Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2016, 07:47 PM   #1

Be aware of toll over charges when towing

I am one of Florida's toll road Sunpass users. This is the decal that you put on your windshield that deducts tolls from a prepaid account and it allows you to bypass the toll booths. I have one of these decals on both my motor home and my toad.

Just today, I was reviewing my account simply because it seemed like my credit card was replenishing my Sunpass account quite frequently and more than I expected. Sure enough, I see that between the two vehicles, I am getting billed for 6 axles. I called Sunpass and they looked at my account and agreed that I should only pay for 4 axles at each toll booth. The RF technology being used sees the motor home and toad together as a 4 axle vehicle, but it also picks up off the decal on the toad. I wonder how many people are getting ripped off and don't know it..... and this probably happens in other States that use E-Pass or Easy Pass (East coast states).

What they told me to do is to terminate the toad Sunpass while towing and re-activate it when not towing. It can be done online, but what a PITA. Now I'll likely be receiving toll violation notices on the toad.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2016, 07:56 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It sounds like you are saying you have both passes exposed when you go past the sensors? EZ Pass provides a shielded envelope to store the toad pass in when in the towed mode.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I use the SunPass bar vs the stickers. It let's me move it from toad to RV when towing and then back. Eliminates the chance of being double charged. Just add both license plates numbers to your account.

Bar costs more at $20 vs stickers at $5.00 but I can use it in any vehicle just by adding the license plate to my account.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:06 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Maybe tape cardboard over the sticker or aluminium foil . Then the scanner can't see the sticker .
Old 10-11-2016, 08:15 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Mine did this on the Florida Turnpike two weeks ago, six axles instead of four. I only have the one portable Sunpass, so it only has that one to read. I sent an email since I discovered it on a weekend. Today I received an email saying they would refer it to the appropriate department. Since it obviously is happening to several people, we better be on the watch.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by phranc View Post
Maybe tape cardboard over the sticker or aluminium foil . Then the scanner can't see the sticker .
Aluminum foil taped over the decal on the outside of the windshield might work.... and yes, this is the non-removable version that they were pushing a few years ago. I used to have the transferable electronic unit but it broke after a couple of years and I started getting violation notices. It is also expensive to replace these units. So far, the decal has been reliable.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:22 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
D'oh!. Two Sunpasses equal wrong calculation of tolls. Remove the one on the toad.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:33 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I set up my plate for Sunpass on the RV. Within a couple days of that, I went through a boothless toll. About 2-3 weeks later, I got a ticket for non-payment. I just assumed that I hadn't set it up beforehand, but when I checked the dates, I realized they screwed up. On top of that, my RV is a 2-axle, but they charged me for 3-axle. Makes me nervous for future tolls. Although, I'm not rolling over since I KNOW that I'm officially signed up. Like you said, however, I wonder how many people miss it. Or, how many people, like me, decide to just pay it so as to avoid the hassle. All I know, is that I will put up with the hassle of calling them til they get this right.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:12 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I sent in the eform to let them know about their mistake. I received an automated response that they would investigate. Three weeks later I still am waiting. I called this week and they said it was through the investigation phase and was headed for a refund, should take one to three weeks.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:25 PM   #10

Don't know how Florida counts axles but if you have duel wheels as MHs have, on the toll ways from IL to NY they count that as two axles. making a total of three for the MH. I complained but still ended up paying.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:21 PM   #11

If sticker is affixed to TOAD will Sun Pass read it or will I have to put one on MH ?
Major96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:26 PM   #12

If you just have a sticker on the toad, it will be read and you will be charged for 2 axles. However, the motor home will not be recorded and you will likely get billed under the toll-by-plate method which costs more.

Tags
towing, tow