Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2014, 10:03 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Entegra Owners Club
Base Plates for 2013 Edge Limited

As I get closer to purchasing my first Class A (looking at short DPs like the 2006 Journey 34H) I started to look at Base Plates for my 2013 Edge Limited (V-6 FWD) and came across a Blue OX and a Roadmaster. Their exit point on the front of the Edge is rather different, the Roadmaster much lower than the Blue Ox. (see photos below)

So is there any advantage of one over the other or is it just a matter of what 'look' appeals to the purchaser?

Of those out there towing a late model Edge like the 2013 -

What Base Plate did you use?
What Tow Bar are you using?

Thanks,
Russ

Blue Ox Installation Exit point-

The RoadMaster exit Point (lower)
rgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2014, 03:39 PM   #2

The picture you show are of two different year models of the Ford Edge...might very likely account for the different exit points on the baseplates.

That being said, allow me to make a case for the Demco baseplates. What I like the best about them (and why I purchased mine) was that they eliminate one more potential point of failure by being solid, one-piece units. I can completely understand the appeal of being able to completely eliminate any 'extensions' from the front of the grill, but anytime you create a removable part, that's one more part that must rely on a mechanical connection that's more likely to fail than a single, homogeneous piece.

I'll also add that what you can see from the Demco plates isn't very recognizable unless you're looking for it, it certainly doesn't get in the way, AND it's one less part to lose or damage.

My two cents...
Herman Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:02 PM   #3

Russ - we are looking to buy a 2013 Edge soon and have researched the dickens out of everything regarding using it as a toad.

From what I've found on several forums/sites, the Blue Ox base plate in the top picture mounts high to accommodate the Edge Adaptive Cruise Control Sensor (the black box on lower part of grille opening, driver side), which is included in one of the packages for the Edge (302A I believe). This puts the towbar attachments about 27" above the ground and I believe a lot higher than most MH hitches...thus a drop down receiver will likely be needed to keep tow bar level. I think the attachments sticking out thru the chrome part of the grille are a bit obtrusive also...IMO.

We are not buying an Edge with the Adaptive Cruise Control specifically so we can use other base plates that attach lower down on the front of the car and closer to same height as MH hitches. And personally think they look better coming out at the lower part of grille....but just my opinion.

Finally, I did see a post somewhere (don't have a clue where as I've think I've been to the end of the internet and back on 2013 Edge towing) where one resourceful owner relocated the Sensor so he could use a baseplate that mounted lower.

BTW, here are the links for DEMCO and Blue Ox for 2011-later Edge - note differences in connector height above ground for each...

http://demco-products.com/rv-towing-...late-fit-list/

http://blueox.com/Uploads/Docs/BX2628.pdf

Hope this helps.
John
Rmedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:05 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Entegra Owners Club
John,

Thanks for the response. My Edge is a Limited trim level but without the Adaptive Cruise Control so I will go with one of the base plates that come out thru the lower part of the grille like the Demco or Roadmaster.

Russ
rgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Russ and John i installed the Roadmaster XL 4408-1 on our 2011 Edge without Adaptive Cruise Control Sensor Go here click on the part # to see a picture and instructions also you can click on the little camers to see how it looks.
http://roadmasterinc.com/vehicle_gui...r_brackets.php
When i installed my XL brackets insted of cutting a hole in the bottom grill i just removed it and stored in the bracket box and when we traded it in for the F150 i removed the brackets and reinstalled the botom grill, could not tell i had ever had the bracket installed. On our coach i did not need a upside down drop hitch but you would with the other type.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You want to use whatever equipment allows you to keep the tow bar attachment points on both ends as level with each other as possible. I'm thinking that for any given vehicle the base plate no matter who makes it will come out of the front of your vehicle more or less at the same area. I may be wrong, but either way you want your tow bar as close to level as you can get no matter what RV/towed vehicle/tow bar/base plate combination you consider.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote