Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #57

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
We have been towing our Saturn but want to switch over to the CR-V. This is a 2012 with all wheel drive. The dealer said it can be flat towed. Question.....does the key need to be left on or in acc. position? Would this unit require a "hot" line to keep the battery charged?
The manual is very clear on the correct process. Just follow those instructions.

It is not required that you install a charge wire, even though this is usually simply using one of the pins on the wire harness, but the manual simply says that if you are going to tow it over 7 hrs at a time, simply start it when you stop and let it run a few minutes. No big deal. Again, the manual is clear on that as well. Just read what it says regarding Recreational Towing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #58

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
On mine, 2013 CR-V FWD, and I must leave the key in the ignition and turned to accessory to unlock the steering wheel. I have a charge wire installed so I do not need to pull a fuse or install a switch to disable the fuse to the radio. My braking system must be plugged in to operate therefore installing the charge wire serves to keep the battery charged for the braking system as well. When I had my base plate installed they connected the charge wire along with the other electrical connections for brake lights.
X2... I see you were responding at the same time...

Old 11-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post

It is not required that you install a charge wire, even though this is usually simply using one of the pins on the wire harness, but the manual simply says that if you are going to tow it over 7 hrs at a time, simply start it when you stop and let it run a few minutes. No big deal. Again, the manual is clear on that as well. Just read what it says regarding Recreational Towing.
Unfortunately, the factory recommendation doesn't take into account any draw on the toad battery, such as an auxiliary brake controller. Having the charge line in place will ensure proper care of the toad battery and no unpleasant surprises at the end of a long day's drive.

2005 Honda Pilot toad
photoguy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #60

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy1313 View Post
Having the charge line in place will ensure proper care of the toad battery and no unpleasant surprises at the end of a long day's drive.
Agreed.

Regardless, just saying, if you stop like I do (usually at least every 4 to 6 hrs) and simply make it a routine to start the toad for a few minutes, you should not have any surprises...

Obviously, if you left the lights, radio, and/or other things on.... LOL
Old 11-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #61

Damon Owners Club
04 Saturn Vue with a ReadyBrute.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-685679832.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	579.4 KB
ID:	49425  
patsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
We towed a 2006 Chevy HHR for 7 years. weighed 3,095#. Towed like a charm, easy to hook and un-hook. Installed a switch for the #8 fuse and DW loved the vehicle when not RVing. In 2013, we decided to get a new car. Chevy quit making the HHR, so we bought a Buick Encore. DW loves it but you can't tow it 4 down. Oh well, I put a set of brackets on my 2012 Chevy Colorado pickup and that's what we are towing now. It weighs 4,200# but with our DP it does'nt know it's there. Plus, now DW can buy more stuff to load it down..lol...

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #63

We towed a 2008 Chevy Tahoe with Auto transmission, Rear Wheel Drive, Modifications: ROADMASTER TOW KIT, DRIVE SHAFT DISCONNECT & M & G ENGINEERING BRAKE CONTROL, we towed this with a 400hp 2006 Beaver 42' deasel with air brake line from the coach to the Tahoe. No problems at all it was like the Tahoe wasn't there, no mileage added it always started, no dead battery and lots of extra storage in Tahoe
2006 Beaver 42' Patriot 400hp CAT
2008 Chevy Tahoe
Old 11-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #64

Ford Super Duty Owner
2013 Kia Soul

I have towed a 2009 jeep unlimited to heavy a 2011 Chevy Malibu to low to ground would drag front. Best so Far the 2013 Kia Soul Light weight and tows great. I picked one with the larger engine and Love the manual 6 speed. Removed the steering wheel lock so no key needed. US brake system for easy Hook up all This for under 16K
Old 11-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Wrangler.
Nuff said
X's 2!
Old 11-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #66

The Fiat 5oo stick tranny tows 4 down and is 2363lbs and roughly 15.5k street price for the basic vehicle...and delivers 31/40 mileage. Motorhome mag review:
The Italian Job: Fiat Returns to the US

Old 11-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #67

where do I find the approved dingy towing list? Can a Prius be towed four down?
Old 11-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Summer- Lake Diefenbaker, SK; winter- Westbay Marine Village, Victoria, BC
We tow a 2012 Ford Explorer 4X4 on a Blue Ox bar. I carry my Lowe Jon Boat on an Eide Boat loader on the rack. We have three row seating and lots of carrying space. The Ford also has their great GPS system which gets lots of use when we have the MH parked. Easy set up procedure with a Toad Charge to keep the battery up. And the profits stay in America!
jim.smithjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #69

2011 Honda CRV 4WD. Easy to tow, comfortable to drive, plenty of cargo room, has heated seats and satellite radio!! We love it!! (We did add the "Toad Charger" system to avoid dead battery).
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyboy70 View Post
where do I find the approved dingy towing list? Can a Prius be towed four down?
Towing Guide | Seattle Everett Washington
Towing Guides - Lichtsinn Motors - Forest City Iowa Dealer

If there are baseplates made for it, it is probably four down towable:
Store : Remco
http://demco-products.com/assets/use...e_Fit_list.pdf
http://roadmasterinc.com/bg_/bg_rmi_std.pdf
Blue Ox Products

Ultimately, the owners manual for the vehicle you are considering should be consulted for an RV or recreational towing advisory.

2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote