Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Backing with a toad

I have a 2006 jeep toad which I tow 4 down with a U.S. Gear braking system. I know why You can't back with a toad but would it be possible to back the toad itself with the motorhome in neutral for a short distance to avoid having to unhook the toad. Example; you get blocked in at a gas station or heavy traffic and you must back up a few feet 10 to 100 to get clear.It would have to be in a straight line I think but would it damage anything? Has anyone tried this ?
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
My MH weighs 34,000 lbs. My toad (4 Dr Jeep Wrangler) weights about 3800 lbs. My hitch receiver is rated for 10,000 lbs. Assuming the jeep could budge the MH, which it probably could, I would think I would be putting a huge overload on the hitch reciever, not to mention my jeeps tranny.

I'll be interested in seeing what others think on this question.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting question. Might be even more interesting to see if it could be stopped once it was rolling.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to idenphones
Before we left the cold country of Canada I had to do exactly what you are asking using our AWD Ford Edge.

Coach in neutral, engine running, Edge in reverse, reasonably flat ground, DIRT to be exact.

Basically, just a little bit of throttle to backup about 50 feet. Top speed 1 or 2 mph or maybe that was mpDay!!

No problem! The DW did the stopping using the coach brakes. No grunts or groans out of anything.
idenphones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:58 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I often back my toad with the motorhome for distances up to 50-60 Ft. Just watch it closely and stop if wheels start turning, no problem.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The short answer is no.. The reason has to do with steering.

Now.. if you wish to back a SHORT distance and you do not mind the risks you could lock the steering in the towed BUT.. You might damage the tow bar, YOU might damage the suspension on the towed and you WILL add a lot of wear to the tires for the distance traveled.. So I do not recommend this.

Reason. IF you are backing straight up.. No problem.. but if you turn even the slightest then the towed is going to want to swing the front (like a boat swings the rear to turn) and the motor home is not going to allow this.. This will put great stress on the tow bar and the front end of the towed.. Very great stress. way beyond the design on the tow bar and hitch, perhaps beyond the car's design as well.

Thus I would not do it.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
The short answer is no.. The reason has to do with steering.

Now.. if you wish to back a SHORT distance and you do not mind the risks you could lock the steering in the towed BUT.. You might damage the tow bar, YOU might damage the suspension on the towed and you WILL add a lot of wear to the tires for the distance traveled.. So I do not recommend this.

Reason. IF you are backing straight up.. No problem.. but if you turn even the slightest then the towed is going to want to swing the front (like a boat swings the rear to turn) and the motor home is not going to allow this.. This will put great stress on the tow bar and the front end of the towed.. Very great stress. way beyond the design on the tow bar and hitch, perhaps beyond the car's design as well.

Thus I would not do it.
I believe you miss uderstood the question. OP was asking about pulling the coach with the toad.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I guess the answer is yes since idenphones has did it. Maybe on flat ground there isn't too much strain on the toad components. I don't believe the hitch would care since this is the came stress as the camper pulling it forward. Thanks to all for your responses.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
My MH weighs 34,000 lbs. My toad (4 Dr Jeep Wrangler) weights about 3800 lbs. My hitch receiver is rated for 10,000 lbs. Assuming the jeep could budge the MH, which it probably could, I would think I would be putting a huge overload on the hitch reciever, not to mention my jeeps tranny.

I'll be interested in seeing what others think on this question.
The weight of the MH is not the "load" on the towbar/hitch. It takes far less "lbs of pull" to move a rolling object than the object weights.

PHE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:32 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to idenphones
Before I attempted my backwards tow I considered a couple of things.

1. I was at home in a reasonably controlled area.

2. Speed, or lack of it.

3. I had someone helping and watching.

4. The amount of force being exerted on the ball and pin. Our tow bar is the old "A" frame type.

5. All things considered, I said, "Let's give it a try"
idenphones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:24 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have never been in a situation where I needed to do that yet, but have thought about it and this is what I would do. Put DW in toad to to keep the wheels straight an back up. It should work as long as its in a straight line.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
Same here, only my hitch is rated for 6,000. No way I'm trying to pull the MH with a CRV...not worth the risk of tearing something up.
hooverbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
I have never been in a situation where I needed to do that yet, but have thought about it and this is what I would do. Put DW in toad to to keep the wheels straight an back up. It should work as long as its in a straight line.
Now your talking! This is the only way to try it safely, keeping a close eye on the backup monitor if you have one. I have done it this way, just don't use walkie-talkies it can turn ugly real fast!
Rapid Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I would give the try to pulling with the toad before I would have someone I care about try to steer the toad while I back up. Have you ever seen how fast that wheel turns when it decides to turn and you can not stop it. I have thought about doing the pulling thing a couple of time but my car is too little. It is a pain to have to unhook for 10 feet.
Bob N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote