Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2013, 03:44 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Best Base Plate for Grand Cherokee

I am in the process of buying a 2011 or 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I will have to install a new Base Plate so I can tow 4 down behind my MH.
I see that these brands are available:
Blue Ox, Demco, Roadmaster.

Can anyone recommend (from experience, if possible) which brand would be the best? I will be installing myself and would like the most secure set-up.
I know the Blue Ox has a removable end that will work with the old Reese hitch that I have.

ALSO, is there an easy way to hook up the rear tow lights to the existing tail light assy? I have a set of magnetic mounts but would prefer a better way.
Advise, Please.

Anyway, please respond with all and any comments. I only want to do this ONCE and be done with it.

Thanks for your time to advise me.
Paul
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #2

My only experience has been Blue Ox. Over 90k towed miles on 2 vehicles, never a problem.I had our first baseplate installed on our 99 Suzuki, wife and I installed the baseplate ourselves on our current Jeep Liberty. Instructions very good from BlueOx.

I believe you can download them from their site, to see what you will need to do.

I used diodes to wire in our Suzuki, on the Liberty I added a stop/taillite bulb at the bottom of the lens assy as there was adequate space.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
X2 DancingCamper. nstalled my own on a 2004 Jeep Cherokee and I am not a real nuts and bolts guy.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I installed a Blue Ox on my 2014 GC, tows great and looks good, you can hardly tell it's there unless you really look. I have about 4300 miles towing it so far with no issues.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:40 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have used Blue Ox base plates on my Jeep's for 10 years with no problems
Old 06-15-2013, 06:04 AM   #6

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I installed my Blue Ox myself in about 5 hours on a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. Love the easy hook up and you can hardly tell it is there without the pins in.

I had the Jeep dealership wire into the factory light harness which plugs into the MOHO to control the lights.
Chickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:28 AM   #7

Since I just moved a BlueOx base plate from our 2010 Wrangler to the newer 2012 Wrangler I thought I would jump in.....

I haven't had a single problem using either the BlueOx base plate or the tow bar. I'm new to motorhoming and dragging a jeep along but in my meager 8000 towing miles not a single problem.

You can install the base plate yourself if you have some experience with cars and tools. Find a friend with a torque wrench if you don't already have one.

For wiring, try Cool Tec. They offer a wiring kit that has factory harness connectors and plugs right in to the jeeps wiring; no extra bulbs to install or drilling.

I did have a bit of an issue with fuses but it turned out to be my mistake in wiring the plug at the front of the vehicle.

Note: The Cool tech kit is a four wire only, I needed an extra two wires for the Patriot Brake system which I have powered from the coach (6 wire plug not 4 wire). You may not have that issue.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #8

I installed the Blue Ox on my 2013 GC a few months ago. I did the installation myself and while it was a little daunting to take the front end off of a brand new vehicle, the installation itself was fairly simple as long as you have the right tools and a little mechanical knowledge/ability.
I also installed a Brakemaster 9160 including the breakaway component, and the TowDaddy light module. I am very happy with all of the parts I used, both in ease of installation, quality of product, and performance. If you go the same route and need some advice during the install, don't hesitate to ask! I would be happy to pass on some of my experience.
fourstar is offline   Reply With Quote