Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2017, 07:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang37 View Post
My 7 pin connector / cable from the motorhome to the toad has a pin that is not use and has 12 volts on it from the coach battery. It has 12 volts only when the key is on. Could this be use to keep the toad battery charged? A fuse(s) should be installled in case something shorts out.
That is exactly what I did. That (pin #4) on the Freightliner chassis plug supplies coach battery current when towing. I placed a 20 amp fuse at the CR-V end of the wire just incase the wire should become shorted while not connected to the coach. No need for a diode. I never understood the need for an upgraded Honda CR-V battery.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2017, 08:08 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't understand why you would want to change out a battery that is perfectly good when all that is required is to connect the 12 volt outlet on the motor home to a 10 amp circuit breaker on the CRV connected to the + terminal on the battery. Let the motor home keep the CRV battery charged. Problem solved!

Have towed our CRV for 4 years with no problems.

burfurd
Old 04-03-2017, 12:22 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I tried pulling the fuse but besides being a pain, for anyone using a Brake Buddy or Patriot, pulling the fuse is not an option since these devices require aux power to operate. Pulling the fuse disconnects the Aux Power Plugs.
It's a matter of time before you will experience a dead battery issue with your CRV. When you do, save this thread and go for a real battery to replace the OEM toy battery.
Dennis: We don't have a Brake Buddy or other braking system on our '14 Honda CRV EX AWD (automatic). I will be replacing the small OEM battery with the larger one you recommend. Once this is done, can I reinstall the #19 ACC/RADIO fuse and be assured we won't have any more dead battery issues when towing? The fuse IS a real pain to locate and mess with.

Will I still need a charging line from MH to Honda? What exactly is that, where do you get one and get it installed, if needed? Is this something a Honda dealer would do, if it's needed? Is this line different, or in addition to, the Blue Ox Aventa tow hitch set up we use?

We had a fuse bypass switch installed already when hitch and tow bracket were instalked, but it's apparently not working correctly or at all. The red and green working/not working indicator lights do not light up.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by l.e.warren View Post
I have not looked yet, but if you scroll up, Dennis45 has posted pictures of a group 24 battery that he installed with the Odyssey tray.
meant2shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by meant2shop View Post
Dennis: We don't have a Brake Buddy or other braking system on our '14 Honda CRV EX AWD (automatic). I will be replacing the small OEM battery with the larger one you recommend. Once this is done, can I reinstall the #19 ACC/RADIO fuse and be assured we won't have any more dead battery issues when towing? The fuse IS a real pain to locate and mess with.

Will I still need a charging line from MH to Honda? What exactly is that, where do you get one and get it installed, if needed? Is this something a Honda dealer would do, if it's needed? Is this line different, or in addition to, the Blue Ox Aventa tow hitch set up we use?

We had a fuse bypass switch installed already when hitch and tow bracket were instalked, but it's apparently not working correctly or at all. The red and green working/not working indicator lights do not light up.

Thanks
Since you don't have nav etc, you may not need the charge line if you don't do long trips without unhooking.
But, any hitch shop can add it if you require.
It is a wire that runs from the coach battery, thru a fuse and into the 7 pin connector. Thru the connector to another fuse at the connection to the positive side of the toad battery. It uses an existing wire in the umbilical cord. If you look at my photo of the battery you will see the yellow wire which is the charge line with fuse.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:05 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dennis: After inspection this morning, we DO have an RV Toad Charger installed in the engine near the OEM battery (I thought this was a fuse bypass switch, which we'd asked for, but that's not what it says on the black box connected to our battery.) The charger has a red and green light to indicate whether it's charging/working.

When we had our Honda hooked up to tow behind MH and had to towed it Les Schwab to have the battery tested (after it was dead and had it charged), we checked the charger and noticed that neither the red or green light was lit, even though our Honda brake lights and turn signals worked in concert with the MH's.

We're In San Diego CA rt now; our last day here. I located an in stock Group 24 battery at local Honda Dealer and also at Interstate Batteries store (did you get the 5 or 6 yr battery?), but can't find the Odyssey tray/brackets you refer to.
Interstate doesn't carry those. The local Honda dealer could order these, but we're leaving tomorrow AM for Yuma AZ for a rally. Also tried Napa Auto Parts - they couldn't find it using your part nos. Did you get the brackets from a Honda dealer?

Thank you
Old 04-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Dennis: After inspection this morning, we DO have an RV Toad Charger installed in the engine near the OEM battery (I thought this was a fuse bypass switch, which we'd asked for, but that's not what it says on the black box connected to our battery.) The charger has a red and green light to indicate whether it's charging/working.

When we had our Honda hooked up to tow behind MH and had to towed it Les Schwab to have the battery tested (after it was dead and had it charged), we checked the charger and noticed that neither the red or green light was lit, even though our Honda brake lights and turn signals worked in concert with the MH's.

We're In San Diego CA rt now; our last day here. I located an in stock Group 24 battery at local Honda Dealer and also at Interstate Batteries store (did you get the 5 or 6 yr battery?), but can't find the Odyssey tray/brackets you refer to.
Interstate doesn't carry those. The local Honda dealer could order these, but we're leaving tomorrow AM for Yuma AZ for a rally. Also tried Napa Auto Parts - they couldn't find it using your part nos. Did you get the brackets from a Honda dealer?

