Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2016, 06:09 AM   #43

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Don't have to disconnect battery like the focus ?
Actually I think most Fords cannot be flat towed , unless maybe the newest ones have changed .
Really?? I speak from experience, not from conjecture...
FORD has one of the most EXTENSIVE list of easily towable AUTOMATIC vehicles of any of the manufacturers! http://webcontent.goodsam.com/motorh...inghyGuide.pdf

and, no, a disconnect is NOT required... nice.

by the way, looking for a Honda? sorry, they're not even on the list any more : /
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2016, 08:28 AM   #44

As I said , unless maybe the newest ones have changed. This is s 2016 guide
You said your focus is s 2014 . According to what I've read & according to Ford Fleet when I called them , the 2012-2014 Focus automatic is towable , neg. battery post must be disconnected.
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:51 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
everyone will have a different personal view on the subject of TOADs, just like the subject of DIESEL versus GAS motorhomes, etc...

experience is the best indicator - 2014 Ford Fiesta SE automatic, towed 54,000 miles in 2 1/2 years, put in neutral and pull, no problems(no matter what the internet may say!)...
...most of Ford's products, including automatics, are towable.

I dare anyone to find a vehicle that is simpler to tow, and own. : )
The '71 VW Beetle I just bought to use as toad. Tow bar hooks right up to the beam axle. 1600 lbs. Cheap parts and easy to fix. No radiator. Good off road capability. Towed it home behind my Crown Vic like it wasn't there.
winterbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:44 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As seen in the previous posts...cars that can flat tow are a shrinking collection.

We use a dolly...it's just safer for the car:
No need to cut the car's front fascia for base-plates in the critical crush zone of the car's front end...
No rock strikes with the car up high on the dolly...
No miles added to the lower driveline of the car...
No extra cost to change cars...
No penalty at resale - explaining those holes in the car's front fascia or those unrecorded miles.

And you can tow any front wheel drive car...no modifications to the car...period.

Dollies do not require registration in most places. And at only 4-5 foot long, it fits easily under the front or rear of the RV when parked for extended periods at an RV park spot...we've never been asked to store it off site.

We take the same or less time to load and unload the car as our travel partners who flat tow. And with proper set-up, there is no reason to ever kneel under the car during loading.
It's so odd...Folks will spend hundreds of dollars to modify a car to flat towing, but won't spend a few bucks to add a chain hoop or cable loop to the car's frame to connect safety chains more easily when dolly towing

Pick a dolly and your car (any front wheel drive car) will be very happy on the dolly

And here's an idea...go to U-Haul and rent a dolly to tow any front wheel drive car that is handy, for a trip or two. If you hate it, no problem and little lost cash. U-Haul dollies are SUPER STRONG (but heavy) Master Tow style units and will give a taste of what it's like to have the car along.

Which ever way the OP picks to tow a car...and anyone else...PLEASE get brakes, with a brake-away device for the car. It is not required in many places, but smart and safer.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:00 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbeater View Post
The '71 VW Beetle I just bought to use as toad. Tow bar hooks right up to the beam axle. 1600 lbs. Cheap parts and easy to fix. No radiator. Good off road capability. Towed it home behind my Crown Vic like it wasn't there.
Hey welcome to the fold...
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow