Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Be very,very careful when hooking up...

I am always very anal when hooking up and putting the toad,'04 Trailblazer,into neutral position. I have a checklist that I follow,had it laminated even,for everything hooking up and then putting the tranny in neutral tow.
Well,we just got back from a trip to Ca and had no toad problems at all. Got home and I had to take the MH into the shop to finish repairing some damage from our little fire in the back end of it.I pulled the MH up off of it's pad,pulled the toad in behind it and hooked up.Then I put the tranny in neutral and dropped the shifter into park like your s'posed to and shut her down.I then proceded down the driveway,wet and 8% grade,and headed for for the dealer.Boy,those 330 Cats sure do pull well. When I was ready to leave the dealer,I unhooked the toad and noticed it was in 4LO,hummmm.I headed for the parts dept and when I stopped in front,I put it in park and it started to roll back,Uh Oh.Sure 'nuff,it had somehow slipped back into gear and I had pulled the park pawl clear out and the pin it rides on was no-where to be found..They pulled the tranny and I got her back today with a bill of $3,000.

bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I am always very anal when hooking up and putting the toad,'04 Trailblazer,into neutral position. I have a checklist that I follow,had it laminated even,for everything hooking up and then putting the tranny in neutral tow.
Well,we just got back from a trip to Ca and had no toad problems at all. Got home and I had to take the MH into the shop to finish repairing some damage from our little fire in the back end of it.I pulled the MH up off of it's pad,pulled the toad in behind it and hooked up.Then I put the tranny in neutral and dropped the shifter into park like your s'posed to and shut her down.I then proceded down the driveway,wet and 8% grade,and headed for for the dealer.Boy,those 330 Cats sure do pull well. When I was ready to leave the dealer,I unhooked the toad and noticed it was in 4LO,hummmm.I headed for the parts dept and when I stopped in front,I put it in park and it started to roll back,Uh Oh.Sure 'nuff,it had somehow slipped back into gear and I had pulled the park pawl clear out and the pin it rides on was no-where to be found..They pulled the tranny and I got her back today with a bill of $3,000.
So sorry . . . what a nightmare. I am just as anal as putting the tow vehicle into neutral is my job. DH always asks me as we get going down the road "Is the truck in neutral?" While I KNOW it is, I generally spend about 30 minutes obsessing over it while we're driving. I'm out there checking it at our first stop every time!

Old 05-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #3

When I first pull off after the toad has been hooked up, I turn on the back-up camera mic and listen for about 15 seconds. I have caught mistakes that way, either thru hearing the tires skitter across the ground, or people screaming "Hey stop"
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We've all done it at one time or another...yours just happen to cost $3k.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Once, when we had our '03 Wrangler, I had the auto trans in "R" and the transfer case shifter in "N". I pulled it for 300 miles without doing any harm, but my eyes got big when I saw the shift lever when I went to unhook.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
The last trip we towed our 97 Sidekick I goofed up and had the transfer case in 4W high. I thought there was drag on the coach going up a hill heading out of town but the 300hp CAT just sat down on the load and pulled the car to destruction. We got about 10 miles and were flagged by a driver on the freeway that the car was bouncing around. The used engine cost $3300 and now the car is better than before. The engine had two fist size holes in the block and the mechanic said it looks like it was over revved..... "YA THINK". The old engine had 133,000 miles on it and the used one has 84,000 miles on it. This was also a good chance to seal up all the fluid leaks that had developed over the years. It just doubled the cost of the car. DUH
Now I leave the car a few feet behind hookup distance and push it forward to the tow bar. Closing the barn door after the horse is out

Dick
Old 05-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I keep thinking there should be a way to lock the transfer case in NEUTRAL. In a few years, I intend to go towed shopping, and I'll be looking at used Jeeps. and I may design a lock when it happens. There are several considerations.

One being that there is absolutely NO way to accidently lock it.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've towed our '05 Odyssey on a dolly but, after talking to several owners and seeing stories about towing them four down I decided to go back to that. I hooked up and got back in the MH, put it in gear and the rig barely moved at idle, usually it starts moving as soon as I release the brakes. Went back and fund I had left it in Park rather than neutral. Had a really hard time moving the shifter but no damage done. Had I hit the throttle I probably would have broken the parking pawl.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
In your case it would have alright to have reversed the motor home enough to release the tension on the toad transmission. However, I did the very same thing you did before I thought.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
$3000?! Really?
Old 05-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
$3000?! Really?
Yep,when they got her apart,they found a bunch of other stuff and so that was for a rebuilt,beefed up tranny and labor.Believe it or not,you can feel the difference in the way the car handles.She sure rides a lot better.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Yep,when they got her apart,they found a bunch of other stuff and so that was for a rebuilt,beefed up tranny and labor.Believe it or not,you can feel the difference in the way the car handles.She sure rides a lot better.
So basically a new tranny.. Makes more sense..
Old 05-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My sequence after hooking up is to put the Saturn Vue in reverse and lock the tow bar into position. About 15 or so miles down the highway my mind clicked, "Oh darn(not my exact word)!" When DW asked "What?" I told her I think I left the car in reverse. Pulled over, went back, car was in reverse. Put the fuse in, started it, put it in neutral, turned it off and said, "What ever happens, happens." Got to our location, unhooked, started it and drove around the CG a couple times. Several months and thousands of miles later it is still running as it should.

I was very, very lucky, and thank you Saturn.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote