RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:43 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2 home made for Ford Fiestas, Roadmaster on a Camry. Used a Stowmaster Tow Bar. Demco on an Odyssey, and Blue OX on the Flex. Use an ExcalaBar by Demco
I do all my own wiring, some with seperate bulbs some with DIY Diodes.
Used a Brake in a Box for years. The Flex I installed a Brakemaster. The DW is a Great help and Gofer. I have the Tools.

Flex Baseplate Installed

rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2019, 08:05 AM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12amNSX View Post
Great thread!

We recently purchased our MH and a Roadmaster Falcon 2 hitch was part of the deal. However, the components that are installed in the car were not included since it wouldn't fit my Ford Edge.

One of the replies here mentions that you can use a base plate from a different manufacturer if you find it makes for a better install and fit. So, if that's the case, can I use a Blue Ox baseplate for my Roadmaster?

Also, thanks for the encouragement to do it myself. I watched the Youtube video about installing the Blue Ox baseplate and it seemed pretty involved. But I'm pretty mechanically minded and have the tools so I think I'll do it myself.

yes they make adapters.
i used e traieler for the base palet on the edge, blu ox, it kept the attach points up high in the grill vice pretty low for the roadmaster set up.

it was basically bolt on with just a few clearance issues on two bolt holes that were cleaned up with a drill and die grinder
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	base plate install (37).jpg
Views:	24
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	236784  

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:31 AM   #31

It sounds like you're very capable of doing it yourself but I don't think I'd pass up the CW installation for $59, no matter what your opinion of them might otherwise be.

I did my Honda Odyssey by myself and it took a lot more than the time estimated. If I did it a second time it would go much faster. Don't go by what Jeep owners have to say, for the most part Jeeps have much easier access than other automobiles.

It's much easier if you have help and I, too, found that drilling holes in the hardened steel frame was the toughest and, in my case required a right angle drill. I also installed a Ready Brake which took a while since I re-routed the breakaway cable several times from the firewall to the bumper to ensure that it had a smooth path. The brake actuating cable i easier since it's in a sleeve like a bicycle brake cable. As another poster mentioned, locating the exact spot to drill through the firewall can be a challenge. You need to find a landmark that's visible from both sides, measure carefully and drill small pilot/test hole first. You don't want to drill into a dead end compartment or, worse yet, a hydraulic line or other critical part.

And, you only want to remove and re-install your front-end fascia once. It can be difficult and time consuming, plus there's a risk of breaking something (don't ask).
Old 03-04-2019, 08:43 AM   #32

Lots of videos out there. Etrailer shows how to do it on a CRV with a Blue Ox baseplate. I did mine and am about to do my new Jeep.

My neighbor couldn’t be bothered and paid the RV dealer to do the work. They did a good job from what I can see.

I’d say putting a baseplate on is 3 out of 5 wrenches in the difficulty scale. 1- being very easy and 5 being difficult. There’s going to be some tough bolts to get to. Maybe some limited spaces to work in. May also be some cutting/drilling. I recall having to relocate some wiring harnesses on my CRV. But nothing real hard. Maybe some heavy lifting, but not that bad. Having a helper and a clean, dry place to work is key.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:20 PM   #33
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
It sounds like you're very capable of doing it yourself but I don't think I'd pass up the CW installation for $59, no matter what your opinion of them might otherwise be.
<snip>
Wait a second, CW will install baseplates for $59 ...??? That can't be right.

I don't know, even though I haven't personally had work done a CW and I often shop there when it's the only place around to get supplies, I don't think I'd want them installing baseplates. Sure, I know it will depend on who is doing it but from the stories I've hear about their service department, I don't know if I'd want them to do something as safety related as installation of baseplates ...especially for $59 !!

I know there are multiple threads here on the pros and cons of CW in general, here's one:

Camping World Base Plate Install Nightmare

eta: nevermind ...I guess that is not a misprint

Install Anything $59
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:34 PM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Wait a second, CW will install baseplates for $59 ...??? That can't be right.

