Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andycamper View Post
I have. 38v bounder DP an pull a 07 jeep wrangler 4. Down with automatic transfer case in neutral. Transmission in park. Key in ignition stering unlocked an I installed a main battery switch under driver seat works great.
Pulling the IOD fuse under the hood will do the same thing without loosing the radio presets and making the ECM have to re-leard your driving patterns.

Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbill View Post
Of course the surveys are from their subscriber's base...the owner's fill out surveys on what the like/dislike about their own vehicles, I fill one out every year. The numbers were generic and were based on scoring vehicles against the exact same standards. It's just that Lexus scored higher than everybody compared to the same standard...and the two Jeeps were at the bottom of the same list.

We had an 07 Wrangler...spent as much time in the shop as on the road.

Re a later post saying CU likes Japanese cars better than American cars. They probably do, I certainly do. Except for a half a dozen or so pick ups, I haven't purchased an American vehicle since the 70s. I buy the best available...although they've made progress, as noted above, American vehicles are still behind.
Members of 4 X 4 clubs laugh themselves silly when a Lexus owners shows up, they know it will be needing a tow, sooner or later, mostly sooner rather than later. Heck, my Suzuki is more reliable offroad than a Lexus.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbill View Post
Of course the surveys are from their subscriber's base...the owner's fill out surveys on what the like/dislike about their own vehicles, I fill one out every year. The numbers were generic and were based on scoring vehicles against the exact same standards. It's just that Lexus scored higher than everybody compared to the same standard...and the two Jeeps were at the bottom of the same list.

We had an 07 Wrangler...spent as much time in the shop as on the road.

Re a later post saying CU likes Japanese cars better than American cars. They probably do, I certainly do. Except for a half a dozen or so pick ups, I haven't purchased an American vehicle since the 70s. I buy the best available...although they've made progress, as noted above, American vehicles are still behind.
I guessing luck of the draw on your 07 Wrangler. Sorry to hear that.
Before Julia and I started fulltiming we both drove BMW cars. Out of the dozen or so we had owned over the years, one, a 2000 328i, was a problem child. It too spent more time in the shop than it did in our own garage. At about 90k miles and thousands in warranty work, the 328 finally settled down and became a reliable car. We later sold it for a X3 that we loved until we bought the Jeep to tow behind the coach.
One bad experiance does not a bad brand make.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One of the best cars we ever owned was a '97 Kia Sportage 4X4. Laugh all you want but that sucker went anywhere, was reliable and did not rust, even in Chicago.
It squealed like a stuck piggy on rainy days though, something to do with fan belts which never seemed to adjust properly.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used Blue OX Base plates.
Ready Brute Tow bar and Ready Brake Aux Braking.
CoolTech Wiring harness
You do not need to worry about pulling fuses or charging the battery when using my set up on a 2012. The steering doesn't lock and you don't need 12v for anything.
Leaving for outter banks (OBX) this weekend. First trip for four wheels down.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
Hooverbill, Consumer reports hates american automobile products. They love every thing made in Japan.
not to bring religion in to the discussion
but AMEN brother
brianj
Old 05-31-2012, 12:58 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Got the Jeep through Carmax, it should wherein a couple weeks. Ordered the parts today. Looking forward to being mobile during our travels.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:05 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What model? What color? 2 or 4 Door?
Old 06-01-2012, 12:16 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Safari, silver, 2door, 4x4, hard top (concession to wife), standard 6 speed.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds great. I had both tops and sold the canvas after 10 minutes on the freeway. The hard top is easy to remove and we routinely take the front sections off for semi-topples driving.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just bought a new Bounder Classic this year, and set it up for my 09 Wrangler Unlimited. Pulled for the first time last weekend from RI to Maryland and back . I had to keep looking to see if was still there, no problems at all. Just remember to release the emergency break (ha-ha), only got 2 miles down the road when I remembered.

I also own a Lexus RX350, nice vehicle but I prefer my Jeep when towing and camping.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #26
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Kevin.....I believe the Cool Tech lighting system is nice, but it requires you to drive with your lights on to power the unit. I've done the diodes on a couple of my toads, but they cause the blinkers to drop out when the brakes are applied especially with the Air Force One unit. I have the Air Force One unit and have been very satisfied with the performance. The only down side is that you can't apply the toad brakes manually if you needed to. Some of the new systems will allow this, but it hasn't been a major concern with my SMI unit.

When I was using diodes with the stock vehicle lights, the SMI unit would apply the brakes and send a signal to your tail lights. If you had a blinker going, it would override the blinker because it was getting a signal from your coach. I now just install the separate bulbs in the lense. Fast and easy and reduces some of the power that is used for operating the turn signals and can run the battery in the toad dead.

You really won't need to provide 12 volts to the toad with the SMI system because it really doesn't use any power like the in car Brake Buddy.

The only thing the SMI kit didn't come with was the corrugated wire protection/wrap. I used it on all of the electrical and I used it on the air line that you tap into the brake can. It's cheap to buy/insurance.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Kevin.....I believe the Cool Tech lighting system is nice, but it requires you to drive with your lights on to power the unit. I've done the diodes on a couple of my toads, but they cause the blinkers to drop out when the brakes are applied especially with the Air Force One unit. I have the Air Force One unit and have been very satisfied with the performance. The only down side is that you can't apply the toad brakes manually if you needed to. Some of the new systems will allow this, but it hasn't been a major concern with my SMI unit.

When I was using diodes with the stock vehicle lights, the SMI unit would apply the brakes and send a signal to your tail lights. If you had a blinker going, it would override the blinker because it was getting a signal from your coach. I now just install the separate bulbs in the lense. Fast and easy and reduces some of the power that is used for operating the turn signals and can run the battery in the toad dead.

You really won't need to provide 12 volts to the toad with the SMI system because it really doesn't use any power like the in car Brake Buddy.

The only thing the SMI kit didn't come with was the corrugated wire protection/wrap. I used it on all of the electrical and I used it on the air line that you tap into the brake can. It's cheap to buy/insurance.
My Cooltech harness doesn't require power or the lights to be left on. I did howeve,r have to remove the "M1" fuse on the Jeep while towing because the Dolphin uses the same bulb for blinking as it does for braking, which would cancel out the blinker if we came to a stop and had the brakes on. Removing the "M1" fuse on the Jeep, eliminates that problem. I think I read somewhere that the 3rd brake light on the Jeep was causing the problem.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the helpful information.

I exchanged emails with Rockhard 4x4 and found that for the Rockhard Jeep JK Wrangler Full Width Front Bumper, they make a Blue Ox bracket. It is part RH-8000-BO for 69.95. The part number for the bumper is RH-5005.

Per Rock Hard, installation of the brackets sound pretty easy: "The brackets install on the front bolts that hold the bumper on. With the Rockhard4x4 front bumper you remove the factory bumper. Place the 4 bolts with the tow brackets and 4 bolts just through the bumper. Place the spacers on the back side of the bumper and install onto the frame. Install 8 nuts and washers."

I'll be placing my order for the bumper and brackets this week.

Tags
towing