Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
We are on our fourth Jeep and you are going to love yours. We installed a US Gear Unified Tow Brake that comes with its own vacuum pump so we always have power brakes.

BTW, you will find that the few repairs needed are inexpensive.

Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2012, 11:59 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks OD. Can't wait, it should arrive in about a week.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbill View Post
My opinion was based on the facts. The Wrangler and Liberty are the lowest rated vehicles as published by a consumer group that gets its reports from driving tests as well as from owners of the vehicles in question. The highest rated vehicle was a Lexus LS 460L with a score of 99, lowest was a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited at 20, next lowest was a Jeep Liberty at 27. Contrary to your comment about problems, Jeeps have considerably more problems than other brands and it is not true that "there will always be problems with any car or truck."

I've had a jeep and will not have another. Your happy with yours, wonderful, but I'm talking facts about Jeeps in general, you are talking your one vehicle.
I wouldn't put too much stock in the opinions of Consumer Reports magazine. They've had their own reliability problems along the way. Three that come to mind are:

Rating the American Tourister a best buy - later to find out they were taking kickbacks from the company.

Rating the Renault Alliance a best buy - later they stopped making them due to reliability problems.

The most recent testing of the child seats - The test were done outside the boundaries (sometimes at twice the rated speed) yet the results were reported as adhering to all recognized testing standards.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
As riendly advice when running trails, air your tires down to around 15 pounds when you get to the trails and you will find that it makes a HUGE difference in how smooth your ride is. It won't hurt the tires and it will also give you more traction in case you need it.

I carry a CO2 bottle to air them back up if I need to do some significant highway driving after the trail. I have been doing rockcrawling and Jeep trails for over ten years now and always done my tires this way. My CO2 bottle will air up 50 tires before it has to be re-filled. Onboard air will work as well.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
There has been at least one jeep in my Family continuously since 1976 (Grand Cherokee Golden Eagle!). Usually two, sometimes three, and two years ago 5. We have towed Grand Cherokees and one Wrangler since 2002. You won't be able to get my current Cherokee Diesel off me, period. Best tow vehicle period, in my opinion and it let's you go places and see things you cannot in a car. Mine tows in "Park" with the keys out of the ignition and the doors locked; nice feature for peace of mind. If I ever do something dumb, which of course I never have, like back into a spot that was just too soft, allowing my rear wheels to sink about 6", why you'd even be able to use your Jeep to help pull you out. Or sit in your Lexus listening to tunes while you wait for the Wrecker, or the John Deere!
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
...I wouldn't put too much stock in the opinions of Consumer Reports magazine. They've had their own reliability problems along the way...
I put very little stock in some of their reports, especially when they go off on a left leaning rant that has nothing to do with consumer issues. I have written to them complaining about some of their reports, and had one published in the magazine.

However as stated earlier, the vehicle frequency of repair reports are not CU's opinions or ratings. They are obtained annually in written surveys of actual owners of the vehicles. All they do is report what they receive from us...the owners.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbill View Post
My opinion was based on the facts. The Wrangler and Liberty are the lowest rated vehicles as published by a consumer group that gets its reports from driving tests as well as from owners of the vehicles in question. The highest rated vehicle was a Lexus LS 460L with a score of 99, lowest was a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited at 20, next lowest was a Jeep Liberty at 27. Contrary to your comment about problems, Jeeps have considerably more problems than other brands and it is not true that "there will always be problems with any car or truck."

I've had a jeep and will not have another. Your happy with yours, wonderful, but I'm talking facts about Jeeps in general, you are talking your one vehicle.

Maybe they have more problems because they are driven off road more then other vehicles. The fact that parts are easier to find and cheaper just like GM products helps them too. I'd hate to try and find or pay for parts for a Lexus. I don't think I've ever even seen an after market part for a Lexus.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Picked up the new used Jeep today. Tomorrow getting it set up to tow.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:38 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Kevin.. M and G makes a nice brake system for that Jeep..
M & G Engineering - Car Braking Systems: Home Page
Old 06-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Besides all the opinions about Jeep and Consumer reports, I to, like Kevin, bought a Wrangler I wish to tow behind my Fleetwood and need to configure it. undecided the best way to to and which equipment. Opinions and thoughts/facts from thoughts with experience would be greatly appreciated before I go out a buy something stupid. Thanks much.
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #39

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I went with Ready Brute / Ready Brake and the Cooltech harness. Easy, simple and inexpensive. I supplied the labor, one day and $1400, all done.

Consumer reports should stick with toasters. I'm at 90k miles with our 4 door Wrangler and have had no problems. Is it perfect? No. Wind noise? Yes. It's a Jeep Wrangler, not a Lexus LS.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376
I went with Ready Brute / Ready Brake and the Cooltech harness. Easy, simple and inexpensive. I supplied the labor, one day and $1400, all done.

Consumer reports should stick with toasters. I'm at 90k miles with our 4 door Wrangler and have had no problems. Is it perfect? No. Wind noise? Yes. It's a Jeep Wrangler, not a Lexus LS.
Thanks much Rick. Talked very briefly with RV dealer service department. Quoted me $3200 parts and labor. what did you do with Jeep lights? I hear diodes or changing bulbs is needed?
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 View Post

While the ready Brute setup sounds considerable less expensive at first glance the difference bteween that and other more traditional systems may be less than you think.

Blue Ox Aventa II tow bar $499.00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Ox-Aven...77b96b&vxp=mtr

Jeep Blue Ox baseplates: $379.00
Blue Ox BX1126 Base Plate Jeep Wrangler 07-11 | eBay

Brake Buddy: $479.00
Brake Buddy Tow Breaking System Brake Buddy RV Car Towing | eBay

Wiring Harness: $65.95
Blue Ox BX8848 4 Diodes Taillight Wiring Kit | eBay

Total cost $1425.95

The blue Ox/Brake Buddy combination is only $25.00 more than the Ready Brute setup when the owner supplies the installation labor

Note: all the prices are for new equipment found through dealers on e bay. This is just an example of what can be found. The search took less than 5 minutes. There were more expensive and less expensive systems available.

The diodes are used when tapping into the original Jeep wiring harness. They prevent feedback into other electrical circuits when the brake or tail lights are activated by the feeds comming from the motorhome. We've used a diode system on our Jeep for 6 years and 70,000 miles without any problems
Old 06-25-2012, 07:50 AM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
My Jeep is set up like Hikerdog except I installed the US Gear Unified Tow Brake. It allows your unit to have power brakes all the time since it comes with a vacuum pump.

Tags
towing