Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #1

Base plates for the Fiat 500 Lounge

RoadMaster and Blue Ox list base plates for the Pop and Sport, has anyone installed them on the Lounge? To their knowledge, both manufacturers have not yet had the opportunity. We have just purchased a 2013 and love it. Thanks!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #2

We've been sort of looking at a Fiat but not really sure that we'd want something that small. Ideally, we'd like a VW Golf TDI but there are varying reports that damage could be done to a 6-speed manual with a clutch. I think somebody at VW is misunderstanding and thinking we want to tow a 6-speed manual DSG with no clutch.

But anyway, from what we can tell and have been told, the Pop and the Lounge are exactly the same vehicle but with the Lounge having nicer trim and a larger option list. Their dimensions and capacities are identical according the the FIAT website.

I'm kind of thinking the same baseplate will work with the Lounge as is being used with the Pop. Maybe you can call Blue Ox or Roadmaster to make sure. If you are close to the Portland Oregon/Vancouver Washington area, you can always drop by the Roadmaster factory and get advice. They're really nice people.

Here are the images of the two directly from the FIAT website; the first being the Pop followed by the Lounge ...the main difference is the fog lights that are on the Lounge (maybe that's why the base plate bracket can't be installed? ...again, I would think Roadmaster or Blue Ox can advise you on that):

-harry

Old 05-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #3

We bought a 2013 Fiat 500 Pop and are very happy with it. There is a difference in the ride of a Pop compared to the other 500 models. The Pop comes with 15" wheels, the other models come with 16" wheels which give a smoother ride. I didn't want the extra options (and expense) that come with the Sport model so I replaced the stock wheels and tires with 16". It cost about one third of what it would cost to buy a Sport model.

I had RG and Sons in Phoenix install the base plate and Readybrute brake system. Because of the way the frame is designed on the Fiat it was very difficult to rig the Readybrute brake cables on the car. This was the first Fiat installation that John at RG and Sons had done. He charged me the quoted price even thought he had lots more time in the project than he anticipated.

The Fiat is a fun little car to drive. I wouldn't want to ride as a passenger in the back seat but there's lots of room in the back with the seats folded down for carrying stuff. Air bags all around for safety.

I also looked at the Hyundia Veloster. The only reason I didn't buy the Veloster is because I store my MH and Toad in the summer and it has to fit in a 50' storage spot. The Veloster was a little too long.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #4

Thanks for the description AKJohn. We're not sure about a Fiat yet but your comments certainly helpful.

However, the Pop and the Lounge both come with 15" wheels. The standard wheels with the Pop are 15" steel with covers and aluminum wheels optional where the Lounge has the 15" aluminum wheels standard.

But to help the OP, would the fog lamps on the Lounge preclude installing base plates? I wouldn't think so but comparing it to yours, do you think the fog lamps on the Lounge interfere with the placement of the brackets? Otherwise, the front bumper area of both look identical to me.

-harry
Old 05-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #5

The spot on my Fiat where the tow bar connects are well clear of the fog lamps shown in the photo. It would be best to direct the question to Blue Ox or whatever company you to buy your base plate from. Take a test drive in the Veloster. It comes with 16" wheels and the ride/performance is really good. It only weighs a few hundred pounds more than the Fiat.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote