Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2016, 09:15 AM   #1

Best car or truck to tow

what is the best car or truck to tow always take a trailer .but sometimes no room for trailer at camp grounds.hubby is a chevy man so what chevy?
diporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2016, 09:42 AM   #2

Best car or truck

Not a Chevy..........but Jeep is in my opinion is the best. Easy and trouble free
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:12 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Any front wheel drive car on a dolly...
Inexpensive, easy, no mods to the car (like base-plates in the car's critical crush zone) no hidden miles on the car's lower drive-line, and dollies can easily have integral brakes...not required in many places, but smart and safer.

The list of car's that can safely be towed "flat" (on all 4 wheels) is shrinking and shrinking...but the best flat tow is the real Jeep. If you flat tow, hope you get supplemental brakes in the car with a break-away device.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by diporter View Post
what is the best car or truck to tow always take a trailer .but sometimes no room for trailer at camp grounds.hubby is a chevy man so what chevy?
Well,
You don't say what you're going to be towing this "Chevy" with. Are you using a Diesel, Gas, Class A., C, what? These are some things that are needed to be stated because, there's at least TWO kinds/models of Chevy (in a truck version) that can be flat towed. No, you DON'T want a trailer for the reason you stated. It can be very difficult to find a place for the trailer at many, many campsites, RV parks and more across the nation, without pre-planning and calls made to destination campgrounds.

As for which model of Chevy. Just about any 1500 1/2 ton version that is 4WD. It must be 4WD because those models have what's called a "Transfer Case". That unit is what divides the power to be sent to both the front and rear axles. And, it has a "Neutral" in it. In that, When the transfer case is placed in Neutral, then the incoming revolutions from both drive shafts turning due to being towed, will not harm anything in both the transfer case or, the transmission.

Or, you could go a Chevy Colorado in the same configuration, 4WD. Again, 4WD is needed for the reasons explained above. The Colorado is simply a smaller, lighter version of the 1500 4x4 1/2 ton. DO NOT look for a 2WD in either of those trucks, it won't work without some serious mods. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:48 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am also a chevy man. They always say Jeeps are best (and I may get one for my DW), but the 2013 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4 pick up is trouble free. It is stable, easy to put transfer case in neutral, and no fuses to pull because it tows with the transmission in Park and the key removed. No worries about running down the battery. The owner's manual directly addresses flat towing as a normal (not emergency) procedure.

The only question is if your MH will have the tow rating to pull it. My truck is about 5500lbs. My MH is rated at 10000lbs for flat towing.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:23 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jeeps!
TOAD #1 2016 Jeep Rubicon
TOAD #2 1983 Jeep CJ7
Digz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:29 PM   #7

Been towing a 2012 Chevy Equinox for several years, approved for flat towing, no restrictions, put in neutral and pull one easy to access fuse and away you go.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
mmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:17 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since we only use it as a Toad and an around town errand/sight seeing car we bought a Chevy Spark with a 5 sp manual trans. Lightweight (around 2,246 #'s), back seats lay down for extra cargo space/dogs if needed. You can barely tell it is behind our Allegro with the Workhorse Chassis with the 8.1L engine. No fuses to pull, no restrictions, put in neutral, release the brake and turn ignition to 1st click to unlock steering wheel (Not Accessory) and go.

The best thing about it is the price. When we bought ours new in 2013 it was $13,000 out the door including tax, tag and title.

Good luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:36 PM   #9

The best thing about it is the price. When we bought ours new in 2013 it was $13,000 out the door including tax, tag and title

Heck, that's barely a down payment on most of todays cars, trucks, SUVs, and JEEPs.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:18 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
We chose a 2012 Fiat 500 pop. 5 speed manual transmission. Put it in neutral, no fuses to pull, no wheel lock, ready to go. Base plate is Blue Ox which I was able to install. Tow bar is Blue Ox Avail. We use a Ready Brake 6" extra long drop receiver so the tow is level.
The Fiat is small, light weight, and fun to drive. Weight is about 2300 lbs. With back seats down, a surprising amount of room for cargo.
Fits in small parking spots which were frequently the only ones in the National Parks this summer.
Our RV is a 2007 Fleetwood Expedition with 300 hp Cat. Allison 6000 transmission.
Overall happy with the choice, the only drawback is it's not really suited for off-road adventures due to low clearance, but for errands, sight seeing, it meets the need.
TRV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:48 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhp View Post
I am also a chevy man. They always say Jeeps are best (and I may get one for my DW), but the 2013 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4 pick up is trouble free. It is stable, easy to put transfer case in neutral, and no fuses to pull because it tows with the transmission in Park and the key removed. No worries about running down the battery. The owner's manual directly addresses flat towing as a normal (not emergency) procedure.

The only question is if your MH will have the tow rating to pull it. My truck is about 5500lbs. My MH is rated at 10000lbs for flat towing.
One more thing to add: Look at the Dinghy Towing Guides: Downloadable Dinghy Guides | MotorHome Magazine to find out details about towing specifics for each vehicle model. The guide will list the manufacturer's maximum towing speed. For a great number of vehicles the speed will be limited to 60 or 65 MHP. You might think "no problem, I will never go over 65" but if you get on some big grades out west, you will probably go over 65 occasionally. Will the toad disintegrate when you hit 65? I doubt it, but one more thing to worry about.

Your Jeeps and 4x4 Pickups generally do not have speed limitations because you are disengaging the transfer case and they are truly freewheeling.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:51 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorgan View Post
Been towing a 2012 Chevy Equinox for several years, approved for flat towing, no restrictions, put in neutral and pull one easy to access fuse and away you go.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Your Equinox is limited to a maximum tow speed of 65 MPH.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:16 AM   #13

If you can break away from Chevy, go Jeep.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:40 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
The best thing about it is the price. When we bought ours new in 2013 it was $13,000 out the door including tax, tag and title

Heck, that's barely a down payment on most of todays cars, trucks, SUVs, and JEEPs.
Scott
You got that right. I just bought a new 2016 GMC Sierra SLE reg cab 4X4 to replace my 88 Chevy Silverado that got stolen. $37,740 and change out the door. The GMC is towable if we decide to change from the Spark.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow