Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:53 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Best Flat Tow for 2012 Ford EDGE

We have a 2012 Ford Edge Sport. I would like to flat tow with our Thor Axis MH. We currently are towing a Prius on a Tow Dolly. (to much trouble).
Our local Camping World Service center quoted us $3700.00. This included everything needed....base plate, braking system, tow bar, installation, etc.
I was wondering if there was a less expensive way to go?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2015, 05:09 PM   #2

You don't specify what they are quoting but in general, unless you are prepared and equipted to do the labor portion yourself, the price quoted sounds fair.
Personally, I would search out a Hitch Shop that will give you a second quote using Blue Ox base plate and tow bar with what ever braking system you choose. I tend to lean toward the Blue Ox product because of its simplicity and clean look when disconnected but that's just me.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:25 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
The quote:
Base Plate HOOII 07 FORO EDGE & #4408-1 $439.00
Falcon 2 Tow Bar #520 $590.00
Falcon 2 Tow Bar Accessory Kit #9243-21'9240 $289.00
Fuse Master long1 20 Amps #76511 $79.99
Roadmaster lnvisiBrake #8700 $899.00
BRAKE LIGHT RELAY KT $39.99
Supplies $125.00
Installation $988.00
Old 06-22-2015, 07:21 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The Edge is a good toad I think one of the best I have ever towed, I towed a 2011 Edge SE for a year or so, instead of cutting holes in my grill I just removed it and it , one thing you will need is a charge line from the coach chassis battery to the toad battery, easy fix a 20 A fuse or breakers the each battery and #10 wire. Is your edge a SEL or Limited ? You can generally find used tow equipment on Hitch Trader or generally find cheaper New tow bars and brackets on E Bay or other dealers rather than Camping World. The bracket installation is not a hard job I do all my installations, you can go to the Roadmaster web site find the bracket number you posted and see the parts and instructions. Click on the link to see the brackets.
http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdfinst/4408-1.pdf
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
The Edge is a good toad I think one of the best I have ever towed, I towed a 2011 Edge SE for a year or so, instead of cutting holes in my grill I just removed it and it , one thing you will need is a charge line from the coach chassis battery to the toad battery, easy fix a 20 A fuse or breakers the each battery and #10 wire. Is your edge a SEL or Limited ? You can generally find used tow equipment on Hitch Trader or generally find cheaper New tow bars and brackets on E Bay or other dealers rather than Camping World. The bracket installation is not a hard job I do all my installations, you can go to the Roadmaster web site find the bracket number you posted and see the parts and instructions. Click on the link to see the brackets.

http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdfinst/4408-1.pdf

Walt,
Could you provide a bit more detail on installing the charge line. Thanks.
Jerry
Old 06-22-2015, 08:10 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you or a friend has have the tools and a free afternoon you can install a Blue OX BX2628 base plate. You will save => 3 hours of shop charges. http://blueox.com/products/baseplate...ruise-control/
I like the looks of the Blue OX over the Roadmaster and there are no spreader bar, or cables to install each time required. Hitch up is easier and faster.

The DW and I just finished an install on a 2012 Flex, not a bad job at all and I know it was done by the BOOK.

Flex Baseplate Installed

We already had the towbar and brake in the box. I used separate bulbs.

Welcome to iRV2
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:20 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Jerry what i did is buy two 12 volt 20 amp resettable breakers or use two 20 amp fuses and I ran a #12 wire from the battery on the Chassis of the coach (the battery that is used to start the coach engine) to the plug on the rear of the coach or you can use a male female one wire plug, you will need to use one of the wires in the cable from the coach to the front of the toad or run a separate wire with two male plugs to hook the toad to the coach then run the wire to the toad battery and add another 20 A fuse or breaker. I added a diode at my toad battery but most folks add the diode and most folks use #10 wire but the #12 wire was able to keep the all of my toads batteries up, 03 Honda Element, 10 Equinox, 11 Edge, 13 Ford 150, , 14 Chevy Spark and a 15 Kia Soul.
Did you see the message i posted for you? look at the top right .
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Jerry what i did is buy two 12 volt 20 amp resettable breakers or use two 20 amp fuses and I ran a #12 wire from the battery on the Chassis of the coach (the battery that is used to start the coach engine) to the plug on the rear of the coach or you can use a male female one wire plug, you will need to use one of the wires in the cable from the coach to the front of the toad or run a separate wire with two male plugs to hook the toad to the coach then run the wire to the toad battery and add another 20 A fuse or breaker. I added a diode at my toad battery but most folks add the diode and most folks use #10 wire but the #12 wire was able to keep the all of my toads batteries up, 03 Honda Element, 10 Equinox, 11 Edge, 13 Ford 150, , 14 Chevy Spark and a 15 Kia Soul.
Did you see the message i posted for you? look at the top right .

Thanks Walt. I did not see the message. You mean in my private messages?

Tags
ford, tow