Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Base Plate Recommendation for 2008 Saturn Vue

I am planning on outfitting my 2008 Saturn Vue XR for towing. I am pretty flexible in the selection of the tow bar, baseplates, etc. I am leaning toward using the ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system. I can order it to attach to most any major brand baseplates without having to use any adapters. I will be doing the installation myself.

Can anyone give me an idea of which baseplates work best, or which installation is the easiest with my car? I know there will be drilling and cutting involved and the front fascia modified, but which baseplate mfgr has the best idea? We use the Saturn for our everyday car when we're at home, so appearance might be a slight factor to consider.

Also, if the ReadyBrute tow bar isn't appropriate for this application please suggest an alternative. I'm trying to save a few bucks, but I don't want to compromise function or safety.
HarleyWJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2011, 06:23 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
We use a Blue OX Aventa LX it is heavier than some but has a 10,000 lb. capacity. I did not do the install on our old Saturn Vue.
I have order a new base plate for my new Ford Flex. And will continue to use my old tow bar. Tom Johnson Camping will do the install. 6 hours @ $105 per hour. I still haven't picked a brake system, but I am leaning toward the Blue Ox Patriot. Easy to install and use. Here's the Blue Ox site..Good Luck... D
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar, Class IV, Ball Swivel, 2 in Shank BX7445
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I like the Blue Ox base plate design a bit better than Roadmaster (I've had both), but the difference is mostly cosmetic.

Whether there is cutting or drilling depends on the front end of you Vue. Often there are available holes to use and the mods are minimal, if any. I've installed base plates on 4 cars and have yet to drill a hole, but did have to cut away a bit of fascia on one.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:53 PM   #4

I just had a Blue Ox base plate installed on my 2008 Vue Redline - looks great!! After several weeks of product installation manual review - blue ox seem to be best looking and mounting location were similar to a rear mounted hitch; also tow bar hookup is higher above ground than other brand. Installation was performed by the shop I purchase the base plate. Figured my time was worth more than spending 4-5 hrs on the ground. Although, doesn't seem too complicated if you have proper tools.

For the tow bar I'm in the same boat. Haven't figured out how much $$ to spend. The all in one with surge brake (ReadyBrute) is appealing but not too much review on it yet - that I could find. The setup would cost less than if you were to purchase tow bar and all in one brake unit. Good Luck

Keep us posted on which tow bar/brake system you decide on.
souprman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:35 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well, with the advice of this group, I have made a decision and ordered the equipment. I opted for the Blue Ox base plates and the ReadyBrute tow bar. Other incidentals like safety cables, breakaway kit, cover, and 7 to 6 coiled cord are also coming. I spent about $1450.00 for the various parts. I'll do the install myself.

I got really varied opinions about the braking system. Everyone thinks theirs is the best unless they have had an awful experience with it. The air operated systems appealed most to me since I have air brakes, but the economics of the situation led me to the surge-brake type system. Over a thirty year span I must have rented a dozen or so U-Haul trailers and pulled them with both trucks and cars. The larger trailers always had surge brakes, even though I didn't realize it at the time. Anyway I thought I'd try this out. If it doesn't work out, there seems to be a pretty good demand for used quality tow bars. I know it would mean I'd have to start again from scratch with both a new tow bar and brake system, but I'm going to take a chance.

I'll report how all this shakes out in the next 2-3 weeks. Thanks for the advice!
HarleyWJones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2008 saturn vue, baseplate, toad, towing