Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Before I pull the Trigger on Towing Set-up....

I have a Monaco Knight DP and after tons of research on this site I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2010 Jeep Wrangler 4x4 with standard.

Will this setup work for towing the Jeep?
Base Plate substitute - Rock Hard Jeep Bumper http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-5005.htm

Braking - Air Force One
AIR FORCE ONE | SMI Manufacturing Inc.

Tow Bar - Blue Ox AVENTA® LX BX7450
http://www.blueox.com/Uploads/Docs/BX7450.pdf

Light Harness
Cool Tech LLC. JK Tow Harness Kit
Also, how important is it to use a Toad Charger?
TOAD-CHARGE Dinghy Vehicle Battery Charger/Maintainer

Am I missing anything here? Thanks!
Kevin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #2

JMHO, of course, but I'd reconsider that Jeep. Many problems with Jeeps product, especially Wranglers and Libertys.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbill View Post
JMHO, of course, but I'd reconsider that Jeep. Many problems with Jeeps product, especially Wranglers and Libertys.
You may want to get the facts before you post what you believe to be true. I tow our 07 Wrangler 4 door 4x4 auto. So far we've got 87k miles on it. To date, not one failure. The Jeeps looks and drives as new. I've put new shocks and a set of tires and general preventative maintenance as required by the owners manual.
There will always be problems with any car or truck, that's for sure. The Jeep has no more or less than any other. You may want to visit a few forums for Jeeps and preferably Wranglers. They are pretty well received in the market place.

For the original poster:
I use Roadmaster Base plates.
Ready Brute Tow bar and Ready Brake Aux Braking.
CoolTech Wiring harness
I did all the labor in one day for a total price of under $1400.
You do not need to worry about pulling fuses or charging the battery when using my set up on a 2010. The steering doesn't lock and you don't need 12v for anything.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 View Post
You may want to get the facts before you post what you believe to be true. I tow our 07 Wrangler 4 door 4x4 auto. So far we've got 87k miles on it. To date, not one failure. The Jeeps looks and drives as new. I've put new shocks and a set of tires and general preventative maintenance as required by the owners manual.
There will always be problems with any car or truck, that's for sure. The Jeep has no more or less than any other. You may want to visit a few forums for Jeeps and preferably Wranglers. They are pretty well received in the market place.

For the original poster:
I use Roadmaster Base plates.
Ready Brute Tow bar and Ready Brake Aux Braking.
CoolTech Wiring harness
I did all the labor in one day for a total price of under $1400.
You do not need to worry about pulling fuses or charging the battery when using my set up on a 2010. The steering doesn't lock and you don't need 12v for anything.
My opinion was based on the facts. The Wrangler and Liberty are the lowest rated vehicles as published by a consumer group that gets its reports from driving tests as well as from owners of the vehicles in question. The highest rated vehicle was a Lexus LS 460L with a score of 99, lowest was a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited at 20, next lowest was a Jeep Liberty at 27. Contrary to your comment about problems, Jeeps have considerably more problems than other brands and it is not true that "there will always be problems with any car or truck."

I've had a jeep and will not have another. Your happy with yours, wonderful, but I'm talking facts about Jeeps in general, you are talking your one vehicle.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #5

Was the poster asking for opinions on jeeps?
Skyman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I realize that Jeeps have a die hard owner base who have strong opinions about the product. Since this will be a "fifth" car for us, I am not as concerned about reliability as others. I do however appreciate the comments, warnings, and advice on the jeep product. I'm going into this with my eyes open.

I would like to make certain that I can use the bumper in place of the base plate? On other forums (jeep) I read that to be a viable solution.

Thanks.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Drive the Lexus off road and see how many problems you get with it.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Consumer Reports are not highly regarded in the industry. Their survey's are built from their own subscriber base.
Compare a Toyota FJ and a Wrangler and you'd have my attention. A Lexus and Wrangler? Really? Apples and Oranges.
Sorry you didn't have a good experience with your Jeep. What year was it? The new Wranglers and all Jeeps for that matter have made vast improvements over the last few years.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Sent an inquiry to Blue Ox regarding the substitution of a bumper for a base plate. Here is the response I received:

"Thank you for your interest in Blue Ox Towing Products. Yes. However, you will require a tow point compatible with our triple lug design. Therefore, I recommend using the (BX88230) – Universal Blue Ox Bolt On Adapter Tabs, retail cost $95. In the attached file, please find the (BX88230) installation instructions..."

Pulling the trigger.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds good. Take pictures and post often.
Cheers. Happy JK'ing
Old 05-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #11

Hooverbill, Consumer reports hates american automobile products. They love every thing made in Japan.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hook that Jeep up and tow it like you stole it.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 View Post
Consumer Reports are not highly regarded in the industry. Their survey's are built from their own subscriber base.
Compare a Toyota FJ and a Wrangler and you'd have my attention. A Lexus and Wrangler? Really? Apples and Oranges.
Sorry you didn't have a good experience with your Jeep. What year was it? The new Wranglers and all Jeeps for that matter have made vast improvements over the last few years.
Of course the surveys are from their subscriber's base...the owner's fill out surveys on what the like/dislike about their own vehicles, I fill one out every year. The numbers were generic and were based on scoring vehicles against the exact same standards. It's just that Lexus scored higher than everybody compared to the same standard...and the two Jeeps were at the bottom of the same list.

We had an 07 Wrangler...spent as much time in the shop as on the road.

Re a later post saying CU likes Japanese cars better than American cars. They probably do, I certainly do. Except for a half a dozen or so pick ups, I haven't purchased an American vehicle since the 70s. I buy the best available...although they've made progress, as noted above, American vehicles are still behind.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:05 AM   #14

I have. 38v bounder DP an pull a 07 jeep wrangler 4. Down with automatic transfer case in neutral. Transmission in park. Key in ignition stering unlocked an I installed a main battery switch under driver seat works great.
Andycamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing