Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-14-2015, 09:00 AM   #1
Member
 
Wingrydr57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 57
Battery disconnect for 2014 Hyundai Elantra

Hello all, we have a 2014 Hyundai Elantra and want to tow it behind a mh with a ACME tow dolly. We are new to all this so my question is is if I have to unlock the steering wheel would I have to disconnect the battery? I assume the negative cable? And has anyone towed an Elantra before? We just bought it we traded our Toyota rav4 because we couldn't tow that unless on a full size car trailer and I didn't want to deal with the big trailer. Thanks to all for your help!

Clear skies, Steve
__________________

__________________
Wingrydr57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2015, 11:16 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
lllkrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingrydr57 View Post
Hello all, we have a 2014 Hyundai Elantra and want to tow it behind a mh with a ACME tow dolly. We are new to all this so my question is is if I have to unlock the steering wheel would I have to disconnect the battery? I assume the negative cable? And has anyone towed an Elantra before? We just bought it we traded our Toyota rav4 because we couldn't tow that unless on a full size car trailer and I didn't want to deal with the big trailer. Thanks to all for your help!

Clear skies, Steve
Instead of disconnecting the battery try this:

1) Insert key into ignition

2) Turn key to ON position

3) Turn key to OFF position

4) DONOT remove key from ignition

5) Move steering wheel back and forth

Steering wheel should remain unlocked as long as key remains in ignition. When key is removed steering wheel will then lock when moved.
__________________

__________________
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD V6
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:36 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
jackfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Instead of disconnecting the battery try this:

1) Insert key into ignition

2) Turn key to ON position

3) Turn key to OFF position

4) DONOT remove key from ignition

5) Move steering wheel back and forth

Steering wheel should remain unlocked as long as key remains in ignition. When key is removed steering wheel will then lock when moved.
That will not work on a Hyundai. The steering wheel is unlocked in the ACC and ON key positions only. In the ACC position there is still a power draw, even if the radio display is turned off. I'd have a switch installed on the negative battery cable or terminal.

However, if towing on a dolly with the front wheels off the ground and the rear wheels on the ground, wouldn't one just leave the ignition OFF?
__________________
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:40 PM   #4
Member
 
Wingrydr57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
That will not work on a Hyundai. The steering wheel is unlocked in the ACC and ON key positions only. In the ACC position there is still a power draw, even if the radio display is turned off. I'd have a switch installed on the negative battery cable or terminal.

However, if towing on a dolly with the front wheels off the ground and the rear wheels on the ground, wouldn't one just leave the ignition OFF?
The ACME tow dolly dosent pivot in turns it turns the steering on the car itself. I will look for a switch for the neg. battery. Thanks for your post!
__________________
Wingrydr57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:00 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 18
I have a 2014 Elantra and a Acme tow dolly I towed mine for the first time 1600 miles without a problem steering wheel did not lock with the key left in the ignition. I checked it a number of times and had no issues, I am very happy with my Acme dolly the braking is way better than I imagined.
__________________
geraldnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:21 AM   #6
Member
 
Wingrydr57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldnew View Post
I have a 2014 Elantra and a Acme tow dolly I towed mine for the first time 1600 miles without a problem steering wheel did not lock with the key left in the ignition. I checked it a number of times and had no issues, I am very happy with my Acme dolly the braking is way better than I imagined.
Did you have to disconnect the battery? I noticed if I put the key in the ignition and turn it one click foward just the clock and outside temp lights up, would it be ok if that is just on or will that drain the battery?
__________________
Wingrydr57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:16 AM   #7
Member
 
Wingrydr57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingrydr57 View Post
Did you have to disconnect the battery? I noticed if I put the key in the ignition and turn it one click foward just the clock and outside temp lights up, would it be ok if that is just on or will that drain the battery?
Never mind, I just got an Email from ACME daaaa they said to put key in ignition , turn it to acc then back off leaving key in ignition and that keeps the stearing unlocked, I just tryed it and it works! Thanks everyone!
__________________
Wingrydr57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:07 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
lllkrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
That will not work on a Hyundai. The steering wheel is unlocked in the ACC and ON key positions only. In the ACC position there is still a power draw, even if the radio display is turned off. I'd have a switch installed on the negative battery cable or terminal.

However, if towing on a dolly with the front wheels off the ground and the rear wheels on the ground, wouldn't one just leave the ignition OFF?

Actually It does work just as I have described. Nearly ALL Asian imports built since 2009 have operated this way.
__________________
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD V6
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:03 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
papaw.1's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ALABAMA
Posts: 568
papaw.1

Hi All,
I have a 2013 Elantra GT and it does not have the locking steering wheel but,I do tow it with a Mastertow Tow Dolly.I keep a close eye on the straps and I also keep my rear camera on at all times.Be safe and take care.
__________________
Billy & Millie (2013 Allegro 36 LA) USMC VET
2013 Hyundai GT, 08 Harley trike
Mastertow dolly/doxies Gracie & Special
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:12 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
jackfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Actually It does work just as I have described. Nearly ALL Asian imports built since 2009 have operated this way.
I guess I haven't tried it as there is no "OFF" position for the key on my 2012 Accent, just "LOCK". I will try moving the key from ACC back to LOCK, leave the key in and see if the steering wheel remains unlocked. I currently leave it in the ACC position and can turn the display off. However, there are still draws on the battery so I installed a charge line from the motorhome. But I flat tow.

Thank You.

EDIT:

Yep, tried it and the steering wheel does not lock until the key is removed. I will have to continue to use the ACC position as the Patriot braking system draws its power from the 12VDC plug in which only has juice when the key is in the ACC or ON position.

Thanks again.
__________________

__________________
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery, battery disconnect



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
disconnect battery to change Maxi fuses? bobbystand Damon 2 10-28-2014 10:33 PM
Battery disconnect Aquaman RV Systems & Appliances 2 10-13-2014 01:09 PM
Battery Disconnect Switch on '01 Journey kb9adw Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 6 07-27-2014 11:54 AM
Battery Disconnect switch eglhvn1 Class A Motorhome Discussions 4 01-03-2014 09:09 PM
Bounder: Battery disconnect knoby129 Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 21 11-28-2013 10:00 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.