Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:37 PM   #1

Best break-away system options for surge brakes

Just purchased a toad to drag behind four-down. This is my first towed car experience, so still on the learning curve. It's a Fiat 500C that will soon have a BlueOx base plate installed. Purchased a used ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/surge brake combo from another forum member.

My current issue is how to best implement a break-away system.

I can't think of an easy way to do it electrically, and I don't want to add a pedal-pusher in the driver foot well .... that's why elected for the surge brake, after all. NSA offers a second cable system that runs from the RV to the brake pedal. If a break away occurs, the second cable gets stretched out until a sacrificial link breaks. The cable pull depresses the brake pedal and is held with a one-way locking device.

Anyone out there implement a different break-away for mechanical surge brakes?

Thanks for any tips.

Karl

Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2016, 07:04 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Karl,

Checkout the Readybrute website, they sell the breakaway kit.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:04 PM   #3

I have the NSA one that you mention, it looks like it will work well, though I hope I'll never have to find out.

It's simple and I can't really see any way it could not work when required. My only worry is perhaps kids messing around and pulling it, but it's easy enough to reset.

Depending on how you route the cable, it could do some damage to the toad when it's pulled tight, but I figure that by the time I need it, the toad is a rolling missile anyway and the kit is just to save damage to others, not my toad.

Steve
stevemoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:06 AM   #4

Hey Steve,

I'm also concerned about the routing of that cable and what will happen when pulled tight in a break away situation. I don't understand why NSA doesn't use a sheathed cable just like the surge brake cable. Sheath secured at both ends and along its route. Might minimize damage.

Karl
Old 06-22-2016, 03:46 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would use the NSA breakaway system! The running of the cable is not that critical! When you've got the weight of a car pulling against it, it's gonna pull and lock that brake pedal!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:47 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with Joe, and as far as worrying about any damage the cable may cause if pulled in the event of a runaway I think you are worried about the wrong thing. Any damage if any at all, will be minor compared to the damage that may occur to your vehicle in the event of a runaway. Even with the ReadyStop cable installed, or any other device, your vehicle is going to continue to move for a while depending on how fast you are moving when the breakaway occurs. Think collision, liability, accidental death! The chances of ever using the breakaway cable stop is slim, which is a good thing, but if it's needed I'm not going to worry about what damage the cable itself may cause.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:57 AM   #7

Great inputs ... thanks. Puts the cable damage into perspective.

Karl
Old 06-23-2016, 09:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Think collision, liability, accidental death! The chances of ever using the breakaway cable stop is slim, which is a good thing, but if it's needed I'm not going to worry about what damage the cable itself may cause.
Agreed 100%.

If my Jeeps already on the loose, then I'm concerned about saving others, not the Jeep, it's insured.

It's going to pull pretty tight, and might damage plastic, but there's an aluminum link that's designed to break, so I can't see it pulling tight enough damage anything metallic.

I would still route it away from critical components like brake lines, kind of defeats the purpose if it damages a brake line while trying to stop.

Steve

stevemoores is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes