Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I can't see risking damaging anything...I'd unhook it, move what needs moving and rehook.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: Mt. Olive Shores North......RV community ( winter )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
The original poster asked if he could back up the toad still attached to the motorhome while leaving the motorhome in neutral. It sounds to me like the Jeep would be pulling the motorhome backward. Since the strongest Jeep transmission of that year is only rated to pull 6,500 lbs I would think trying to pull the 20,000 lb motorhome would certainly overload it.

Ok.....my bad....I don't know why you would want to do that. ......but I understand.

don-deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #31
IC2

A simple law of physics is what is needed to explain this. Unfortunately most folks feel that a load stays constant. It doesn't. When you start to pull that heavy load you need to break inertia, better explained as a tendency for an object to resist a change in its state of motion. This is when your toad will need to work fairly hard just to get that big MH to move. As far as overloading anything in that toad, wont happen on a short haul. It's something similar to getting that 34K load underway from a dead stop to highway speed. That's where you need that diesel's horsepower - and just to pick a number out of the air 150Hp. To maintain that speed, you probably, and again, a guesstimate, you migh use only 50-75 Hp. Yes, I understand that that engine is rated at 4-500Hp, but most of it is seldom needed. Now, back to that toad - it has 150-200Hp, put to the ground through an automatic (probably) transmission with a torque converter. That combination along with the differential gear reduction plus the built in tire traction will allow you to put that smaller vehicle to work. Look at it like a 75 foot tug boat moving 900 foot cruise ship. There are limiting factors - the levelness of the terrain, the tires, the tow bar and possibly the hitch.

Would I use a toad if I had to move a big MH - absolutely as long as I was sure of those items noted above
Old 06-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #32

Finally, a logical analysis of the process. Just look sometime at the "Biggest Loser" where they had a half dozen fat people pulling a big bus from a dead stop. Or those guys who pull a dump truck with a rope in their teeth! [Moderator Edit] It's not easy, but it really doesn't take huge forces to pull a large vehicle, even from a dead stop. [Moderator edit]I don't think it will stress your Toad very much.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #33

Should only be done in a situation where it is absolutely necessary to back-up without having to unhook the toad in a tight situation where you might not be able to pull forward to get out of a jam. If it is fairly level and done smoothly without jerking the MH. Similar to seeing those strong man acts where a guy pulls a railroad car. Once you have a little momentum built up, it doesn't take as much force, but getting it started is tough on any transmission.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob N Deb View Post
I would give the try to pulling with the toad before I would have someone I care about try to steer the toad while I back up. Have you ever seen how fast that wheel turns when it decides to turn and you can not stop it. I have thought about doing the pulling thing a couple of time but my car is too little. It is a pain to have to unhook for 10 feet.
Just a thought. why not put your better half assuming you have one in the toad and start it, let her keep the wheels straight, or you get into the toad and let her back the motor home. don't see why that would not work for a short distanced.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:19 PM   #35

On flat ground with a little wind to your back I personally could push a Motor home 50 feet very slow. If the toad can't do it, get another toad. It might not be safe but folks we are talking less than 100 feet in most cases.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:42 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fasttoon View Post
On flat ground with a little wind to your back I personally could push a Motor home 50 feet very slow. If the toad can't do it, get another toad. It might not be safe but folks we are talking less than 100 feet in most cases.
I think their talking about backing up not going foward.
backing up with a toad attached is VERY tricky.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #37

On another note...I'm pretty sure my toad could back my coach if necessary in 4WL.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:27 PM   #38

Two pins, two cables....swing-up & lock tow bar (30 sec). Lean into my Honda & push it 20 ft. ( Maybe 2 min). Walk 60 ft to Coach... Put it in reverse and back- up 15 ft (2 min)....push Honda back into position... swing down tow-bar, two pins, two cables.... Walk back to Coach (2 min)

I dunno, all told maybe 10min to protect a couple thousand dollars worth of equipment. The again I'm retired and have more time than money.

Cheers
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:10 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Two pins, two cables....swing-up & lock tow bar (30 sec). Lean into my Honda & push it 20 ft. ( Maybe 2 min). Walk 60 ft to Coach... Put it in reverse and back- up 15 ft (2 min)....push Honda back into position... swing down tow-bar, two pins, two cables.... Walk back to Coach (2 min)

I dunno, all told maybe 10min to protect a couple thousand dollars worth of equipment. The again I'm retired and have more time than money.

Cheers
Well said and I agree.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
The question is 'Could it be done' ?. Sure why not ? under controlled conditions. But the other question is , Do you want to ?
Old 07-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #41

Consider your options, then try whatever you like in an open area (parking lot) ahead of time. There's nothing that can screw up an intelligent decision like being in a hurry....

No matter how careful you are while driving, you ARE going to find yourself in a situation at some point. Knowing what you're going to do, and how you're going to do it, ahead of time, is a huge stress relief for this driver....