Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Best Auxiliary Brake System

I have a 98 Monaco 34' Windsor with a 300 cummins. I am towing a 05 Malibu with a Blue Ox tow bar. As most state now require a brake system for the tow vehicle, I have been looking at the Roadmaster Even Brake, Model 9400 and the RVi Proportional Auxiliary Brake Model 12021. Need some help with the decision from those with the experience using them. If I have overlooked a better and easier system I would like to know that too. Thank you in advance for your help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #2

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I use the M&G system with break away. Air hose from coach to toad for brakes and lanyard from coach to connector on toad. Takes about 1 minute and your good to go. Not the least expensivebut the easiest I've ever seen. I used it for over 10 years on 2 different toads.

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Our choice was the SMI Air Force One since the diesel uses air brakes and the Air Force One system uses air to apply proportional braking. With this system, there is no "brake box" to install/remove in the towed vehicle. Just connect, and drive away. Best of luck with whichever system you choose!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't waste your money on the Invisibrake. I have nothing but problems with it since I got it.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a smilar system to yours and am happy with it however, if I was to do it again I would check out the Readybrake systems. They look to be a pretty well designed surge system, simple, easy to operate. The Ready brute tow bar incorporates braking or you can just select the Ready brake surge receiver as I read it. Seems cost effective to me.

Something to look at as long as you are shopping.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:49 AM   #6

If simple, reliable and easy to use are any parts of the equation, you'll want to know more about the Ready Brake.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you all for sharing your experience and knowledge with me on the very important topic. After reading and with the homework I have done, I know which system will fit my needs. Happy trails.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdermo View Post
Thank you all for sharing your experience and knowledge with me on the very important topic. After reading and with the homework I have done, I know which system will fit my needs. Happy trails.
Care to share?
Old 10-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry I didn't mention my preference, I will be going with the Ready Brake due to the way it is connected, the simplicity of operation and the cost. I don't have to worry about any electrical or pneumatic failures during operation. I did however send an E-Mail to the company asking some additional information about installation because I have adjustable brake pedal. Hopefully the information will be positive. Thank you again to all.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #10

from illustration here ReadyBrake Supplemental Brake System for Towed Vehicles - NSA RV Products (move down to lower page), when toad pushes forward the brake pedal will be pulled to brake. do we need to drill a hole on firewall between engine bay and car inside?
Old 10-09-2012, 06:49 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I installed the RVI braking system in my 08 Jerp toad. It sits on the floor. It takes a couple of minutes to install each time before you leave. It seems go work well and I'm very happy with it.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlcrazier View Post
from illustration here ReadyBrake Supplemental Brake System for Towed Vehicles - NSA RV Products (move down to lower page), when toad pushes forward the brake pedal will be pulled to brake. do we need to drill a hole on firewall between engine bay and car inside?
Yes.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdermo View Post
Sorry I didn't mention my preference, I will be going with the Ready Brake due to the way it is connected, the simplicity of operation and the cost. I don't have to worry about any electrical or pneumatic failures during operation. I did however send an E-Mail to the company asking some additional information about installation because I have adjustable brake pedal. Hopefully the information will be positive. Thank you again to all.
I use mine with adjustable brake pedal, move pedals in to hook up, gives plenty of slack, and out for towing. Set it up in the pedal out position.

Jerry
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #14

readybrake appears to be an effective, reliable yet simple design. the only thing is - on a long slope down, it brakes entire time, thus the brakes will wear quickly - a small cost but worth it. additionally, power assistance will be unavailable.

Tags
brake