Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #1

Bent or Dirty Towbar?

I inherited a Falcon 2 tow bar when I bought my first coach. I can't tell if it has been bent or needs good cleaning. Both arms are very difficult to slide at the ends of their travel. I tried removing one of the arms to clean it and couldn't get it past the plate for the other arm at the center pin. Also did not have a hex wrench large enough to fit into the center pin bolt.
Since the previous owner wanted to keep his brake buddy but "threw in" the tow bar I am thinking it might be bent. I guess that I need to disassemble the rods to clean them to verify that's not the issue. Would prefer not to do that work if it will be useless.
What are the symtoms of a bent bar vs one that needs cleaning?
Thanks
Scott

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rssnape View Post
I inherited a Falcon 2 tow bar when I bought my first coach. I can't tell if it has been bent or needs good cleaning. Both arms are very difficult to slide at the ends of their travel. I tried removing one of the arms to clean it and couldn't get it past the plate for the other arm at the center pin. Also did not have a hex wrench large enough to fit into the center pin bolt.
Since the previous owner wanted to keep his brake buddy but "threw in" the tow bar I am thinking it might be bent. I guess that I need to disassemble the rods to clean them to verify that's not the issue. Would prefer not to do that work if it will be useless.
What are the symtoms of a bent bar vs one that needs cleaning?
Thanks
Scott
It's possible it's bent, but it should be easy to make that determination. With the arms fully extended lay a ruler or straight edge along the arm in several places. You shouldn't see any daylight between the straght edge and the bar at any point.

It's more likely there has been a serious amount of crud accumulating causing the bars to get stiff. I've found spraying the bars liberally with WD40 occasionally dissolves a lot of the tar and other road debris that has accumulated.

I hold the bars fully extended in the vertical position and spray them liberally. Wiat a few seconds then try to move the bar. In most cases the bar will move freely and you'll see a lot of black gunk accumulating on the rod as it extends from the housing. Take some paper towels and remove as much as possible before working them in and out again.

After a few repititions of spraying, moving and wiping down the bars they usually move as smooth as glass. Once you get them moving freely take some Fantastic or other similar household cleaner, spray them down liberally, work them several times and rinse them with fresh water. Repeat this a few times to remove any remaining crud and the WD40.

Once all the crud and solvent are removed dry them with a cloth or paper towel. Then spray them with a non petroleum based silicone spray and work them a few more times.

The WD40 is a great solvent and will disolve most crud an road tar. However since it's petroleum based it'll leave a thin film even after it's been wiped off. This film will attract and hold more dirt, making it necessary to clean them again in a short time.

By cleaning it down with a soap type solution you remove the film. Then by spraying them with a non petroleum based silicone you'll once again have the lubricating properties without attracting and holding more dirt.

I've done this process to our Sterling towbar several times over the years. It has towed our jeep over 75,000 miles and works as good as it did the day we installed it.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
A few years ago one of my Falcon arms would bind up. Several places I called said it was bent. One place had me bring it in and it turned out that it was not bent. The problem was caused by me using WD-40 to lube it and over a period of time it caused what you may be seeing in yours. If what the post above said does not work you may need to replace the nylon bushings inside as I had to do. Roadmaster has a kit for this. Turns out mine were really worn out from all the crud and rust that accumulated over a few years. Today I use a silicone spray and always wipe it down.
BTW, Roadmaster told me at a Rally, DO NOT USE WD-40 to lube your tow bar.

You might try a spray can of brake cleaner to help break up the crud in it.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote