Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
Battery Maintainer (brake buddy) Hookup question

I am hooking up a new tow car and decided to try the Brake Buddy Battery Maintainer and hooked it up according to instructions -- all you do is connect the aux. power source from the coach to the maintainer and then the maintainer to the positive terminal on the tow car. However, there is no connection to the negative battery or ground on the car. So, I was curious how the negative connection was made -- I assume it is connected through the tow bar when the car is physically connected to the coach.

Have any of you used one of these? Does it work well for you? I appreciate any information.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Does it get the ground through the lighting connector?

04 Horizon QD, 12 Ford Flex, Excalibar, Brake-Pro, ,, Winter Texan, RVin! since 1974
Norm, Donna & Tinker Kat 74 MGB-GT, 75 MGB, 01 Z3
Life is a Timed Event, you only get One Go Around!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
I installed separate lights in the tow car and the ground through the coach wiring connector is connected directly to these lights on the tow car. The ground from the coach is not connected to the tow car itself. However, when the car is connected to the coach with the tow bar, I believe the tow bar will serve as a ground according to the Brake Buddy folks I just spoke to. Still not quite clear on this, but hope it works!

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would connect that ground wire to the toed chassis as a precaution!

2004 Monaco Monarch
Blueox, SMI, 1990 Wrangler YJ
mfire1339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They are relying on the hitch/tow bar to provide the ground return.. I recommend an aux ground return, 10ga sounds about right.. but then I'm paranoid about that kind of thing.

or if you have tow lightes via a diode kit the ground return there (Which I would like to see upgraded) is the path.

If you use magnetic tow lights or "Add-a-bulb" that may not be the case.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote