Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Best braking system?

I have the SIMI stay and play duo I put it into my jeep wrangler when I had a 30 ft vista gas coach. And I specially like that my jeep can be hooked to anyone's rv and work as long as you gave the standard 7 pin power cable in the back of a coach. No need to do anything when I moved to my newer 34y journey. Works perfectly. I put the red led bar inside my grill on the jeep so I can easily see it activate when stepping on brake in coach even in bright daylight on rear camera. Better than a device in front of driver seat that would push against a turned off brake system. It has it's own vacuum pump to activate the jeeps brakes. I only have to flip one switch mounted on side wall next to door under dash and it's ready to drive.

sellhomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2014, 07:18 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
US Gear on our Rubicon. Love it.

Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #17

I purchased a used Brake Buddy and have fulltimed a dozen years with it. It has never skipped a beat.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #18

I was convinced the US Gear Unified Brake was the way to go - called a local dealer who told me they won't install that system anymore. They said that while everything operates as intended, it doesn't work to stop the vehicle. Now I am totally confused!?
It did seem like a good system even though there are not that many advocates on this forum. Guess I am back to the RVi2 system or the Stay in Play Duo.

Rkc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:41 PM   #19

I'm kinds of fanatic about the rv2. I had a big rig abruptly Chang lanes and dropped a load in front of me. I couldn't change lanes and when the rv2 engaged the brakes I stopped in time. I'm talking about the kind of stop that stuff is moving everywhere in the coach. For me, it worked as intended.
I will also tell you that I had an issue with my first unit. The compressor in the unit would not shut off. They overnighted a new unit to the campground, no troubleshooting, no questions. Great customer service. Finally, no I have no affiliation with these folks, just a happy customer.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
That dealer doesn't know what he is talking about! He obviously has never tested one.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:20 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
X4 RVi brake

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
2013 Lincoln MKX - Roadmaster Falcon 2 - RVi brake - TireSafe Guard TPMS
JRPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:33 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club

This one might go on for a while....
greg6746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:04 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 View Post
US Gear on our Rubicon. Love it.
X2 on UTB
Old 09-12-2014, 08:12 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkc02 View Post
I was convinced the US Gear Unified Brake was the way to go - called a local dealer who told me they won't install that system anymore. They said that while everything operates as intended, it doesn't work to stop the vehicle. Now I am totally confused!?
It did seem like a good system even though there are not that many advocates on this forum. Guess I am back to the RVi2 system or the Stay in Play Duo.
The US Gear system works great. I have been using it for 7 years with no problems. It takes longer to install than most of the braking systems out there and could be why the dealer does not want to install it. Starting in 2006 Monaco and Winnebago coaches were pre-wired for this system at the factory. I installed it myself one weekend taking my time. If your handy you can install it yourself.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have installed mine in three different Wranglers. Every time I trade, I just remove the system from the old vehicle and re-install in the new one. Just follow the instructions.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #26

Does the vacuum assist on the US Gear system work well? I do like that aspect of a 'soft' or 'live' pedal since it seems logical the braking would be better as it is designed to work. I liked everything I read about the unified brake system and especially the direct endorsement from Freightliner. The only negative has come from the dealer. (Glad he's not selling my products.....).
Thanks for the replies confirming the US Gear system is a good one - I am inclined to try the install myself now.

Rkc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:37 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, the vacuum assist works very well. The install takes a good bit of time but the installation instructions are good.