Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #15

What was the temp on both days?

Did you get fuel?

Did you let it warm-up, yes one day not the other?

TurboLQ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2014, 11:22 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboLQ9 View Post
What was the temp on both days?

Did you get fuel?

Did you let it warm-up, yes one day not the other?
Oh, for pete's sake - I've had this car for a year and nearly 10,000 miles, and I know about temperature effects. But for the record, I noticed the difference in mileage immediately - driving home after the work was done (when it was warmer than the morning). And the mileage loss has persisted, about 43-44 mpg instead of 47.

F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #17
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F&D ABQ View Post
Oh, for pete's sake - I've had this car for a year and nearly 10,000 miles, and I know about temperature effects. But for the record, I noticed the difference in mileage immediately - driving home after the work was done (when it was warmer than the morning). And the mileage loss has persisted, about 43-44 mpg instead of 47.

Check the louver connection. Look for any interference concerning the louvers being able to close. If they cannot move, or are restricted, you will see some difference.

The Aero differences of most cars is almost insignificant less than 40 mph. I don't know what your route was like, however use that as a gauge.

The Temp sensors in the front of most modern cars is far the driver information, not the tuning. The tuning is done at the MAF sensor between the airbox and throttle body.

When you get that Ford up to about 150mph in traffic, then that 43lbs. and those hole will probably come into effect, until then, I would leave all NASCAR or other racecar references out of the troubleshooting window.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I've never heard of this before. I'd call Roadmaster and ask them if the install may interfere with the mpg sensor.
There is no such thing as a "MPG sensor". MPG is a calculation that the PCM does based on the amount of fuel needed for each combustion cycle, RPM, calculated engine load, gear, etc. This is purely software calculation.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:51 AM   #19

Quote:
I just had Camping World install a Roadmaster baseplate on my 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid. MPG gauge now shows low 40's instead of the high 40's the day before (over the same routes, same speeds.) Anyone else see this?
Have you noticed less time on electric only mode? I don't remember if the Fusion has electric grill shudders but if it does, there should be a check engine light on if it is unplugged. Most items unplugged that affects emissions will trigger a warning light. You could have a dealer run a complete active self test to make sure that all modules do not show a fault. The Hybrids have multiple modules that communicate with each other for system operation. A complete self test of all modules is the only way to make sure there are not active or detected faults.

The computers used today generally do not lose any adaptives like they use to. IDS is needed to erase learned adaptives. So I cannot believe unplugging the battery would cause the PCM to need to relearn but there is always that possibility. You may need to give it a week or two to see if your MPG increases back.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #20

I suggest checking mileage with a calculator over several fill-ups to see if the MPG guage is truthful. I have yet to see one that is.

But, at $3.25 per gallon, using 42 and 47 MPG, your fuel use could be off by 1 cent per mile.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:10 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the things I've noticed over the years that affects gas mileage is tire pressure. I've had work done at shops and they adjusted my tire pressure as a courtesy.

I tell shops now..."Don't help me out, leave my tires alone."

Perhaps the shop dropped your tire pressures.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:50 AM   #22

Honda Fit

My Honda dropped about 1/2 Mpg by adding the baseplates and another 1/2 when I added the trailer hitch for the bike. these are real numbers taken over about 10,000 miles each. the real hit came when I up sized the tires by one size that cost almost 1mpg. I think these newer cars are very finely tuned to there stock configuration.
John
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:05 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy2 View Post
the real hit came when I up sized the tires by one size that cost almost 1mpg.
John
Did you have the speedometer recalibrated for the new size tires? The speedo, odometer, and trip computer all work off wheel revolutions, and assume a specific tire size to calculate miles traveled. If not recalibrated, chances are you are going faster and getting better mileage than your instruments suggest. Unless, of course, you're going by "old school" calculations by fillup, in which case never mind.
Crabby Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:13 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy2 View Post
My Honda dropped about 1/2 Mpg by adding the baseplates and another 1/2 when I added the trailer hitch for the bike. these are real numbers taken over about 10,000 miles each. the real hit came when I up sized the tires by one size that cost almost 1mpg. I think these newer cars are very finely tuned to there stock configuration. John
If your Fit averages 30mpg, over 5000 miles at $3.25/gallon, your 2mpg decrease would cost about 38 bucks. So the hit on bigger tires would be 19 bucks. Not too bad!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:25 PM   #25

not complaining, just saying. If I were that concerned I wouldn't be driving a 15 ton bus. Life is full of trade offs.
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:00 PM   #26

Quote:
I just had Camping World install a Roadmaster baseplate on my 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid. MPG gauge now shows low 40's instead of the high 40's the day before (over the same routes, same speeds.) Anyone else see this?
I currently have the same problem with my 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid. Since I bought the car I have found two things that cause my mileage to drop. The first issue has to do with the temperature outside the vehicle. My mileage drops an average of 5 MPG when the temperature goes below 35-40 degree. The other problem has to do with mileage calculation, if you the leave the ignition switch on accessory for more than 15 minutes or longer your MPG will be reduced. I have been looking into the cause of this problem several months until one day I was able restore the mileage calculation. One day just after filling the gas tank I had driven about 25 miles and stopped so my wife could do some shopping. I stayed in the car to listen to the radio with the engine off and ignition switch on accessory. Before parking mileage was reporting 46 MPG but after getting back on the road I was getting only 41MPG. After resetting the main mileage counter and driving another 20 or so miles and it returned back to 46MPG.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiens View Post
I currently have the same problem with my 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid. Since I bought the car I have found two things that cause my mileage to drop. The first issue has to do with the temperature outside the vehicle. My mileage drops an average of 5 MPG when the temperature goes below 35-40 degree. The other problem has to do with mileage calculation, if you the leave the ignition switch on accessory for more than 15 minutes or longer your MPG will be reduced. I have been looking into the cause of this problem several months until one day I was able restore the mileage calculation. One day just after filling the gas tank I had driven about 25 miles and stopped so my wife could do some shopping. I stayed in the car to listen to the radio with the engine off and ignition switch on accessory. Before parking mileage was reporting 46 MPG but after getting back on the road I was getting only 41MPG. After resetting the main mileage counter and driving another 20 or so miles and it returned back to 46MPG.
One thing to remember is that the fuel economy is not only based on the gasoline used but the energy stored in the batteries. If you have batteries that have a higher level of charge, the need for the gasoline engine is reduced. The efficiency of the batteries also decrease with cold. This is the nature of batteries. The systems have heating and cooling for the batteries but it takes time for the warm up or cooling process.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:28 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
We have averaged 49.4 mpg on our 2013 Fusion Hybrid before getting a tow hitch, then later a base plate... the only time the mileage decreases in on 70mph highways, then it drops considerably. We have put 20,000 miles on it since buying it in August 2013.