Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #1

Base Plates

Is it possible to find a used base plate that fits a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee used with a Roadmaster Falcon 5250?
Award is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello Award and Welcome to irv2!

I have seen used base plates at various RV service and parts centers. You could try calling your local RV stores and ask.

I usually watch craigslist classifieds and rarely see used base plates, but have seen many used tow bar and brake set ups.

Good luck with your quest and have fun.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Try Ebay. I have been building my towing system thru them and so far have done well. Base plates and Stowmaster 5000 for less than $500.00.

Being retired means you can put off till tomorrow what you could have done today
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy and welcome to the forum. I'm sure it's possible to find a used base plate, but you'll have to do some searching to find one. Check the usual classified listings, EBay, Craigslist, and even the classifieds here on this site. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #5
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Award View Post
Is it possible to find a used base plate that fits a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee used with a Roadmaster Falcon 5250?

You don't necessarily need a Roadmaster base plate to use a Roadmaster tow bar. Blue Ox, for example, sells ends for the tow bar arms to adapt other makes of tow bars to their base plates. Some of the adapters are shown on the RV Upgrades web site. BTW, RV Upgrades is a sponsor of iRV2, and they are very good to deal with.

Check the classified ads here on iRV2 to see if any base plates that will fit are listed. If not, you could check out Hitch Trader. They sell pre-owned towing equipment.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Award View Post
Try Demco, they've made a lot of base plates for almost all Jeep models then you can get adapters for the tow bar ..... or just get a Demco tow bar.
95f5334j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #7

Award, Welcome to the forum. It may be possible to find a used one, but is it worth all the effort, and in the end maybe not find one. Is there any reason other than financial that would keep you from buying new?
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #8

I have been buying used base plates since I've been in rv ing there fine and can usaly find them at a web site called ( hitch trader ) I have always used roadmaster as they have all there manuals on the web and there tech support is great.
John
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
I had a base plate fabricated for the 1985 Nissan pickup and found a used base plate for the 1998 CRV. I found the CRV base plate on Craigs List. I just kept looking under "auto parts" and "recreation vehicles" for search words CRV base plate. Hope this helps.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
www.hitchtrader.com is a good place. I bought a base plate and tow bar there. Both items were in near new shape and I saved at least 50%. Just make sure you look in their "for Sale" section and not "Wanted". You can also post a Wanted ad on their site for free. Ask for what you want and you might get a responce. Just be careful of scammers any time you are posting a wanted ad.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #11

I have a used Blue Ox baseplate for a HHR for sale.
Hapecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post

You don't necessarily need a Roadmaster base plate to use a Roadmaster tow bar. Blue Ox, for example, sells ends for the tow bar arms to adapt other makes of tow bars to their base plates. Some of the adapters are shown on the RV Upgrades web site. BTW, RV Upgrades is a sponsor of iRV2, and they are very good to deal with.
I was looking for a sponsor member to purchase new tow bar and brake system from. Their pricing is equal or close to other vendors, but like to support those who support the greater cause.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote