Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #1

Battery connection

Hello everyone;
I'm new to this site so bear with me for my question. First off I have a 97 Bounder class A 30 ft and I tow a 99 Jeep Cherokee behind with a round 4 wire plug. I want to run a wire from my chassis battery to the Jeep to charge the battery while towing. My question is, since the cables on the chassis battery of the motorhome are hooked up on the side of the battery, can I add a "Brass knife switch terminal with stud for top post batteries" to the top post so that I can connect the wire to it and also disconnect the power to the Jeep when I'm done towing?
Any advice is appreciated
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2014, 02:09 PM   #2
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MypetBella View Post
Hello everyone;
I'm new to this site so bear with me for my question. First off I have a 97 Bounder class A 30 ft and I tow a 99 Jeep Cherokee behind with a round 4 wire plug. I want to run a wire from my chassis battery to the Jeep to charge the battery while towing. My question is, since the cables on the chassis battery of the motorhome are hooked up on the side of the battery, can I add a "Brass knife switch terminal with stud for top post batteries" to the top post so that I can connect the wire to it and also disconnect the power to the Jeep when I'm done towing?
Any advice is appreciated
Thanks
IMO you could add the switch. Just make sure the line to the Jeep is fused and it should have a diode in it so not to drain the Jeep battery in case of a failure of the chassis battery or while starting the engine on the chassis.

You could also accomplish this with the use of a 5 pin or 7 pin connector, still should have the diode.

Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:04 PM   #3

Battery connection

Thanks Ken, I plan on installing a 30Amp circuit breaker on each end and try to connect the wire to a spare 4 wire connector so I can just hook it up when I am ready to tow.
Jim
Old 07-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #4

Battery connection

Hi all; on my last thread I said I was going to install a 30Amp circuit breaker on each end of the battery wire, so my question is since the breaker has two posts one marked "Bat", where the wire from the chassis battery goes to, do I reverse the connection on the toad side so that both ends of the wire are connected to the "Bat" post and the other post for the toad battery?
I am able to work on and fix a lot of things but when it comes to auto electrical I'm lost, so any advice is very welcome.
Thanks
Old 07-27-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MypetBella View Post
Hi all; on my last thread I said I was going to install a 30Amp circuit breaker on each end of the battery wire, so my question is since the breaker has two posts one marked "Bat", where the wire from the chassis battery goes to, do I reverse the connection on the toad side so that both ends of the wire are connected to the "Bat" post and the other post for the toad battery?
I am able to work on and fix a lot of things but when it comes to auto electrical I'm lost, so any advice is very welcome.
Thanks
It will work either way at the towed end, but for simplicity connect the wire from the RV house battery 5 pin connector to the bat terminal on the breaker at the toad and the connect the wire to the toad battery to the other side of the breaker.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery