Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have pulled our 32 foot Allegro with our Suzuki Grand Vitara on more than one occassions. Keep in mind amount of brake required to stop, therefore its a good idea to keep engine running in the coach, trans in neutral, and DW behind the wheel and ready to get on the brake at a given signal, and go SLOWLY. You will not exceed the the rating of the towbar on a level straight back pull by the toad. This manuever been practiced by myself on several occassions, most recently to get me out of a jam to exit a gas station.

Dieselclacker

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #16

dieselclacker, apparently it can be done because you have done it. How can you say it will not exceed the rating of the towbar on a level straight back pull by the toad? Just for arguments sake, if the hitch, ball, towbar, baseplate are all rated for 5,000 lbs and the toad is 5,000 lbs, when the motorhome pulls the toad, everything is in compliance. But when you jump in the toad and pull the 25,000 lb motorhome, how can you say that the towbar and all the components are not exceeding the rating of the towbar? You are pulling 20,000 lbs more than what they are rated for.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
I have never been in a situation where I needed to do that yet, but have thought about it and this is what I would do. Put DW in toad to to keep the wheels straight an back up. It should work as long as its in a straight line.
If you do this you may want to consider how DW is going to react with a broken wrist.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbfirm View Post
If you do this you may want to consider how DW is going to react with a broken wrist.
And why would it cause a broken wrist ? Toad has power steering and I can see whats going on in the monitor.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
I have never done it. I have considered it and if a situation should arise that allows me to do it on flat ground and with little turning needed of the steering wheel I will attempt it, if it means saving me from unhooking! I will not do it unless someone is also behind the wheel of the MH in case of problems.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:04 AM   #20

I use a tow dolly with a 2005 Mercury mini van on it. The last time I got stuck and had to back up to get out I tore a fender on the dolly and ruined a brand new tire on the dolly. Don't try it. Every time I have tried it was not pretty. Have towed this dolly over 25,000 miles so far.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:33 PM   #21

Come on people! Disconnect the toad, move both vehicles. Connect the toad and you are on your way again. How long does that take? 10 minutes?
Old 06-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budwizer View Post
Come on people! Disconnect the toad, move both vehicles. Connect the toad and you are on your way again. How long does that take? 10 minutes?
I will add my agreement to this. Cost to replace your tow bar? $450-$600...it is not worth a few minutes to disconnect and reconnect? Maybe you all have the funds to just run out a get a new tow bar...I would rather not. Judge your limits and access...before making that turn that will stick you in a tight spot. I have passed many a turn into a gas station or drive way just because I could see it was too tight.

Just the other day someone was commenting that their tow car was not tracking right...reason a bent tow bar.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:01 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
idenphones gives some stringent parameters for this maneuver. Be wise!

I admit I had never given it a thought. I have been in one situation where this may have been a solution. I unhooked.

However, another perspective is: how desperate is the situation that would cause me to do it? It takes about three minutes to unhook enough to be free of the motor home.

It's clever--maybe too clever for my taste.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:16 PM   #24

I'm new to towing (shucks I'm new to motorhomes), but I suppose that won't stop me from offering an opinion about basic physics if you all don't mind. Gently pulling the MH with a toad is an intriguing concept and could be very handy at times. But, let me offer this analogy..... If I were fishing for say 10 pound bass and not trying to set any records for tackle I may be using say 20 lb. Test line. I could probably pull in allot of fish w/o breaking my line. But, if the reverse would occur, I fear there may be a serious possibility of equipment or line failure. It just was't designed for the load. Okay, that may be a stretch between fish and man, but I think it illustrates that that the towing equipment and toad was designed and engineered for a one-way load thrust.
I'm sure that under very controlled situations it will work. But as others have pointed out the reward isn't worth the risk (cost) for me.

Cheers,
Joopy
Old 06-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I have DW steer my Jeep if I need to back up a few feet. It has only happend once so far and it worked well. I would not want to go more than 15 or 20 feet.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #26

You might get away with it once or twice, but you're putting a huge overload on the transmission. The most any Jeep (Grand Cherokee) of that year is rated to tow is 6,500 lbs. The least is the Wrangler at 2,000 lbs. Considering it takes more torque to get the load rolling that it does to maintain speed I'm sure you'll exceed the transmission output torque rating several times over before you get a 20,000 lb motorhome moving. You may not kill the transmission immediatly But it may come back to haunt you in short order.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:07 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: Mt. Olive Shores North......RV community ( winter )
Im a little confused......what load is on the tranny of the jeep.......if your transfercase and tranny are both in neutral ???.....Forward or reverse.....shouldn't matter ?

The reason I ask.....yesterday ...I had to back up.....about 30'..... with our rig....first time I need to....but it was an over shot of a turn I had to make to get into our spot.

I have a CDL Class A license.......and Im totally capable of backing down with a tow/trailer........and was careful to watch the movement of the jeep in the backup camera.........and all went well.
don-deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #28

The original poster asked if he could back up the toad still attached to the motorhome while leaving the motorhome in neutral. It sounds to me like the Jeep would be pulling the motorhome backward. Since the strongest Jeep transmission of that year is only rated to pull 6,500 lbs I would think trying to pull the 20,000 lb motorhome would certainly overload it.