Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:34 PM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you want a good 4 door sedan that requires no special treatment at all to flat tow, the only current choice is the Chevy Cruze... any year

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #30

We tow a Honda fit 5 speed and love it.
With the back seats down it holds lots of extra stuff that the bins can't.

Ron,KD6LA & Dinora WB6EBX

2005 Bounder 32ft.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:12 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The only Honda's towable four down after the 2004 model year were the Fit and CR-V. We went all through that with Honda's legal dept and the OR and CA AG's offices. Finally got Honda to pay for the towing gear we bought but only because we got it in writing in Dec 2004 from Honda on Honda letterhead. Some '05 Pilot's owners manuals did say they were towable but Honda legal says they were misprints.
I've been towing my 2005 Honda Pilot since it was new and never experienced any problems, and yes, the owners manual does give the procedure for setting it up for towing. I added a charge line to keep battery charged since I use a Patriot brake and it depends on power from the toad battery.

2005 Honda Pilot toad
photoguy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:52 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbob48 View Post
If you want a good 4 door sedan that requires no special treatment at all to flat tow, the only current choice is the Chevy Cruze... any year
The Chevy Cruze with Automatic Transmission has not been on the approved dinghy towing list for several years.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:07 AM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Our Decision

We dealt with this a year ago, we wanted to tow 4 down and a car that was comfortable and 4 door. After some research I found that the Chevrolet Malibu, over several years, could be towed 4 down needing only to remove a fuse. I found one, a 2007 Mailbu Maxx that had only been used by owners for same purpose, had very low miles, had the base plate installed, a switch installed to avoid removing the fuse, was wired for lights and had the blue ox tow bar with it. We love it, nice riding 4 door comfortable car that tows easily. The only way I know it is back there is to look in the rear view camera. I looked at other options, including tow dolly, jeeps, small pickups, etc. Love the Malibu, hook up and go, we have it down to about 2-3 minutes. Sweet!!
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf View Post
A lot of that depends on your needs when using the toad and not towing it. We have a gas MH and tow a CRV. It tows easily and fits our needs very well when unhooked. We wanted to tow 4 down and have a car with good gas mileage.
X2 on the CR-V! 4 down, plenty of leg room in back seat for 2 adults or 3 children, nice space for cargo, seats lay felt for more cargo, great fuel mileage and it tows like nothing is back there. Holds its value over time.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #35

Forest River Owners Club
I towed a Jeep Wrangler for several years. I finally got tired of the noise and no-heat, plus it was getting harder and harder to get in and out of, especially when we had passengers. And I couldn't tow anything with it, and couldn't haul much in the back. I changed to a Jeep Liberty. It has all of the Wrangler's good points, plus it is comfortable, quiet, warm, easy to get in and out of, even for the passengers. We can haul a lot in the back, including our fold-up bikes. And when I want to tow a fishing boat, or our trike to take with, it's no problem. It has a high tow rating. The ease of hook-up and disconnect is same as the Wrangler, gets better mileage than the Wrangler, has cruise control and air-conditioning. It is heavier than a CRV, and doesn't get as good gas mileage. But it can tow more, is easier to hook-up, and less of an investment. You can't go wrong with a Jeep Liberty!
Old 11-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillbilly View Post
is easier to hook-up
Do not understand this comment? I use a Demco tow bar and it is no more difficult to hook up a CR-V then a Jeep. I have a charge wire so I do not need to pull the fuse just plug in the electrical connection and off we go.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
KIA Soul
We have an older Class A with a 3500# hitch limit so weight was #1 concern. Started out looking at Chevy Spark (too small), went to Chevy Sonic, was trying to make a deal on Sonic when we looked at the KIA.
Lots more room in the KIA, 2700#'s, very easy for my 6'4" 70 year old body in and out. Also, fun to drive with the 6 speed manual
Old 11-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
lol, yours' cooler... you won oh, except... yours rocks your butts off, mine massage me gentle ...
It will rock a bit off-road, but on thr highway it is no longer your grandpas Jeep.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #39
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Which of course voids your power train warranty on newer Honda's and yes, the service dept's do look for the brackets and wiring.
But, it does seem that Honda relied on their "bean counters" to come up with the new towing info rather than what actually works.
Yeah, but my 2009 is out of warranty anyway.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #40

Is your Liberty 2WD or 4WD? Does it make a difference for towing?
rvgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The only Honda's towable four down after the 2004 model year were the Fit and CR-V..... Some '05 Pilot's owners manuals did say they were towable but Honda legal says they were misprints.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
I agree with JFXG. We have a 2009 Element and it is a great toad..... forget what Honda says, just follow the CRV towing instructions and no problems.
Quote:
Which of course voids your power train warranty on newer Honda's .... But, it does seem that Honda relied on their "bean counters" to come up with the new towing info rather than what actually works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy1313 View Post
I've been towing my 2005 Honda Pilot since it was new.... the owners manual does give the procedure for setting it up for towing....
Some years ago we (Element Owners Group) went round and round amongst ourselves and with Honda USA about flat towing and the Element max tow weight. It was around 2005 or 06 that the changes all came about, and it was concluded (without admission) that engineering had nothing to do with it. The flat tow section was simply removed from the OM, thus rendering it "not recommended", and the max tow weight on US Elements was confirmed at 1500#, even though identical Elements in Australia and some other countries are approved for towing 2000#. It all came from legal, had nothing to do with engineering.

So, for Elements and some other Hondas warranty could be an issue for some, and possibly insurance coverage, but capability is not the issue.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #42

There is no "one best" car to tow. Lots of cars, pickups, and SUVs are towable either four down or on a dolly. I think most people agree that four down is easiest. So your next step is to decide what type or vehicle do you like to drive normally. Do you want a luxury sedan, sub compact, SUV, or ...... Remember you will be driving it a lot more than you'll be towing it.
Next check out "Motorhome" magazine's dingy towing guide for the year vehicle your looking at, it will tell you if it's towable and what steps or precautions are needed.
In short, the best tow vehicle is what works best for you.

Selah is offline   Reply With Quote