Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2017, 07:11 AM   #1

Battery upgrade for towing a CRV

I have read in a previous forum that some of you who tow a Honda CRV have upgraded their battery to avoid draining the factory one.
Which one did you choose and what was the battery holder you used.
I will be travelling 4000 km this June and don't want to hook up a charger.
Thanks for your replies.
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2017, 07:21 AM   #2

Check out RVI products. Their website has videos on installing the device. This is their website https://rvibrake.com/pages/meet-the-product-videos
Jeff24g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:46 AM   #3

X2 on rvi, have all there products and all work great. I tow a Honda Civic with the rvi battery charger ( not really a charger, more of a limiter and diode) and never have a battery problem.
Petersr58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:02 AM   #4

To answer your question as you asked, you want to install a group 24 battery having at least a 850 CCA (cold cranking amps) rating . You will need to go to a Honda dealer and purchase a battery tray for a Honda Odyssey about $25. Once installed you should be able to tow all day and still easily start the car at the end of the day to recharge the battery.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:14 AM   #5

thanks for your help. I am familiar with the rvi products as I am using their rvi2 brake. llkrob, I think you have answered my question. It was the Odyssey tray I was trying to remember. I will check with my Honda dealer tomorrow. Thanks again.
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachguy View Post
thanks for your help. I am familiar with the rvi products as I am using their rvi2 brake. llkrob, I think you have answered my question. It was the Odyssey tray I was trying to remember. I will check with my Honda dealer tomorrow. Thanks again.
It is a two piece battery tray for an Odessy. Here are the P/N's

Upper, 31531-TK8-A00

Lower, 31521-TK8-A00

I went with a group 24 Eliminator AGM from Can Tire rated at 850 CCA. The OEM holdown fits like it was made for the job. Right, same battery used in the frozen truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0554.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	154556   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0555.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	365.1 KB
ID:	154559  

Old 03-12-2017, 11:09 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been towing our 2014 CR V without any charger, but I discontent fuse (switched) so that there is no or little drain on CRV batteries. 9k miles so far. No issues. This summer will be another 10k miles. I will keep you posted.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighMobious View Post
I have been towing our 2014 CR V without any charger, but I discontent fuse (switched) so that there is no or little drain on CRV batteries. 9k miles so far. No issues. This summer will be another 10k miles. I will keep you posted.
I tried pulling the fuse but besides being a pain, for anyone using a Brake Buddy or Patriot, pulling the fuse is not an option since these devices require aux power to operate. Pulling the fuse disconnects the Aux Power Plugs.
It's a matter of time before you will experience a dead battery issue with your CRV. When you do, save this thread and go for a real battery to replace the OEM toy battery.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:00 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 7 pin connector / cable from the motorhome to the toad has a pin that is not use and has 12 volts on it from the coach battery. It has 12 volts only when the key is on. Could this be use to keep the toad battery charged? A fuse(s) should be installled in case something shorts out.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:45 AM   #10

I am preparing a 2013 Honda CRV for towing and found this thread. Based on comments here, I am going to add the purchase of the Honda Odyssey tray and Group 24 850 CCA battery to my setup. (Blue Ox Alpha tow bar, Blue Ox break away switch, Blue Ox Bulb taillight kit and Blue Ox Patriot braking system).

Can I plug the Patriot braking system into the existing, ignition switched DC outlet in the car, or do I have to install a dedicated DC plug from the battery?
l.e.warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.e.warren View Post
I am preparing a 2013 Honda CRV for towing and found this thread. Based on comments here, I am going to add the purchase of the Honda Odyssey tray and Group 24 850 CCA battery to my setup. (Blue Ox Alpha tow bar, Blue Ox break away switch, Blue Ox Bulb taillight kit and Blue Ox Patriot braking system).

Can I plug the Patriot braking system into the existing, ignition switched DC outlet in the car, or do I have to install a dedicated DC plug from the battery?
No need to pull any fuses so your Aux Plug on the dash stays live with the ignition in the Aux position per your Honda manual set up? Just plug in there.
No other mods required....
Old 03-24-2017, 07:30 PM   #12

GRP 24 Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.e.warren View Post

I eyeballed, and measured the battery area on mine. Not sure all grp 24's will fit as most have the pos/neg on the wrong ends and the Motomaster Eliminator is a Canadian manufacturer. Max dimensions appear to be 10L X 7W X 8H. What are you going with? I found an Optima grp 35 with dimensions of 6.82 x 9.32 x 7.63 in.
MarkK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:06 PM   #13

I have not looked yet, but if you scroll up, Dennis45 has posted pictures of a group 24 battery that he installed with the Odyssey tray.
l.e.warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:00 AM   #14

Yea, that was the Canadian battery.
MarkK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, tow, towing, upgrade