Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:00 AM   #1

Battery disconnect for 2014 Hyundai Elantra

Hello all, we have a 2014 Hyundai Elantra and want to tow it behind a mh with a ACME tow dolly. We are new to all this so my question is is if I have to unlock the steering wheel would I have to disconnect the battery? I assume the negative cable? And has anyone towed an Elantra before? We just bought it we traded our Toyota rav4 because we couldn't tow that unless on a full size car trailer and I didn't want to deal with the big trailer. Thanks to all for your help!

Clear skies, Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2015, 11:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingrydr57 View Post
Hello all, we have a 2014 Hyundai Elantra and want to tow it behind a mh with a ACME tow dolly. We are new to all this so my question is is if I have to unlock the steering wheel would I have to disconnect the battery? I assume the negative cable? And has anyone towed an Elantra before? We just bought it we traded our Toyota rav4 because we couldn't tow that unless on a full size car trailer and I didn't want to deal with the big trailer. Thanks to all for your help!

Clear skies, Steve
Instead of disconnecting the battery try this:

1) Insert key into ignition

2) Turn key to ON position

3) Turn key to OFF position

4) DONOT remove key from ignition

5) Move steering wheel back and forth

Steering wheel should remain unlocked as long as key remains in ignition. When key is removed steering wheel will then lock when moved.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Instead of disconnecting the battery try this:

1) Insert key into ignition

2) Turn key to ON position

3) Turn key to OFF position

4) DONOT remove key from ignition

5) Move steering wheel back and forth

Steering wheel should remain unlocked as long as key remains in ignition. When key is removed steering wheel will then lock when moved.
That will not work on a Hyundai. The steering wheel is unlocked in the ACC and ON key positions only. In the ACC position there is still a power draw, even if the radio display is turned off. I'd have a switch installed on the negative battery cable or terminal.

However, if towing on a dolly with the front wheels off the ground and the rear wheels on the ground, wouldn't one just leave the ignition OFF?
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
That will not work on a Hyundai. The steering wheel is unlocked in the ACC and ON key positions only. In the ACC position there is still a power draw, even if the radio display is turned off. I'd have a switch installed on the negative battery cable or terminal.

However, if towing on a dolly with the front wheels off the ground and the rear wheels on the ground, wouldn't one just leave the ignition OFF?
The ACME tow dolly dosent pivot in turns it turns the steering on the car itself. I will look for a switch for the neg. battery. Thanks for your post!
Old 02-14-2015, 08:00 PM   #5

I have a 2014 Elantra and a Acme tow dolly I towed mine for the first time 1600 miles without a problem steering wheel did not lock with the key left in the ignition. I checked it a number of times and had no issues, I am very happy with my Acme dolly the braking is way better than I imagined.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldnew View Post
I have a 2014 Elantra and a Acme tow dolly I towed mine for the first time 1600 miles without a problem steering wheel did not lock with the key left in the ignition. I checked it a number of times and had no issues, I am very happy with my Acme dolly the braking is way better than I imagined.
Did you have to disconnect the battery? I noticed if I put the key in the ignition and turn it one click foward just the clock and outside temp lights up, would it be ok if that is just on or will that drain the battery?
Old 02-15-2015, 11:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingrydr57 View Post
Did you have to disconnect the battery? I noticed if I put the key in the ignition and turn it one click foward just the clock and outside temp lights up, would it be ok if that is just on or will that drain the battery?
Never mind, I just got an Email from ACME daaaa they said to put key in ignition , turn it to acc then back off leaving key in ignition and that keeps the stearing unlocked, I just tryed it and it works! Thanks everyone!
Old 02-15-2015, 07:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post

Actually It does work just as I have described. Nearly ALL Asian imports built since 2009 have operated this way.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:03 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi All,
I have a 2013 Elantra GT and it does not have the locking steering wheel but,I do tow it with a Mastertow Tow Dolly.I keep a close eye on the straps and I also keep my rear camera on at all times.Be safe and take care.
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Actually It does work just as I have described. Nearly ALL Asian imports built since 2009 have operated this way.
I guess I haven't tried it as there is no "OFF" position for the key on my 2012 Accent, just "LOCK". I will try moving the key from ACC back to LOCK, leave the key in and see if the steering wheel remains unlocked. I currently leave it in the ACC position and can turn the display off. However, there are still draws on the battery so I installed a charge line from the motorhome. But I flat tow.

Thank You.

EDIT:

Yep, tried it and the steering wheel does not lock until the key is removed. I will have to continue to use the ACC position as the Patriot braking system draws its power from the 12VDC plug in which only has juice when the key is in the ACC or ON position.

Thanks again.

2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect