Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
You can back up. I have done it maybe 10 times in 9 years with JGC toads.

But.....never more than 10', always on a straight reverse line, and very slowly.

Again, not recommended. Risk vs Benefit should be considered.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
You can back up. I have done it maybe 10 times in 9 years with JGC toads.

But.....never more than 10', always on a straight reverse line, and very slowly.

Again, not recommended. Risk vs Benefit should be considered.
My Father used to tell me that just because someone else has jumped off a bridge , that doesn't mean that I should.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #17
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaflash View Post
I need this explained to me... if you have someone sit in the toad and start it up (for the power steering) and hold the wheel as you slowly back up in a straight line, how would the wheel have so much force that you couldn't hold it straight?
Steering axle caster adjustment is set to a positive degree. When the vehicle is being pushed by the motorhome in a reverse direction the caster angle is reversed and becomes negative. Negative caster angles will cause the steer tires to turn very quickly at any hint of surface irregularity or start of a turn. With the play inherent in steering gear a quick turn of the steer tires is inevitable, very soon after starting the backing maneuver, unpredictable as to direction and in practical terms is uncontrollable.

All that above brings up a question I cannot answer and that is: Why then, if the toad is unhooked and being driven can one drive in reverse without having the same problems? The only difference I can see is "motorhome pushing".

If you are really interested in understanding better as to why this happens you could Google caster adjustment and find a better explanation.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I only have a 31 foot motorhome, and on more than one occassion, have used my towed to pull the motorhome backward for a few feet. The last time I recall towing my motorhome was to accomodate my overshooting the sewer hookup at a campground on the Missouri river in Iowa. I recall doing it once to accomplish a U turn at the end of a dead end road in order to avoid some boulders. Works for me.

Dieselclacker
Old 12-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post

All that above brings up a question I cannot answer and that is: Why then, if the toad is unhooked and being driven can one drive in reverse without having the same problems? The only difference I can see is "motorhome pushing".
I think you hit the nail on the head the toad is being pushed rather than being pulled.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head the toad is being pushed rather than being pulled.
If this is the case, how does the front axle determine that it is being pushed instead of the rear axle pulling it? I don't see how it is any different especially if you are backing in a straight line. I can see a difference if you try to turn the wheel and the MH is pushing you against the wheel. If you are holding it with the assist of power steering and going straight back slowly, what could happen?
Also, has anyone on here actually tried this and had the wheel snap out of their hands and/or break their wrists? Or, is this just hearsay? Again, I'm talking straight backwards slowly for a short distance.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:53 PM   #21
KIX

Quote:
If this is the case, how does the front axle determine that it is being pushed instead of the rear axle pulling it? I don't see how it is any different especially if you are backing in a straight line. I can see a difference if you try to turn the wheel and the MH is pushing you against the wheel. If you are holding it with the assist of power steering and going straight back slowly, what could happen?
Also, has anyone on here actually tried this and had the wheel snap out of their hands and/or break their wrists? Or, is this just hearsay? Again, I'm talking straight backwards slowly for a short distance.
Give it shot and report back. I think everyone is interested in hearing of your experience.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:31 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Also, be sure and include how much the new tow bar cost you....

Ken
Old 12-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
If this is the case, how does the front axle determine that it is being pushed instead of the rear axle pulling it? I don't see how it is any different especially if you are backing in a straight line.
Think of a bicycle front axle fork you will see that the bottom of the fork is always tilted/bent forward this is the same as the caster setting on your vehicle front end alignment it's the same geometry that causes your front wheels to track straight ahead (barring mishaps) when towing forward. I'm sorry I can not explain that geometry better, front forks on a motorcycle are always out farther from the frame at the bottom than at the top of the forks this along with smaller size tires is why the cycle will turn in the direction you lean versus turning the handle bars at anything other that extremely low speeds.

As a side note it is the caster setting on front wheels that make the wheels come back to center after you make a turn (provided that the steering gear and rest of the alignment are in order). If you were to have negative caster (closer at the bottom than the top) on a car you would know it in a heartbeat when driving.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 12-05-2010, 04:46 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
I only have a 31 foot motorhome, and on more than one occassion, have used my towed to pull the motorhome backward for a few feet. The last time I recall towing my motorhome was to accomodate my overshooting the sewer hookup at a campground on the Missouri river in Iowa. I recall doing it once to accomplish a U turn at the end of a dead end road in order to avoid some boulders. Works for me.

Dieselclacker
at first I thought this was a great idea, but most towbars are rated for either 5 or 10 thousand pounds. probably a foot or two on level ground would not hurt. if the need ever arises I may try that.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The problem isn't towbar capacity, but rather stopping ability should the need arise.
Don't forget to put your wife or somebody behind the wheel of the motorhome to apply the brakes if necessary. I have moved my Allegro several times with my Suzuki Grand Vitara, got me out of some real situations without disconnecting the toad. Only a few feet though, and slow.

Dieselclacker
Old 12-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #26

when backing, the rear of the toad starts to go to the side, the front wheels turn putting extra pressure on the tow bar and hitch in a sideways direction. Not what it is designed to do.

The problem seem to me to be the lateral forces aplied to the tow bar by the toat turning, IE toad goes one way RV goes the other. SNAP goes something, who knows what.

A toad will not back like a TLR. A tlr has the pivit points at the wheels and hitch. A toat does not ie the wheels are further apart so it will not pivit at the hitch like a tlr.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:09 PM   #27
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've towed a lot of things and have had to back them up over the last 50 years, Trust me I ain't backing up no toad

See My RV Upgrades
Old 12-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #28
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I'll bet a REAL tow truck driver could back the log double or the tanker double around a corner!

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote