Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:49 PM   #1
Best / easiest Tow Dolly?

I know I hate to say this...but I am thinking about going back to a tow dolly. My current vehicle that I can tow 4 down is getting long in the tooth and the replacement vehicle my wife will want will not be an option to towing 4 down. So it would be back to towing my car on a dolly.

I had previously owned a Tow Master with Surge brakes - It wasn't the hardest to setup but a pain to crawl underneath to place pin and chains. I was thinking someone on the past recommended something else as the mechanism to lock into place was farther forward. Obviously, I still would have to strap the tires down but that wasn't so bad even on rainy days. Crawling underneath wasn't as desirable.

So I am throwing this out there for an opinion or two(tow)? TIA.

Mickey Alberto
2016 Georgetown XL 350TS
Sour Lake, Texas
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2015, 05:23 AM   #2
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't do it!

So if your wife was the one who had to hook the car up to the tow dolly, would she still want the same replacement vehicle? lol

As someone who used a tow dolly for 10 years before I saw the light of 4-down towing, remember the bad times:
- finding a place to stow your dolly (both at home and in the campground)
- crawling under there to hook and unhook on hot or rainy or cold days
- laying across the pea gravel in a campground to get the chains on
- wondering will the lights work when you plug it in
- trying to make those sharp turns in gas stations and campgrounds and denting the side of your toad
- trying to line the car up on the ramps just right. An inch this way, an inch that way
- straps. Are they too tight? Too loose? How did they come off while driving?
- having your bike rack attached to your toad hitch contact the ground on every bump

and many, many more...

Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:28 AM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The best? In my opinion Demco KarKaddy. The easiest????? Don't know that any would be that.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:31 AM   #4
I have an ez tow dolly and like it a lot. I especially like that I can stand it up on end to store it in my garage and it takes up very little space. You can look up my posts on the subject if you're interested. But there's no getting around all the things the 2nd poster mentioned, although I think it's not quite that bad.

We generally do trips less than 100 miles and don't bother towing for those. My wife just meets me at the campground.

Have you considered a full tow trailer? Depending on storage space, tow weight capacity of your MH that might be an alternative.
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2014 CRV w/EZ Tow
jondrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:01 AM   #5
FWIW Buy the car first. If it has a locking steering column get a dolly that steers. If it does not have a locking column get one without steering. Saves some hassle.

Craigslist sometimes has some good deals. Check the wiring before buying. Mice love it. Rewired the Stehltow we use with external wires.

The first time you load have someone check the approach. If the nose hits the dolly before the wheels hit the ramps add a couple of planks the ramps come down on and long enough to raise the nose as the wheels come up on the planks then roll up the ramps. Short planks are easy to pull out the side or pick up after one pulls forward then stow in the back of the vehicle. OTOH I have no interest in any dolly with separate ramps. PITA I do not need. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:21 AM   #6
We had a Roadmaster 2000-1 dolly for several years and thought it was very easy to use. It has several nice features like steerable wheels, built in storage compartments, built in ramps that raise and lower as the car is loaded or unloaded. Built in safety chains, and electric brakes along with some other nice features.

We put over 25,000 miles on it before moving to a Jeep Wrangler that had to be towed 4 down. It handled great and because of the steerable wheels followed directly in the path of the rear wheels of the motorhome. If we eventually buy another car that can't be towed 4 down we would definitely buy another one.
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm partial to and have come to respect and enjoy using our American Car Dolly.

Just drove it from Georgia, to Alaska to Florida and back home towing it with our Focus on board. All went perfectly on some VERY rough roads. No glitches. A very stout but easy to use piece of equipment.

The wife and I get it all hooked up in about 10 minutes.

We used to tow our Jeep 4 down, but the DW said no more clutches and shifting AND she wanted an FWD compact automatic.

I love the dolly over 4 down and plan to stay that way with our situation.

Joe a/k/a "Americanrascal"
2016 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q +tow dolly
8th RV to sit in our driveway in 35 years
americanrasc is offline   Reply With Quote

dolly, tow, tow dolly