Thank you
Best bet for the battery is Interstate, in my opinion. The battery tray is available only from Honda. No other parts are required. The original hold down bracket will fit the new battery.
If you need to replace the battery immediately, I think you should be able to just remove the existing tray, set the new battery in temporarily without the tray and put the new tray in when you get to your next destination. Perhaps just a piece of cardboard for it to set on until you get the parts from Honda.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:06 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The '14 CR-V I bought a few months ago from a member here had the charge line installed, but I didn't like the small garden tractor battery so I got a battery tray for an '05 Ody and a bigger battery from Costco. Now I have both the charge line and bigger battery.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:48 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ok. Did you get what Interstate Batteries referred to me as the 6 yr "super duty" battery or the 5 yr? 6 yr price quoted is $147.95; 5 yr is $127.95. Honda quoted me $139.29, but I don't know if that price is a 5 or 6 yr battery (suspect it's a 5 yr since it's a Honda dlr).

But bigger question is - if our VET (RVI ?) Tow charger isn't indicating either the red or green light when toad is hooked up to MH. Does this mean we STILL can't put the #19 ACC/RADIO fuse we removed back into the Honda?
Old 04-03-2017, 02:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Ok. Did you get what Interstate Batteries referred to me as the 6 yr "super duty" battery or the 5 yr? 6 yr price quoted is $147.95; 5 yr is $127.95. Honda quoted me $139.29, but I don't know if that price is a 5 or 6 yr battery (suspect it's a 5 yr since it's a Honda dlr).

But bigger question is - if our VET (RVI ?) Tow charger isn't indicating either the red or green light when toad is hooked up to MH. Does this mean we STILL can't put the #19 ACC/RADIO fuse we removed back into the Honda?

5 yr, 6 yr, your choice. Just get a group 24 battery that is at least 850 CCA, minimum.

As for the charger, I am not familiar with this device but perhaps it has an internal fuse that has blown during your battery issues. Do you have the operator manual for it.
Whether it is working or not has no relation to your #19 fuse. Go ahead and install the fuse. You will not have to remove this fuse any longer.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:38 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
No operator manual for the charger, but will check for one on line. Leaving this AM for a Rally in Yuma AZ. Will purchase the larger battery and brackets either there or next stop, Tucson, and get fuse installed. Thanks for taking the time to answer my many questions. Will provide update when all is purchased and installed.
Fingers crossed no further issues when all completed.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:43 AM   #25

Quote:
No operator manual for the charger, but will check for one on line. Leaving this AM for a Rally in Yuma AZ. Will purchase the larger battery and brackets either there or next stop, Tucson, and get fuse installed. Thanks for taking the time to answer my many questions. Will provide update when all is purchased and installed.
Fingers crossed no further issues when all completed.
Happy Trails and keep the Shiny Side Up. [emoji1]
Old 04-06-2017, 07:18 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
To answer your question as you asked, you want to install a group 24 battery having at least a 850 CCA (cold cranking amps) rating . You will need to go to a Honda dealer and purchase a battery tray for a Honda Odyssey about $25. Once installed you should be able to tow all day and still easily start the car at the end of the day to recharge the battery.
Will I still need the tow charge line discussed in this thread if I upgrade the battery to 850 CCA??

We had a RVI Battery Tow Charger installed, but it doesn't appear to be working. No red or green indicator light lights up on it as it should.

Had to have the #19 ACC fuse in our '14 Honda CRV EX AWD pulled to avoid having a dead battery again, when we tow it with everything off in the Honda. We don't have Nav or a braking system either.

We're on a long road trip and want to get this issue resolved asap. With fuse pulled, which is very difficult for either of us to put back in, no radio, no auto phone answering/dialing, and most importantly no way to keep smartphone charged...

So is tow charge line still needed with bigger battery installed?
Old 04-06-2017, 07:45 AM   #27

Quote:
Will I still need the tow charge line discussed in this thread if I upgrade the battery to 850 CCA??

We had a RVI Battery Tow Charger installed, but it doesn't appear to be working. No red or green indicator light lights up on it as it should.

Had to have the #19 ACC fuse in our '14 Honda CRV EX AWD pulled to avoid having a dead battery again, when we tow it with everything off in the Honda. We don't have Nav or a braking system either.

We're on a long road trip and want to get this issue resolved asap. With fuse pulled, which is very difficult for either of us to put back in, no radio, no auto phone answering/dialing, and most importantly no way to keep smartphone charged...

So is tow charge line still needed with bigger battery installed?
There is No Need to remove that fuse with your new battery. Is your RVI Charger connected to the battery? The Blue to the Positive post and the Yellow to the Negative post.
Did you check the voltage input from the coach? If there is voltage to the input side of the RVI it should work. If not, the unit is bad or there is no input from the coach battery connected through the umbilical cord.
I your not sure how to check this, simply disconnect the wire from the positive post and wrap some tape to insulate it. Leave it disconnected until you arrive at your next destination and have a tech check it out for you.
During your trip, you might just stop for a few minutes every 3-4 hours and run the engine on the toad to keep the battery topped up. With a new larger battery you should be just fine.
Why not plug your phone charger into the coach? I don't understand why it has to be in the car?
Old 04-06-2017, 08:03 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, the RVI Tow Battery Charger is connected to the Honda battery.

Who would be best to check out the voltage input from the coach to the RVI - a Hitch place? We have a few more days in Yuma.

I do charge my phone in the MH - but depending on how long we're away from the MH sightseeing, doing internet searches for restaurants, points of interest, using Google Maps for directions, etc., talking on the phone, my phone battery can drain down pretty fast. I want to know I have a working Smartphone when I'm away from MH, esp in case of a breakdown or accident.

So I DO still need a tow charge line (or a working RVI TOW BATTERY CHARGER) even with the larger battery, but don't have to remove the #19 fuse, correct?

Thanks

Tags
battery, tow, towing, upgrade