I don't know, even though I haven't personally had work done a CW and I often shop there when it's the only place around to get supplies, I don't think I'd want them installing baseplates. Sure, I know it will depend on who is doing it but from the stories I've hear about their service department, I don't know if I'd want them to do something as safety related as installation of baseplates ...especially for $59 !!

I know there are multiple threads here on the pros and cons of CW in general, here's one:

Camping World Base Plate Install Nightmare

eta: nevermind ...I guess that is not a misprint

Install Anything $59

yep if you buy it from cw...my wife saw t and was going to take the edge in and let them install all the stuff we bought from e trailer...
base plate install, if i had to have someone do it, i would have to watch them closely

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:47 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Base Plate + Brake System - did you install it yourself or pay to have it installed?

Did both mine and my fathers Grand Cherokee. I used Demco and I put BlueOx on his blue ox had a little more to it bolts and drilling etc. but overall very easy task. The hardest part is removing all the clips and screws from the front fascia and not losing them lol. You can definitely save yourself some money and DIY.
USMC_1345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:59 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by davendeb View Post
Camping world (I know. Lots of hate here for CW) currently has a $59 installation special until March 17. I bought invisibrake today for $899 and will have it, electrical wiring and base plates I installed next week for $59 each. Could pass up that labor savings.
I had them install a slide topper several years ago. They installed it incorrectly and broke my door. Sorry, not trusting them.
richardgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:31 PM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
yep if you buy it from cw...my wife saw t and was going to take the edge in and let them install all the stuff we bought from e trailer...
base plate install, if i had to have someone do it, i would have to watch them closely
Buyer Beware! A very good friend bought a new Ford F150 King Ranch 4X4 to tow behind his MH. He already had the Roadmaster Evenbrake system and he is keeping his older Jeep Liberty so he needed a second vehicle sending unit. He went to CW to get the work done. While they had his truck they dented his door. They drilled two holes in the door trying to fix the dent. Then they ordered the wrong base plate and tried to install it by drilling two wrong holes in his frame. They finally got the right base plate installed, but they improperly installed the second vehicle sending unit. They may have installed the diodes in the tail lights properly.

I think I would save my vehicle and spend more money at some other RV shop! Or better yet, do what I did and do it yourself.
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGlider View Post
I installed a Roadmaster baseplate on my 17 Honda Fit.
Alan
Alan, I looked at the owner's manual of the '17 Honda Fit and it specifically states not to tow it behind a motorhome. Your thoughts on this? For sure, Honda would void your warranty if you needed warranty work. No?
djbckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:32 PM   #39

I have used ALL Roadmaster equipment and been very happy. I installed everything, including the BrakeMaster which is Roadmaster's 'direct' proportional braking system. It connects directly to the motorhomes air brake system for rock-solid, reliable braking brake line pressure in the motorhome controls the brakes in the towed vehicle, including break away. My toad is a 2012 Chev. Traverse. Shop around for price!! Saved about $2500.00 I also wrapped all my air lines and wires with wire harness due to heat and chafing.
Danesrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:13 PM   #40

Professional Intallatione

I have had 3 installed for me, professional tractor trailer dealer for the first two (American Truck and Trailer in VA), a local truck/trailer guy for my third. (First 2 were installed by someone who has since passed away.)
mnothstein01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:35 PM   #41

DIY Baseplate

Just had a Blue Ox baseplate put on a 2017 Chevy Equinox. Videos, directions and guys on here said DIY. I said I’m not that good when things don’t go as easy as video showed. So I took it to an Auto Body shop I’ve used for other car work. Glad I didn’t do it. They said video is a joke and directions were poor for what had to be done. The 2017 is not like the older models but Blue Ox thought so. Any way done for $380. Money well spent and I know they do great work so I know it was done right!
Fireairdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:51 PM   #42

I installed a BlueOx baseplate on our Chevy Spark. I'm pretty particular and sense it was my first attempt at something like this it went oretty slow. Not a big deal though. I've thought about it sense and realised as another poster stated, that this is work for a body shop,not a garage or CW. Pulling the front fascia or bumper cover off was the thing that I had the least experience with. Where are the hidden fasteners, how hard can I pry w/o damaging something? Routine stuff for a body shop. The brake system might be more of a challenge for them but I suspect not.

5spd97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, install, led