Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2019, 01:44 PM   #15
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
X2. Jiffy Pop on the stove.
These threads are as much fun as taking a case of beer and chairs to the boat launch.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2019, 02:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
These threads are as much fun as taking a case of beer and chairs to the boat launch.
I want to see someone do this while towing a Reliant Robin (3 wheeled car Mr. Bean drives and Top Gear loves making fun of them)

This thread is convincing me not to get a Toad and just get a tow dolly... sometimes you need to backup. Having to wake the missus from her nap or unhitch seems like a PITA. Most of the vehicles suitable for TOAD duty aren't anything I'd relish driving either.
cmcconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:03 PM   #17

Everybody likes to watch a train wreck!
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:56 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
I do it but move slowly. I back into truck slots by lining up straight, go to the Tacoma toad and engage the steering wheel lock, then back up the 100' into the slot. Then unlock the toad steering so I can pull out after a nap.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:57 PM   #19

I'm one who has done it "Slowly". It works best to collapse the arms to take the stress off of the rods. I once turned around in a gravel parking lot that was too small to make a complete u-turn. Had to back up several times to get it turned around. It would have been faster to unhook and rehook, but once I started it, didn't want to quit. Wasn't too smart, but it worked out ok and no harm to the Blue Ox. This was with a 6300# Avalanche.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:19 PM   #20

Why would you want to take the chance of damaging a $1000 tow bar when you can simply unhook is less than 2 minutes and be done with it. I can't imagine being in that much of a hurry unless you're trying to back off the train tracks with a locomotive bearing down on you.

Maybe you can and maybe you can't. Why risk it?
Old 02-20-2019, 08:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcconn View Post
This thread is convincing me not to get a Toad and just get a tow dolly... sometimes you need to backup.
You can't back up a dolly either. Unless you first remove the car.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:26 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
You can't back up a dolly either. Unless you first remove the car.
Here again it depends how far backwards and how straight/inline the car and dolly were before backing up. If perfectly straight, you should be able to backup 100+’ but in the real world things will probably get out of line in 50’.

In a turn things are going to get worse fairly quickly if you backup but here again you can go several feet before the car is going to hit the fender on the dolly. A car and dolly have the same pivot points as a farm wagon where the front wheels steer. Having backed those up as a kid it’s not that hard with a tractor but a long wheelbase MH would be a challenge.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:45 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
I think it is a little like driving after drinking. You can get away with it most of the time but not all of the time. When the time comes that it goes bad, it goes really bad. Best not to do it at all.

It really doesn't take all that long to unhook and reattach the toad. That's the safe way, and once the toad is off, the motorhome can be maneuvered much more easily.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:48 AM   #24

Another way to back a toad fairly safely is to have a driver in the toad with engine running and transmission in reverse to keep a steady pull on the motorhome. It takes communication between the two drivers, but it also takes the "pushing" stress off of the tow bar. If done correctly, it is no different than towing forward. If the motorhome has to move forward to correct the direction, the toad goes into neutral and the coach does the work.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:12 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I think it is a little like driving after drinking. You can get away with it most of the time but not all of the time. When the time comes that it goes bad, it goes really bad. Best not to do it at all.
Great analogy.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Another way to back a toad fairly safely is to have a driver in the toad within engine running and transmission in reverse to keep a steady pull on the motorhome. It takes communication between the two drivers, but it also takes the "pushing" stress off of the tow bar. If done correctly, it is no different than towing forward. If the motorhome has to move forward to correct the direction, the toad goes into neutral and the coach does the work.
I have done exactly this. Wife in car with gear in reverse and engine at 1000 rpm, talking with our frs radio. Backed around a corner because the toad was headed for a bollard in a gas station because i had turned too soon.
Carlos Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Marti View Post
I have done exactly this. Wife in car with gear in reverse and engine at 1000 rpm, talking with our frs radio. Backed around a corner because the toad was headed for a bollard in a gas station because i had turned too soon.

Exactly, even if you don't plan to back up with a toad, it's still important to know how for what ever might happen. There may be reasons why you can't unhook the toad.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:10 PM   #28

Only in a pinch and keep the steering wheel straight by having someone holding the wheel.

Tags
toad