off of the ramps I use to get the coach close to level on my driveway. One time I decided to see just how far it would go so I kept a careful eye on the rear monitor and kept it slow, after 20' it was still going straight but I was backing toward some overhanging trees in the driveway so I stopped. Now add in an angle and all bets are off.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=ahicks;1340982]
Quote:
Originally Posted by calhyatt View Post
If your are going to be stupid, you better be tough. Lucky he didn't wreck the whole unit.[/QUOTE]

I am really curious how somebody backing carefully might "wreck the whole unit"? Especially when moving straight back?

I get that the potential for stuff to go wrong is great, especially if you struggle backing to start with, but I don't believe this is the guaranteed train wreck many (who may have never tried?) make it out to be.
Generally it is unadvisable to back up a motorhome with a toad. many get away with it for a short distance but when the toad gets out of alignment just a little things happen quickly. IMHO. Take care, Seeya on the road.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #37

I'm not sure why, but I have NEVER been able to back up either of my Jeeps (Grand Cherokee and Commander) any distance at ALL via the towbar. I have a Falcon towbar. Twice I've tried backing straight up about 10 feet with both my DW and then myself in the Jeep. With the engine running and both hands on the wheel, the wheel is immediately WRENCHED out of my hands as soon as the motorhome starts moving back. I do not have the strength to hold it. It has to have something to do with the caster of the front wheels, but you cannot hold it straight. I'll never try again.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #38

Country Coach Owners Club
If you have to back up that much, how about unhooking and having the other person move the dingy?!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #39
D M

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1dgh View Post
If you have to back up that much, how about unhooking and having the other person move the dingy?!
Yes I found this out the hard way. It is easier to unhook and drive the toad, than to repair paint on the bumper. A friend told me this
D M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:55 AM   #40

I think the point is that if you strive to be as competent as possible with your rig like most of us, you should know what you're going to do when you need to back up? Having a plan in advance of that situation is a piece of that competency. I think most will agree that need WILL happen on occasion?

You can assume your rig won't back up if you like, or you can try and know for sure? Waiting to try until the first time you need to, while the pressure to hurry the process is likely highest, might no be a good time to do that for the first time. That's just asking for trouble?

If your rig won't back, fine. You know what you need to do prior to needing to find out. If you have some confidence your rig will back up (and how far?), you have a trick up your sleeve. Doubt you'll need it often, but you know what you're going to do ahead of time as well?