Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2017, 08:50 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by meant2shop View Post
Yes, the RVI Tow Battery Charger is connected to the Honda battery.

Who would be best to check out the voltage input from the coach to the RVI - a Hitch place? We have a few more days in Yuma.

I do charge my phone in the MH - but depending on how long we're away from the MH sightseeing, doing internet searches for restaurants, points of interest, using Google Maps for directions, etc., talking on the phone, my phone battery can drain down pretty fast. I want to know I have a working Smartphone when I'm away from MH, esp in case of a breakdown or accident.

So I DO still need a tow charge line (or a working RVI TOW BATTERY CHARGER) even with the larger battery, but don't have to remove the #19 fuse, correct?

Thanks
Sorry, I misunderstood your post. I thought you were charging your phone in the car while towing.

As for the RVI, since you have it installed by all means take the car to a hitch shop and get it working. I'm sure it's something simple. The shop may require the motorhome to be connected to check for power if everything checks out from the RVI to the umbilical plug. Could be a blown fuse on the coach end in which case there will be no power to the toad. Do you have anyone who might be able to locate the fuse?

Absolutley No Reason to Ever Have to remove the fuse again once you have replaced the battery. Your dead battery problems are ancient history.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2017, 09:02 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
If the Honda turn signals and brakes work in concert with the MH's, when the Honda is hooked up to the motorhome, doesn't that indicate we DO have power to the toad from the MH?
meant2shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:10 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Where would the potentially blown fuse on the coach end be located?
Old 04-06-2017, 09:12 AM   #32

Quote:
If the Honda turn signals and brakes work in concert with the MH's, when the Honda is hooked up to the motorhome, doesn't that indicate we DO have power to the toad from the MH?
No, the charge line ( power source for the RVI ) is a totally separate circuit. There should be a fuse on the coach for this wire that feeds power from the coach battery to the umbilical plug on the coach. From there the power goes through the umbilical cord to the toad.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:14 AM   #33

I can't be specific with the location of the fuse other than to say it's between the umbilical plug and the coach battery.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:43 AM   #34

RVI3 Brake + Custer Wireless Brake Lights

Appreciate input from anyone.

2014 CRV with Navi. Will upgrade to grp 24 with 850 cca battery based on dennis45's info there should be enough battery juice to run the RVInbrake and accessories.

Plan on using a RVI3 brake and Custer wireless brake light set. Reason is I don't want to have to hook up a bunch of stuff other than the break away cables and emergency brakaway lanyard. The hassle of installing related wiring and brake interrupter switches is more than I care to take on.

What else do I need to install to tow? With the larger battery I don't need the fuse switch kit installed or charge line, but what about brake lights being activitated by the RVI3 brake? Do I need a brake light interruptor kit installed, or do I just let the RVI3 brake activate the brake lights along with the Custer brake lights and not worry?

Thank you.
MarkK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
We also have a a 2014 CRV EX, but no Navigation or brake sys (for now).
Can't answer your question, but to confirm - once we upgrade to Grp 24 battery, we will not need a tow battery charger hooked to battery, no fuse bypass switch needed, and we can reinstall the ##19 ACC/RADIO FUSE we pulled?
When we tow the CRV we would still go through the same steps in owner's manual to prepare to tow, with the exception of pulling the #19 fuse, correct?
Thanks
Old 04-08-2017, 01:26 PM   #36

From everything I have read that sounds about right. The lack of brake system puts you in an interesting position though.
MarkK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:55 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
UPDATE - Finally was able to get our dead battery, #19 ACC/RADIO FUSE, and Tow Battery Charger issued fixed today in Tucson AZ. When the Tow Battery Charger was installed in our hometown, along with our Blue Ox Tow hitch and bracket, the charge line from our '06 Pace Arrow 37C to our 2014 Honda CR-V EX wasn't, for some unk reason. That's why the tow battery charger wasn't working.

Had a 35' charging line run from MH to Honda today, and wa la! The Tow Battery Charger indicates it's working properly. Had the #19 FUSE reinstalled and so far so good.
Prior to doing this, we seriously considered getting a larger, stronger battery; a solution that HAS worked for some in this forum. But two diff Tucson Honda dealer Parts Dept guys said the Grp 24 850 CCA battery and Odyssey battery tray would absolutely not fit in the 2014 Honda. Plus, they wouldn't honor the 60 month battery warranty because of this.
So we went with the Tow Charge line, along the already installed RVI tow battery charger. Also had pesky #19 fuse reinstalled.
So far everything is working properly.

Many thanks for all recommendations received.

Jim and Susan
Old 04-12-2017, 11:08 PM   #38

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
UPDATE - Finally was able to get our dead battery, #19 ACC/RADIO FUSE, and Tow Battery Charger issued fixed today in Tucson AZ. When the Tow Battery Charger was installed in our hometown, along with our Blue Ox Tow hitch and bracket, the charge line from our '06 Pace Arrow 37C to our 2014 Honda CR-V EX wasn't, for some unk reason. That's why the tow battery charger wasn't working.

Had a 35' charging line run from MH to Honda today, and wa la! The Tow Battery Charger indicates it's working properly. Had the #19 FUSE reinstalled and so far so good.
Prior to doing this, we seriously considered getting a larger, stronger battery; a solution that HAS worked for some in this forum. But two diff Tucson Honda dealer Parts Dept guys said the Grp 24 850 CCA battery and Odyssey battery tray would absolutely not fit in the 2014 Honda. Plus, they wouldn't honor the 60 month battery warranty because of this.
So we went with the Tow Charge line, along the already installed RVI tow battery charger. Also had pesky #19 fuse reinstalled.

Jim and Susan
Susan
I guarantee the larger battery box and battery will fit in 2014 CR-V as I did it with Lloyd and Lorrains CR-V I bought from them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:19 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm not saying it won't fit just relaying what I was told. Didn't feel like getting the replacement battery w/o the warranty. Plus both had to be ordered and we didn't have the time to wait for them to arrive. As I say, whatever floats your boat (and works).
Old 04-12-2017, 11:57 PM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
RVI Towed Battery Charger

If the RVI towed battery Charger is working properly, it should not be necessary to upgrade the battery in a towed vehicle. It can provide up to 15A. This is more than enough to keep the battery charged and run any braking system.

I used this product on my Toyota Tacoma.

Regards, Jerry
Old 04-13-2017, 06:04 AM   #41

I have a 2014 CRV EX with a 440 cca battery. I installed the RVI battery charger this winter while in Arizona. I drove 2,500 miles back to Canada and did not have a problem with a dead battery. I have a brake buddy and I plug it into the 12v acc. plug and drove away. When driving to Arizona in the fall without the battery charger the battery did go dead and needed a boost. I did need to install a charge line to my 2010 Hurricane with a 20 amp fuse.
norml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:29 AM   #42

Quote:

Jim and Susan
Thanks for the update Jim
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, tow, towing, upgrade