Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2017, 08:29 AM   #1

Base Plate for 2017 GMC Canyon

I would appreciate some input on which baseplate to install on my new 2017 GMC Canyon. The jeep we had used a blue ox baseplate and tow bar, which worked well. However, I understand there are others that might not require as much intrusive installation on these particular trucks. Can I get some input from other Canyon owners as to which baseplate you went wtih?
Thank you,

Rick Perryman
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2017, 08:34 AM   #2

Blue Ox on my 2015 Canyon. No problems or issues.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:04 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Rick.....I've installed two different base plates on the 2016 Canyon. I installed the Blue on my neighbor's diesel Canyon and the Roadmaster plates on gas Canyon. There is a difference between the two base plates. If you buy the Blue Ox, the tow bar connection is above the bumper. The Roadmaster baseplates connect at the tow hooks. The Roadmaster works better if you own a DP as they'll match up better to the DP hitch height.

Since you have a gasser, your hitch on the coach is much higher than a DP and the Blue Ox will work better for you. Either one requires pulling the front facia off. The front facia is the entire front piece including bumper and grille. It's a lot of push pins and a few bolts, but a pretty easy job.

The instructions are pretty good. I believe there is a YouTube video also. Here are some tips..... First have a blanket setup on the ground nearby. Once you pull the facia off, you'll want to place it on the blanket. There is a joint on both sides of the front end where the facia meets the front fenders. There are 3 bolts on each side that hold this joint together and need to be removed. I like to place blue tape on both sides of the joint to protect the paint.

Along the top of the radiator, there are about 7-8 push pin type connectors that need to be removed. They make a tool for this that looks like a little "V" shaped pry bar. You can get one at an auto parts store or just use a screwdriver.

Here is the one that is hard to find. In the middle of the grille, about 20 inches apart, are two 10 mm bolts. You need to lay on the ground and look up at angle toward the center of the grille to see them.

Once all the fasteners are removed, you pull the facia off. It has some push in type alignment clips that will pull loose as you pull back.

Removing the front end is pretty simple. I'm very particular and made my own mounting bracket for all of my connections in the center of the grille. I had to remove my facia twice to get the height on my connections right. The second time I had the facia off in about 15 minutes.

Once you get everything off, the installation of the base plates is pretty straightforward.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:22 PM   #4

Thanks Don. Based on your input, I am planning to go back with the Blue Ox.
The truck is a little on the heavy side for my gasser, but weights a few pounds less than the Jeep did and it is a lot more versatile and has more creature comforts.
Possibly with the installation on the Canyon, my Blue Ox might be a little higher and I can get rid of the drop down hitch.
Also planning to get rid of the RVI 2 and go with the SMI Stay in Play.

Rick
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote