Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #29
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
BTDT more than I care to remember more than once I thought I could make a corner or a curve in the road in one shot
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Backing up toad

There is only one way to convince someone you cannot back up a toad more than a few feet. That is for them to try doing it. This will make a beliver out of them. You can't explain the dynamics of what happens clearly enough to convince most people til they try it.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:50 PM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
There is only one way to convince someone you cannot back up a toad more than a few feet. That is for them to try doing it. This will make a beliver out of them. You can't explain the dynamics of what happens clearly enough to convince most people til they try it.
Just make sure they video the attempt and share it with us "non believers".
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Backing up a toad

I see it this away.
Any truck driver can back up a trailer easy enough because there is only one point of rotation at the king pin between the truck and trailer. Very few truck drivers can back up a set of double trailers to any degree because there are three points of rotation: one at the truck and first trailer king pin, one at the first trailer to second trailer hitch, and one at the second trailer turn table or converter dolly. Backing up a toad has two points of rotation: one at the hitch and one where the wheels turn or when a tow dolly has a slider. If you could prevent the wheels from turning then you could back up the toad some but that means dragging the front wheels as it wants to turn. The weight of the toad on the dragging front wheels will cause undue harm and wear.
There are some two axle logging trailers that have a hitch and a turn table for the front axle. These trailers can be backed up quite a ways mostly in a pretty straight line when empty as they are equipped with a locking pin to manually lock the turn table to prevent it from turning. I meant this to be my two cents but itsa nickle.
Have fun.
Milt
Old 12-05-2010, 09:47 PM   #33

if you have a riding lawn mower try this. hook a kids red wagon behind the mower and try to back it up. Cheep try and learn
Old 12-05-2010, 09:55 PM   #34

Motor running and power steering working it is very easy to hold wheel straight . Have done it for 50 or 60 feet. No problem-Unlatching your tow arms and pushing back with them in the closed position lets front of toad move from side to a little and long as you have some one in toad who knows what their doing. What are anyones thoughts on this? does it sound like it should work? Tie levers down so if you get a bit too far off line so they don't lock when they extend to one side or the other.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:06 PM   #35
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gknott View Post
Motor running and power steering working it is very easy to hold wheel straight . Have done it for 50 or 60 feet. No problem-Unlatching your tow arms and pushing back with them in the closed position lets front of toad move from side to a little and long as you have some one in toad who knows what their doing. What are anyones thoughts on this? does it sound like it should work? Tie levers down so if you get a bit too far off line so they don't lock when they extend to one side or the other.
After all that what would be the advantage as compared to a quick disconnect?

Anything is doable, did they not just land a jetliner on the New York river? Sure it worked that time but what about the next time and all the other water landings that did not go as well over the years.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:09 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Caster is closer at the top than bottom? Tilted in and out? What?

Caster is the angle of displacement from the vertical axis. Basically how far the wheel center is from the axle center, longitudinally. Think of the front wheels of a shopping cart.

Caster angle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Caster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:18 AM   #37

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I like the dolly better, although a little more invold upon attaching the vehical to it, but then I did pay a low price for my dolly, again I wouldn't back back up a dolly unless its just a foot or two.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:04 AM   #38
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Caster is closer at the top than bottom? Tilted in and out? What?

Caster is the angle of displacement from the vertical axis. Basically how far the wheel center is from the axle center, longitudinally. Think of the front wheels of a shopping cart.

Caster angle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Caster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
From your link
θ is the caster angle, red line is the pivot line, grey area is the tire. A positive caster angle is shown with the front of the vehicle being to the left

Talking the same thing here just not as technical as your
link
Quote:
Tilted in and out? What?
Tilted in at the top from where attached to the frame and out from the bottom from the same attachment point.

As for the shopping cart caster that would be great if that was what was on a toad then you would have a far better chance of being able to back it toad up.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:16 AM   #39

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Give it shot and report back. I think everyone is interested in hearing of your experience.
I have backed mine up without a problem. Just go slow and straight with someone watching and someone holding the wheel straight.
floridaflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
As for the shopping cart caster that would be great if that was what was on a toad then you would have a far better chance of being able to back it toad up.
Hmmm... wonder if theres a way??
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #41
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Hmmm... wonder if theres a way??
They do make such set ups, simple design but very pricey.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:45 AM   #42

Maybe it depends on the toad. I have backed up over 30' before - straight and slow. So it can be done. And I did not have to buy a new tow bar. But I can also understand how the first pebble could start the wheel turning and then one would have to instantly stop.
tpm64 is offline   Reply With Quote