Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2012, 06:36 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Backing Up Four Down!

I may have just watched the luckiest guy in the world pull in to camp here in Ottawa, Ontario.

We were sitting outside when this beautiful KSDP pulled in towing a small Ford crossover and headed for his pull thru site several down from us. I watched him stop on the access road and then saw his back up lights come on and heard his reverse beeper sounding.

My eyes got really big when I realized he was actually going to back up!

I couldn't believe it as, with no spotter or anyone in the toad, he backed up what I'd guess to be about 6' to 8'. Straight back... while the toad nicely tracked.

I don't think I'll run right out and try it though.....

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Interesting. Maybe he'll share his technique with you and of course you with us .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:55 AM   #3

This sounds like a challenge. I pulled into a Flying J service bay with my Subaru still attached to have an air leak looked at. These bays are pull through but the pit is designed for the width of a truck and the car would not go across. So I had to back all the way out with the car attached, probably 60' or 70', before I could drive around the bay. Luckily it was a straight shot and the rear camera was working.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
paz

Everybody says don't do it because it may damage the tow bar, but I have backed up a few feet on a level surface with with the toad sitting in a straight line behind the MH with no problems. You have to make sure the steer tires of the toad don't lock over to one side. Ours never have.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:30 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have done so on several ocasions when I had no choice. I locked the steering column and was able to do so without a problem. The first couple of times I was a little apprehensive but now know it can be done.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound
I have done so on several ocasions when I had no choice. I locked the steering column and was able to do so without a problem. The first couple of times I was a little apprehensive but now know it can be done.
Locking the steering column sounds like a good idea. I once saw a woman trying to hold the wheel and almost broke her wrists.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #7
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
My rule personal rule on backing up with a tow car attached is if you want an excuse to purchase another tow bar backup with a car attached for at least 15 feet. That should do it, then make a phone call to Roadmaster or Blue Ox and place an order.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #8

Wow in all the years I have towed my vehicles I never ever had to back up once. I was just lucky I guess.

I'll never find out now [moderator edit]........
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:13 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
My rule personal rule on backing up with a tow car attached is if you want an excuse to purchase another tow bar backup with a car attached for at least 15 feet. That should do it, then make a phone call to Roadmaster or Blue Ox and place an order.
"A mans got to know his limitations"
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have to back up with the Jeep attached to our Challenger on a number of occasions - usually because I have pulled too far ahead at a gasoline pump and the hose wouldn't reach the filler. I have found that I can back up about 10' with no adverse effects; after that distance, the front wheels begin to turn. Locking the steering is a good suggestion, if it is a straight shot.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
i once successfully back almost 2 feet with no problem at about 2.5 feet i bought a new bumper for a 3 month old jeep
brianj
Old 08-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I have backed several tows 'four down'. The terrain will dictate the success and distance. Several times that I've done this was when making a U-turn and needed a few more feet for clearance.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #13

If you need to back up more than 10-15 feet put the wife in the tow vehicle with the engine running to keep the wheels straight.

Otherwise back up till the tow vehicle front wheels begin to turn themselves...pull ahead till they straighten out....back up more...repeat. I backed up several hundred feet in this manner, although by that time it would have been faster to disconnect.
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

It also varies by the make & model of the toad, i.e. the amount of "caster" built into the front end. Some have a lot and others not so much, depending on a number of engineering factors too complex to go into here. Terrain, type of surface, initial attitude (straight vs wheels turned on either toad or coach), and the amount of rear overhang in the coach all have an effect.

My current toad will easily back several feet and often 12-15 ft. A previous one rarely would go more than 3-5 feet without jackknifing.

In my experience, all bets are off if the surface is deep sand or gravel. Instant jackknife.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote