Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2019, 02:48 PM   #1

Baseplate installation

Does anybody know of a place I can have a baseplate installed on my Honda in the Dallas/Ft Worth area that doesn’t charge an arm and a leg? (Less than $1000?)
142rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2019, 08:23 PM   #2

I don't know what a arm & leg means to you (I guess under 1K)....but from our experience, a baseplate for a vehicle like yours, just buying the baseplate alone is like what—$500-$700 or so. Right? If that's the case, there's no shop that's going to install that for $200-$300 bucks to give you less than 1K total out the door cost. It's a lot of work.

The time to install the baseplate alone on our toad took a whole day and that was at a well known, respected shop in Houston, TX that does this all day, everyday, for the last 30 years and they know what they're doing. It's a lot of time and labor.

Less than $1K I think is a low. IMO...more like $1200-$1500 for the baseplate hardware purchase and install in your situation.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:32 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I just had a new baseplate put on my new Wrangler about a month ago. It took them three hours with two men working on it. For the record a Wrangler is relatively easy to install a baseplate on. Your limit is kinda low.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:54 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I just had a new baseplate put on my new Wrangler about a month ago. It took them three hours with two men working on it. For the record a Wrangler is relatively easy to install a baseplate on. Your limit is kinda low.
I just picked up a Currie base plate for my Wrangler for $230 and the install looks pretty straight forward, maybe an hour or two, by myself, so I’m doing it. A grand seems really high to me, even if it include the price of the base plate.

My advise to the OP, buy the base plate then find a small local garage to install it. I know nothing about how to install one on a Honda, so maybe I’m off base, but a base plate is a pretty easy install. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:13 PM   #5

Under $400 for new number and a couple hours of my time

mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
Under $400 for new number and a couple hours of my time

Misleading. Add the price of the aftermarket bumper.
Eaglesview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:00 AM   #7

Sorry, I don't have a shop recommendation. Go to the local auto body shop for estimates. What model Honda?
I did the baseplate installation on my Jeep plus the hard wiring for lights, breakaway system and battery charger. The job took about 8 hours plus research prior to installation. If I had to do it again I could shave about 2 hours off the job.
If done correctly the installer earns there money.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesview View Post
Misleading. Add the price of the aftermarket bumper.
Sorry but not misleading at all. Here is the exact bumper and exact place I got it from and I paid $349 for it. I even sold the stock one on Facebook market place for $50

So just as I said under $400 and a couple hours of my time

Old 09-15-2019, 07:59 AM   #9

Please accept my apology. I had understood the those bumpers were north of $1,000. I will consider that for my wrangler.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesview View Post
Please accept my apology. I had understood the those bumpers were north of $1,000. I will consider that for my wrangler.
Who is the bumper manufacturer?
Old 09-15-2019, 08:32 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
Sorry but not misleading at all. Here is the exact bumper and exact place I got it from and I paid $349 for it. I even sold the stock one on Facebook market place for $50

So just as I said under $400 and a couple hours of my time

I could not find anywhere that states if that bumper is tow rated. I’m not saying it isn’t, I’m just saying I didn’t find anywhere that stated it is. I’d hate for another Jeep owner & RV’er get into an unsafe situation. I’d verify it was tow tested/rated. I have a similar bumper that I’m pulling off because it isn’t tow rated, better safe than sorry.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:37 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I had a local truck accessories shop install mine!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142rv View Post
Does anybody know of a place I can have a baseplate installed on my Honda in the Dallas/Ft Worth area that doesn’t charge an arm and a leg? (Less than $1000?)

142rv. You should identify the model and year of your Honda. Without that, your thread turned into a do it yourself thread for the Jeep Wrangler. If it’s a CRV, I had one and it’s definitely not something that I wanted to do by myself. The entire front fascia has to be removed in order to install the baseplate. Hope you find a reasonable shop for the work.

If you get to the Ocala Fl. area, the Hitching Post is the most reasonable. Might be worth a call just to get an idea on price.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMichHunte View Post
I could not find anywhere that states if that bumper is tow rated. I’m not saying it isn’t, I’m just saying I didn’t find anywhere that stated it is. I’d hate for another Jeep owner & RV’er get into an unsafe situation. I’d verify it was tow tested/rated. I have a similar bumper that I’m pulling off because it isn’t tow rated, better safe than sorry.
The tow bar plate bolts right to were the factory recovery hooks were bolted. I towed my old wrangler over 50k miles with these U brackets that were bolted to were the stock recovery hooks bolt.

Tags
baseplate, install