Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2010, 11:26 PM   #1

battery drain towing an Chevy HHR

Hello Everyone, Has anyone, towing a Chevy HHR, had problems keeping their battery charged during travel. I do everything the owners manuel says including pulling fuse number 8. Thanks for your help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2010, 01:10 AM   #2

Tow a 2010 HHR behind my 2005 38 Alpine Coach. Instead of removing the fuse, I installed a rocker switch that I can use to disconnect the power. As soon as I hit the switch the dash lights and key in the ignition bell stop working. Did you mistakenly leave the overhead light on. There are a few things that continue to draw even when off (clock, and some computer functions) but they don't draw enough to drain a battery till a couple of months go bye. Could be your battery is bad or you are not pulling the right fuse.
happycamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #3

Fuses and towing instructions differ among GM products but in new fuses boxes, fuse 32 kills the instrument cluster. I had the same problem with my 2010 Silverado until I figured out you dont need to leave the key on for the steering wheel to turn freely. Accordingly, the "on" position must draw a lot of power so if you must leave the key on, then disconnecting your battery [via a manual switch] is your best bet.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #4

Are you using an aux. brake that is using power? If you are using a 6 wire adapter from the coach to the HHR you can run a wire from the center post on the adapter to the pos. post under the hood to charge the battery from the coach.
jetfromtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:58 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I did as jet mentions. I ran a #10 stranded wire from the coach battery to a 30 amp self-resetting circuit breaker then to the umbilical. At the toad I have the exact same setup (breaker and #10). Be sure the toad is grounded through the umbilical and you'll never have another dead battery.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
FWIW, we use the same setup, as described by Jet, on our Wrangler when towing it.
I realize its not an HHR but the setup works great.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I know of several folks towing an HHR and removing the #8 fuse is all that is required. I'm thinking you have something, e.g. the toad brake or an accessory device, added to the vehicle that is draining the battery.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #8

Something doesn't sound right. I used the switch and a toad brake with no problems.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #9

I also had a problem with the battery dying in our HHR while towing. After this happened a couple times, I took it into the dealer and they confirmed the battery was bad and replaced it. Since then (over a year), we have towed all over and have had no further problem. I would test the battery and make sure it is up to snuff. I also made and installed a switch for the fuse which works great (see Fulltime RVing With Rick and Orinda: A New Tow Car -- Installing the Bracket and lights) .

2020 Fleetwood Discovery 40M
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:24 PM   #10

Same problem here... but I have a Saturn. The last trip resulted in the battery being totally dead. Worse yet, with the Saturn, if the battery is dead, when the car is in park, you cannot take it out of park to put it in neutral (or any other gear). I'm thinking just to disconnect the negative, wrap in a rubber glove and go.
Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
mbl cndo What year Saturn do u have.I have 08 vue. I had afew dead battery issues,now pull fuse less hassle than unhoking cable imarked it with red paint I can give u fuse info if same yr others ??????

Joe(Ka6bud)
ka6bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #12

I tow a 06 hhr and one time i had key on to far u well know this if the lights are on outside.i hope this helps.
crbenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Larry B.,
I threw some $s at this problem and it went away. Go to TOAD-CHARGE Dinghy Vehicle Battery Charger/Maintainer and read about the product. It is an easy install. It works as advertised and I would make the same purchase again. If I can buy my way out of a problem for $125 buy golly I'm first in line.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka6bud View Post
mbl cndo What year Saturn do u have.I have 08 vue. I had afew dead battery issues,now pull fuse less hassle than unhoking cable imarked it with red paint I can give u fuse info if same yr others ??????

Joe(Ka6bud)
2004 LW300. I have been pulling 3 fuses, but it still runs the battery down.
Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote